Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2024, 06:34 PM

9,444 posts, read 11,198,241 times

Advertisements

Things have been rolling merrily along for some years now with our outsider cats, following two tragic deaths in the year 2020 which was a bad year.

A few days ago a pretty sleek long low black cat showed up in our yard. VERY shy, won't come near me.

Weird part is that ALL our outsiders seem spooked or even intimidated. That includes the alpha male Panther who comes in well into the teens weight-wise, as well as the second biggest Taurus. White Dot, our third male, seems utterly intimidated. He has missed some meals, he shy away from me. Ditto Pots, The Founder of this troop when she showed up in 2017. White Dot is typically pretty aggressive.

At first I was curious, but now I chase him off whenever I see him. It's pretty unusual for Panther especially to be intimidated or at least standoffish.

Don't know what to make of all this, I just know I don't like our cats to be ill at ease which they are when black cat is around.

I know size usually matters, but not always. When I was a kid we had a smaller female stray, Sputnik, who was extremely formidable. She feared no cat and invariably dominated.

I just saw this new cat heading out our back yard, through the neighbor's yard and toward the next street over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 05:08 PM

No interest in this apparently.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:17 AM

24,650 posts, read 10,980,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
No interest in this apparently.
No interest in reading about cats being chased away.

Old 04-18-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
No interest in reading about cats being chased away.
This invader is apparently having VERY negative effects on the five resident cats. Only two showed up for dinner tonight. One of the other males looks awful, tail between his legs dragging around not hanging out with his Best Bud Taurus. Not eating. Not coming to meals. White Dot is a sweet sociable cat, normally. Even Panther, the alfa of the group, is on edge. Pots didn't eat several meals lately.

Something is way way off, and it all changed when this cat showed up. I am taking care of our little troop to the best of my ability. And chasing this intruder off is part of that. Some people would just shoot him. I just want him GONE.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:31 PM

6,162 posts, read 4,540,639 times
Maybe you should trap him and take him to a shelter. He could be some kind of sick that the cats can sense.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Maybe you should trap him and take him to a shelter. He could be some kind of sick that the cats can sense.
I'm thinking about that.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:39 AM

352 posts, read 286,740 times
Some cats have that kind of vibe, especially if the cat is not neutered. A shelter would probably kill him so you would be sentencing the cat to death.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Some cats have that kind of vibe, especially if the cat is not neutered. A shelter would probably kill him so you would be sentencing the cat to death.
We have no-kill shelters around here. First does he have a chip? Second, what's his behavior like at the shelter. It's a sleek beautiful cat, but everything went to hell when he showed up. Probably a she, judging by head size but you never know.

In other news, I spent some quality time with White Dot yesterday, patting and scrunching and hugging him. I gave him some guy and he ate a little and drank the evaporated milk.

This morning he'd moved to one of the insulated w/heating pad sleeper units, I put some food and milk and broth outside his door and it's all gone now. If he's eating that's a plus.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:18 PM

85 posts, read 21,339 times
no shelter- they will kill. give it time.. it is looking for a home- your crew are just scared because of a new cat. that is normal for cats the act that way when a new cat comes in their territory.

I have taken in strays for the past 29 years I know the pattern.

You can leave a little food out by the gate if you want..

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoCountryLady View Post
no shelter- they will kill. give it time.. it is looking for a home- your crew are just scared because of a new cat. that is normal for cats the act that way when a new cat comes in their territory.

I have taken in strays for the past 29 years I know the pattern.

You can leave a little food out by the gate if you want..
Another thread here on White Dot's death. I have suspicions that black cat is The Angel of Death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats