U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 03:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,644 times

Advertisements

Okay, so about 45 minutes ago, my cat started acting weird. He was laying on my bed like he usually does when I sleep, when he suddenly started glancing really quickly around the room, like he was watching a bug fly around or something. Then he rolled over onto his back and started twitching and shaking, mouth and eyes wide open. I ran to get my parents and when we came back to my room, he was sitting on my bed, breathing heavy, and his pupils wouldn't dilate when I turned a light on. He didn't seem to notice when I spoke to him or touched him. Then he started to purr quietly, and it got louder when I petted him after that, but his pupils were still huge. My dad and I got him to stand up and follow us into the living room, where he kept purring loudly and butting his head up against our legs and all that lovey stuff. When we went back to our rooms, he started meowing, really loud and insistent, like something was still wrong. I went back into the living room and started petting him again and he went back to the loud purring. After I went back to my room a second time, he seemed fine. He's sitting at the foot of my bed now and he's acting normal, his pupils are back to normal.

What just happened? A kitty seizure? Could it happen again? I'd take him to a vet, but it's three in the morning and my parents went back to sleep. They said he's purring and he's walking, so he's fine. I know I sometimes worry too much, but really... do I have a reason to this time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:37 AM

672 posts, read 4,926,755 times
It sounds like your cat had a seizure and you should have it checked first thing in the morning. A friend of mine had a cat with epilepsy, it would have a seizure and then go back to normal. You need to have it checked, if it's epilepsy your cat will have another seizure.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 AM

2 posts, read 5,644 times
I need to go to school in the morning, but I'll make sure my parents take him. Thank you for your help.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 AM

9,353 posts, read 18,597,362 times
yeah ... sounds like a seizure..... and that a trip to the vet is in order.....

good luck and let us know what the vet says and how the kitty is doing......

Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,269,940 times
Agreed...sounds like a seizure. It could happen again. It happened to one of our cats as his health started to fail at the age of 15 y/o...although it may NOT even be the same issue for your cat. If I recall correctly, the ER at the time told us only to rush our cat to them if the siezure lasted more than 8 minutes. That seems like an eternity!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM

19,859 posts, read 61,567,042 times
All the above is good advice! Please let us know what the vet said.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,940,292 times
I'd be off to the vet for sure. Do keep us posted!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,781,947 times
Definitely have your cat checked. Let us know how he's doing.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 PM

511 posts, read 2,103,404 times
Yep, seizure. If he keeps having them the vet can prescribe meds to help. Could be he may only have the one. It's a hard thing to watch, sorry this happened to your kitty If he has more just make sure he is in a safe place where he can't fall or get hurt. Good luck & keep us posted...

Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 AM

4,729 posts, read 9,291,745 times
Sounds like either a seizure or a mini-stroke depending on how old he is. Please, please, make sure your parents take him to the vet to get a full check up. Some viruses can make cats have seizures, like a fever. Sometimes it's epilepsy, and sometimes they happen for no reason and never happen again. The only way to know is to have him checked out. Don't let your parents ignore this, it could be fatal.

My girl had a mini-stroke and then seemed fine. Then she had another one, this one wasn't so mini -- and by the time we could get her to the vet it was too late to help as she'd had a couple more on the drive into town and the damage was too severe. I'd hate for you or your kitty to go through that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats