Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,550,798 times

Advertisements

I am always amazed at how smart cats are...they're smarter than we are when it comes to energy and vibes. Some people believe they have 6th dimensional vision and can actually see the geometrical light patterns around everything, as well as perceive spirits/beings from different dimensions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
Cats are quite intelligent concerning things that THEY care about. Most 'dog people' will never understand that because they judge intelligence in terms of teaching an animal to obey and do tricks, which a cat can't be bothered with. They have their own system of priorities.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Many years ago I had two Siamese cats. They both loved catnip. I kept a supply in a plastic container with a lid way high up on a shelf in my kitchen above the stove. But I would come home from work to find the container open on the floor with the contents spilled and the cats pleasantly stoned. Of course they showed no remorse. The only telltail sign was teeth marks on the container.

I wondered how they were able to get into the stuff. One day I found out. I heard a noise in the kitchen. I sneaked down the hallway where I could see the kitchen but no one in it could see me. And then all was revealed. One cat jumped on top of the stove. the other followed (the smaller, more agile of the two) jumped up on the stove and onto the slippery vent cover over the stove. While balancing precarioulsy on the vent cover, she managed to open the cabinet door just big enough for the other cat to leap up into it. From there he found the container of catnip and pushed it to the floor.

But that's not all, the container was closed. How did they get the catnip out? Well the smaller of the two and I think the brains of the outfit sank her teeth into it like a church key can opener. Holding onto the top of the container with her two front teeth she pried open the lid with the bottom teeth.

I was so astonished I let them keep their heist. They deserved it. And the kicker of the whole thing is that normally the two despised each other. The fact that they were able to work together for a common good gave me hope for the world.
I have heard stories like this about Siamesers...I have a Siamese cross whom I love dearly.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM

4,928 posts, read 10,593,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cats are quite intelligent concerning things that THEY care about. Most 'dog people' will never understand that because they judge intelligence in terms of teaching an animal to obey and do tricks, which a cat can't be bothered with. They have their own system of priorities.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
...My mom's cat, Leo is a Bengal and she can talk to him like a person and he understands what she is saying and reacts accordingly...
One of our herd, Fluffy, is like that. All our cats know their names and respond to a few phrases like “Want to go out?â€, but Fluffy is different.

She can understand what I say, and she can “talk†with certain “words†that she uses for certain situations.

She likes to sleep on my chest when I‘m in bed.
When she jumps up on me and faces her butt in my face, I tell “turn around†and she does.
If she sits there on me, I tell her “lie down†and she does.
When I want to get up, I tell her that and she gets off.

I have tried experiments to see if she really was understanding what I said.
I thought she might be sensing my intent, so I tried thinking about what I wanted her to do, but using using different phrases for those commands.
She didn’t respond.

I thought maybe I was telegraphing by muscle movement, especially with the “I have to get up now Fluff†command, so I made sure I wasn’t moving at all.
She wouldn’t get off until I actually told her to.

Of course none of these are “scientific†tests, but I have lived with her for years and know her pretty well and I believe it to be true.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,336,957 times
If being smart and being evil goes hand in hand... I've this one in the bag.

Only smart kitties would secretly hide upside-down bottlecaps BETWEEN the SHEETS of the bed.. and wait and watch with an evil, errm, "smart' looking grin on their face as you crawl into bed - and promptly scatter to safety when we roll over onto them.

Keep the toys in the toybox, young ladies!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:26 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I am always amazed at how smart cats are...they're smarter than we are when it comes to energy and vibes. Some people believe they have 6th dimensional vision and can actually see the geometrical light patterns around everything, as well as perceive spirits/beings from different dimensions...
There have been occasions when both of my kitties have been staring INTENTLY at something close to the ceiling. Of course, I cannot see anything (defective human that I am), but they are definitely looking AT something invisible to my eyes. I have climed on chairs and examined the space for bugs, cobwebs and other things which could catch their eye - NOTHING THERE. But they both definetly see something there.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,747,236 times
Sometimes cats are too smart for their own good.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
If being smart and being evil goes hand in hand... I've this one in the bag.

Only smart kitties would secretly hide upside-down bottlecaps BETWEEN the SHEETS of the bed.. and wait and watch with an evil, errm, "smart' looking grin on their face as you crawl into bed - and promptly scatter to safety when we roll over onto them.

Keep the toys in the toybox, young ladies!
That is priceless!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,626,592 times
Agree with Minervah. ROFL LOL LOL LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats