Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Yup. Sometimes when our male cat is in my lap I will talk to him while he just sits and stares at me like..."You big dummy. Don't you know I can't understand a word that you are saying." It makes me laugh. He does know the word 'no' and his name 'Socks'.
No matter how many times I get up at night he always seems to know when I'm getting up for good, regardless of what time it is. He will come and greet me as I'm getting up on that final time. Everytime.
It's always seemed to me that my cats understood every word I'm saying, but just don't find it very interesting. I think the half-closed eyes look they give me when I'm talking is a sign of boredom with my chatter.
But no matter, I'm going to talk to them anyway... whether they like it or not. They will just have to put up with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:09 PM

440 posts, read 533,467 times
Blah blah blah blah Ginger. Or in our case, blah blah blah blah Tabby.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
I interpret that half closed eyes thing as, "Yes. I accept your speech of worship. I am truly that awesome. I tolerate you as well, mortal. Don't touch my fur."

Was gonna mention that article about the head pressing, I saw something about that a few weeks ago.

But just looking at "nothing" on the wall or ceiling? Normal cat stuff. I think they probably hear things we don't and are responding to that.

Although usually when Nimbus is staring at a random point, and I look to see if there is anything there, and I look back at the cat and he's staring at me....I think we're playing a game of "made ya look!"

Old 01-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I interpret that half closed eyes thing as, "Yes. I accept your speech of worship. I am truly that awesome. I tolerate you as well, mortal. Don't touch my fur."

Was gonna mention that article about the head pressing, I saw something about that a few weeks ago.

But just looking at "nothing" on the wall or ceiling? Normal cat stuff. I think they probably hear things we don't and are responding to that.

Although usually when Nimbus is staring at a random point, and I look to see if there is anything there, and I look back at the cat and he's staring at me....I think we're playing a game of "made ya look!"
Now that I think about it, your theory is totally plausible. It is a better description of my status around here.

And glad to hear I'm not the only one to get suckered in to the Made Ya Look game. I'm still falling for it after all these years.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Now that I think about it, your theory is totally plausible. It is a better description of my status around here.

And glad to hear I'm not the only one to get suckered in to the Made Ya Look game. I'm still falling for it after all these years.
It's just unfortunate that the OP is so old...my response to the simple title of the thread was going to be:

"Your cat is just plain weird.
All cats are just plain weird.
If you keep cats, you, too, may become just plain weird."

Nothing wrong with being weird though.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:03 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,415 times
Our male, Socks, jumps on his sister, Lilbit, and delivers her a thumping. Only once a day to remind her who's the boss. But, when it's raining and thundering outside guess who's sitting on the back of the couch and looking through the window and watching the rain and guess who's under the bed.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:33 AM

112 posts, read 300,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
hahahahaha Very true....

And yes my cat does strange things all the time... I loved reading this thread for reasurance as well that it's not just me. I have one that will once in a while pick a spot of wall and start staring at it and trying to climb it and become so focused on it... I'm convinced there's a ghost involved! My husband thinks it's more likely they hear a sound on the other side I can't hear (a ghost? :P) like a mouse outside or something. Who knows!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1228 View Post
hahahahaha Very true....

And yes my cat does strange things all the time... I loved reading this thread for reasurance as well that it's not just me. I have one that will once in a while pick a spot of wall and start staring at it and trying to climb it and become so focused on it... I'm convinced there's a ghost involved! My husband thinks it's more likely they hear a sound on the other side I can't hear (a ghost? :P) like a mouse outside or something. Who knows!
Or (and here's a scary thought) they're hearing termites slowly devouring the wood in the wall.
This unpleasant possibility has occurred to me more than once. I hope that's not the case, as one of my cats does this all the time.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:41 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,638,707 times
My cat gets very excited and sometimes upset at the reflection of sunlight and shadows on the wall. He usually just sits and stares at the wall. Sometimes he runs back and forth or tries to climb up the wall. I would love to know what he's thinking.

Talking of weird habits, if any of us humans touches the cat, he immediately proceeds to clean the area we touched. I guess we all smell bad or something...

Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLenehan View Post
Hey guys, if your cat is sitting with its head in the corner for extended periods of time it could be a sign that it is very sick. Most often associated with this behaviour is nerve or neurological issues. You shouldn't just assume its a cat quirk. Please check this out and to be safe, take it to the vet to be checked out. Head Pressing in Cats | petMD
Just as likely something they spotted and they will sit there patiently waiting for it to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats