Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

charolastra00
Clay and crystal based litters are absolutely horrific for the environment. I'd never use either and strongly recommend everyone else look into it before buying
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's so horrible about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
For those interested....Worlds Best has a $3 coupon on their website that can be printed and used over and over until the end of the month.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Thanks ShelbyGirl!

I got a free bag of World's Best (up to 8lb). I'd already been using that brand. I will say though that it does not take away my one cat's feces odors. I scoop once or twice a day so there's no buildup. But I like it because it's natural and clumps okay and there's very little dust with that brand.

I mix in a bit of arm & hammer deodorizer to help with odor control. Scooping often and disposing those mounds every day is the thing that works to keep things smelling fresh.

As for food, my cat has recently been rejecting her Evo 95% meat formula (wet food). She totally hated the 95% Salmon & Herring formula I tried, and she's turning her nose up at the chicken & turkey one now too, which she used to like okay. She used to love the Evo Cat & Kitten wet food but even that doesn't appeal anymore. Sigh....is this what a finicky cat is like??? She never was up until about 6 or 8 weeks ago then she got picky. She's now 1 yr old.

As for dry I've been giving her a mixture of grain-free dry foods: Taste of the Wild and Instinct, which she enjoys.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
-LottaMox I've never used it but I heard through the blogging grapevine the formulas for Evo may have changed in past 6 mos due to new ownership. I also use taste of the wild and have had no problems at all.

-Charola I have no idea why anyone would believe clay is horrible for the environment. What are you referencing? I avoid clay because I've been led to believe the dust is bad for their respiratory systems. Both of my cats are prone to URI's so I avoid. One made of pelletized clay disintigrated into silty mud in the box and that doesn't work for any of us. Evidence from them that it didn't work= they were scratching at the overhead hood and sides of the box.

- =^..^=Composting cat poop shouldn't be used in edible gardens. Manure thats beneficial for edible gardens should come from herbivore as rule of thumb best practice. E-coli, salmonella, parasites... not something to risk if it hasn't fully decomposed into sterile form duff (2yrs).

- OP like many who replied I use tidy cat scoop multiple cats even though I started out with one cat/ one box. There's another pail with a lid color other than blue- don't get confused by that because the other is just regular litter. The blue pail has a baby powder scent I can tolerate and the liter lasts longer because the clumps stay tight. Scooping out twice a day is like diaper duty LOL.
When they jacked the price on the econo pail from $10 to $17 it made me %$&^@*$ enough to buy scoop away clumping formula for $4 and dilute what I had left at the time. Works just as well but doesn't last quite as long if you'd rather not completely empty and wash the box so frequently. Price came down I stocked up the same way when scott tp is on sale but I'm thinking I should make a habit of diluting just the same. I haven't seen WBC liter anywhere; an issue for folks such as myself living in less populated areas. Swheat and feline pine are stocked by target but the price, the large container & risk it wouldn't work & I'd be stuck with 30 lbs of useless turned my eye away. Wish they had a trial size (if anyone out there is listening).

- Garden where did you get yours? When I googled the only stainless steel cat box I could find was someone who re-purposed a stainless restaurant chaffing dish. The plastic boxes tend to retain odors no matter the cleaner. I've come to believe if clorox cleanup doesn't work nothing will.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
LOL I use stainless steel (did I say aluminum??) sorry if I did..... buffet food bins. LOL They work like a dream. Here is the link from the company I buy mine. The price is right, too.

Steam Table Pan, full size, 4 deep, anti-jamming - WINCSPJJ-2104 by: (http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/steam-table-pan-full-size-deep-antijamming-p-779018.html - broken link)

Hope this helps! I wouldn't go back to plastic kitty pans if you paid me to!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
I just use tidy cat, save my money for quality canned cat food which I believe is more importent anyway..

Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
LOL I use stainless steel (did I say aluminum??) sorry if I did..... buffet food bins. LOL They work like a dream. Here is the link from the company I buy mine. The price is right, too.

Steam Table Pan, full size, 4 deep, anti-jamming - WINCSPJJ-2104 by: (http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/steam-table-pan-full-size-deep-antijamming-p-779018.html - broken link)

Hope this helps! I wouldn't go back to plastic kitty pans if you paid me to!!!
That's not deep enough for mine. I have a covered litter pan, but he won't use it if the lid is on it. I guess he likes it open to do his business. So we compromise - he gets to use the open pan, and I use the litter pan cover for a table next to my computer to put stuff on.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Thanks ShelbyGirl!

I got a free bag of World's Best (up to 8lb). I'd already been using that brand. I will say though that it does not take away my one cat's feces odors. I scoop once or twice a day so there's no buildup. But I like it because it's natural and clumps okay and there's very little dust with that brand.

I mix in a bit of arm & hammer deodorizer to help with odor control. Scooping often and disposing those mounds every day is the thing that works to keep things smelling fresh.

As for food, my cat has recently been rejecting her Evo 95% meat formula (wet food). She totally hated the 95% Salmon & Herring formula I tried, and she's turning her nose up at the chicken & turkey one now too, which she used to like okay. She used to love the Evo Cat & Kitten wet food but even that doesn't appeal anymore. Sigh....is this what a finicky cat is like??? She never was up until about 6 or 8 weeks ago then she got picky. She's now 1 yr old.

As for dry I've been giving her a mixture of grain-free dry foods: Taste of the Wild and Instinct, which she enjoys.
Your welcome! I actually do like the Worlds Best, after using it for the past week or so. It works really well in the LitterMaids...and more importantly, the cats seem to like it. Just wish it didn't track so much. But I love the not dust, especially since all of my boxes are enclosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats