Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:04 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,774 times

Advertisements

Please tell me how to keep my cats from scratching the carpet beside having their nails declawed..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
I clip my cats' claws. Although I've never tried them, I have several friends who swear by "soft-paws" (I believe that's what they are called) - they are soft caps you can put on their claws.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
Get them some scratching posts and pads. My cats love these:

Squirt them with a water bottle when they scratch in inappropriate places.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Please don't declaw if there is any alternative. The cats use their claws for stuff we never even think of and they need that last joint of their paws that is also removed. I naively declawed my first cat and have been making amends for a very long time. I still do not forgive myself.

Even if you cannot lure him away with other clawing choices, a cat will attack a couple of spots in the house, like a stair tread or two or a spot in the bedroom. Wall to wall carpet can be pieced in without any visible sign for very low cost. Keep the excess when you carpet. So what if every few years I spend a couple of hundred dollars on carpet. Worth every penny.

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-13-2010 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Syntax

Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
I'm with Wilson1010 all the way. I implore you NOT to declaw your cat. Like W., out of my ignorance, I declawed my first cat which was in 1984, and believe me, I still have not forgiven myself, either. Look on the internet about the facts on declawing.

I have come to this conclusion regarding my home. What is more important!..... Ruined furniture, or not being able to put up curtains, or a wooden floor that needs to be resanded and refinished OR my love for my precious animals?? When I leave this earth, I take only what I came in with and more....and that is LOVE. That is the ONLY thing I can take with me to go on to the next world. Things are worht nothing in the Bigger Picture. So, I ask you, what is more important to you? Keeping your cat's nails intact and putting up with the "inconveniences" that they are bound to create, or chop off your cat's nails up to the first joint?

Training comes in handy. A water bottle does wonders....spray water when you see your cat doing something you don't like, avoiding the face. Voice commands, time outs, and taking time out to play. Get at least one scratching post, and maybe even a cat tower. They love to climb, they love to scratch. So, accomodate your little one.....he is deserving to live the best possible life you can give him.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
I believe pet (not just cats) ownership comes with the expectation of some personal belongings getting ruined or becoming less than perfect. I will take the love and companionship of my cats over having perfect household furnishings any day.

Shoot, the same goes for husband and child ownership. They can all be a messy handful but we love them anyway.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:35 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,962 times
I have no problems with declawing (my mom has two perfectly happy healthy declawed cats) but our own cat has three extra toes on each front foot and after much thought I don't think declawing would be right for him. We have decided to try Soft Claws. Unfortunatly, we got them in the mail today and the orders were mixed up- we got the wrong size. So, we haven't been able to try them yet, but they do look like they will work perfectly. They come in lots of different colors and four different sizes (kitten, S, M, L). They even make them for dogs!

Garden, I really do understand what you're saying about pets before objects. And I agree. So what if the sofa gets clawed? BUT if someone is renting a home, allowing a cat/dog to tear up the floors & other parts of the house can land you an eviction, a lawsuit for damages, and then you will have a next to impossible time finding a new place that will alow you to have your pets. Not to mention, that LL will probably never allow pets in his rental again.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I clip my cats' claws. Although I've never tried them, I have several friends who swear by "soft-paws" (I believe that's what they are called) - they are soft caps you can put on their claws.
I've heard good things about Soft Paws Nail Caps. Check out their website. They even have an instructional video on the website. But please don't declaw! Geez, that's awful.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
A lot of catnip on acceptable surfaces, like scratching posts and citrus spray on unacceptable surfaces like carpet!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,907 times
I keep her claws clipped and maybe try using clear tape on the carpet if the cat has certain areas that it is picking on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats