Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times

Advertisements

Oh wow. I'm sorry to hear about the vet bill.

But I'm glad Lolo is doing better.

Sending all the good vibes your way......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
Just out of curiosity how much did the surgery run you? I sent aside a couple of grand, hope it's not that expensive.

Lookin forward to getting my boy back!
Such a cute (and bad!) boy you have!

My cats surgeries tend to be around $800 -$1400. What makes them more expensive is if we wait and do tests then more tests then the surgery as oppossed to doing one barium xray followed by surgery.

Since this has happened to Lolo, be prepared for a repeat performance. Unfortunately now he has scar tissue in his intestine and it is more likely that foreign objects will get stuck at that point. If he ever exhibits the same symptoms - vomiting, dry heaving, refusing food and water and lethargy - just assume he ate something he shouldn't have and take him for the barium xray. You will save a lot money by going this route.

My cat Nellie (who goes by soley by Princess) loved to play with rubbery polly pockets then chew them and eat them. At first I though it was cute but then I was a new cat owner and had no idea what a polly fiend my cat would turn into. I have cleaned out my house of every Polly accessorie that I could find -- and yet still I will occasionally find one in the middle of the floor. Princess has a stash she's not telling me about.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Default Bored and lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
Update:

Lolo is out of surgery, they found the corner of a towel in his intestine. The towel was removed and the cat is recovering.

Unfortunately he will probably go back to eating foreign objects again, so he'll need to go on Meds. It seems as though he gets seperation anxiety when I leave for work.

I have a small patio that is screened in on the 3rd floor. I am going to put some lattice up to block him from clawing the screen and put some linoleum down to lay on. He loves to be outside, so if I stick him on the porch all day while I am gone he should enjoy it and there is nothing for him to chew.

Vet bill is at $2000 and climbing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May I suggest you get him a companion cat? Maybe a kitten or young spayed female for companionship. Also TOYS. There are cat toys today the cats can play with on and off all day long. And cat furniture he can climb on and off of. Plus leave the radio on low for him as a distraction and for company. Clear a window he can look out. Believe it or not, my cats love Animal Planet. We often leave the TV on AP for them when we're at a campground since our camper is only 20' so they lack a variety of toys and their favorite piece of cat furniture. Make sure he is well nourished and not suffering from any efficiencies he's trying to correct by eating weird things.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
Lolo passed away this morning at the young age of 2 years old. He was truly a wonderful cat and we miss him dearly.

Apparently he was left alone all night and when they came in this morning he fell over and died.

I am at a loss for words

Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM

This just goes to show you that taking the cheaper route is not always the best idea. If we would have had him stay at the original place he would have had 24 hour care. Instead he was left alone all night with a nurse and he died suffering and I never got a chance to say goodbye to him.

He was the most loving cat I have ever owned and he died becuase he had seperation anxiety from being away from me. He would never leave my side and when he laid in my arms he wouls turn his head staring at me and look at me in different directions.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
I am so very sorry for the loss of Lolo. Has the vet given you an explanation?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am so very sorry for the loss of Lolo. Has the vet given you an explanation?
When he left last night we was very comfortable and laying down from the pain meds. No doc is on staff at night, and when the doc came in at 8:30am to check on him he said the cat stood up, and fell down and died. The vet is not sure what happened.

I am angry that they do not have a better trained doctor at night and instead have a nurse.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
My condolences. I'm truly very sorry.

While anger is natural at a time like this, try to let go and move on from it. It's a very draining emotion and won't change anything.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,960 times
I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Oh man. I am so very sorry for your loss. I'm sorry you didn't get to say good bye.
My thoughts are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats