Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
We don't have any shelters with room, and they certainly don't do free spaying. You can't get a discounted spay unless you are dirt poor. I got my momma cat and 2 females spayed due to the generosity of someone on this forum.

The orange one I saw is male. He lives down the street. The brown and white one I'm not sure about. He's pretty big though.

There's also a large siamese I've seen from afar. He wanders around.

I have a metal trap, but I've only use it once. I don't plan to trap the cats that are eating my food. I don't mind to feed them. One has a home, anyway. He just wanted more food I guess.
Call Actors and Others,
( Betty White and Bob Barker) You know the "Come on down Bob" . Ask your Vet if they have their numbers Or call information for Los Angeles, Ca . i used them quite a bit when I was doing the same cat rescue in Southern California. from what I understand they offer help all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
Just noticed a tabby on our porch tonight.

Surrounded by cats...

Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times
Default Another male black cat dropped off.....

We're now feeding another male black cat someone dumped off here 2 weeks ago. I can't afford to vet these strays anymore but can afford to feed them.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM

Got to pet one of the visitors tonight. I couldn't tell if it was male or female, but he/she came to me meowing and I did manage to brush my fingers across her side once. She/he would get within a foot or so of me, but if I stood up he/she would start to run off. She/he definitely is tame, but a little scared. She/he and my momma cat had a hissing match over who would get to eat, but I left enough food for both of them. This cat is a bit bigger than my momma cat, who has put on weight since being spayed.

The strange cat reappeared to eat while momma was. Momma put her ears back and hissed, and the strange cat slowly walked off. Fortunately, I don't see any tendencies for either of them to fight, I think Momma cat (being a feral) is a bit protective of her food. It doesn't look like either of them want to get into a fight, just hissing and warnings.

EDIT: Momma cat and the stranger are eating together now.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-08-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Yes, it's entertaining to watch the way cats interact. I went outside a couple of days ago to feed one of the regulars, and there was another cat on the porch who occasionally comes by who is completely feral from what I can see. I put food out for both and the 'regular' started eating, but the other cat stood there growling and hissing at both myself and the other cat, who didn't seem to care. The latter is considerably bigger and could probably have bested the feral in a fight, but he wasn't interested. Finally, he finished eating, vanished, and the smaller cat tore into the food. (I was watching from inside the house by then.)

He must have been famished to let me get that close to him; I've never been able to before. He's a beautiful little cat, but he is hostile and unapproachable. Perhaps given enough time, he will moderate his defensiveness. After all, it took a long time to gain the trust of the 'regular' (I call him Draco, after the celestial dragon).

Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 AM

Just saw the orange cat from down the street on my back porch. He has a home. He's going to get fat eating at my house and his own. He also has to cross a street to get to my house. His owner's former cat (also a longhaired orange cat) got hit and killed on that street.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,200 times
I know they have signaling devices for food giveaways. At an apartment years ago I fed two or three strays Then one evening I opened my door to put out the goodies and I was shocked to see a circle of strange cats in varying sizes looking up at me and screaming that scream, rubbing against each other, tails up and demanding some dinner--how did they know??

Old 02-13-2010, 02:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
They heard it through the grapevine!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,518 times
I'm still trying to locate that neon sign that must be in my front yard! After neutering one male and adding his to the troops, we have 2 more visitors on the porch. One has been coming around for a couple of years and is neutered. The other one looks similar to the cat my daughter had to put down in July. We don't know if it's male or female. We already have 10 cats! Not looking for more! They find us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats