Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,696 times

Advertisements

Making a new thread since the circumstances are a bit different than the threads of the past (and why revive old threads?)

Originally, I had one cat (ragdoll). When she was about 6 months old, I purchased the CatGenie. She took to it after about a week. She had no accidents for months.

Moved to a new house, she started having accidents next to the CatGenie/litter box. At first, it was once month. I'd clean the area with some harsh chemicals hoping that her "smell" would not linger in that area. I figured that if a cat goes in an area once, they will go again if they can still smell it. Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, over the course of time, accidents became more infrequent.

I introduced my new cat to the household. They seem to get along fine now. The new cat took to the CatGenie after about a week. Some days, the "old cat" will use the CatGenie just fine. Other days, she will decide it is better to relieve herself next to it. She never goes in any other room (thankfully).

For a while I thought that the "old cat" would not use the litter box after the "new cat" used it since maybe she felt it was "too filthy." Last night, I caught a glimpse of the old cat going into the clean litter box... then hopping out and squatting right next to it instead.

For five straight days now, she has gone outside of the litterbox. I've tried doing what I originally did to get her to use it: Pick her up, put her in the CatGenie, have her paw the granules, give reassuring phrases, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,437,191 times
Same advice as the old threads....medical check first for a UTI. Wish I had a nickel for every person who had litterbox problems...especially going right outside the box...and insisted it was not medical. So much time and frustration could be avoided! Also...harsh cleaners are not always the ans. It must be an enzyme cleaner in order to completely rid of the urine smell. You may not smell it, but they can!
Secondly...I'd put a normal litterbox or whatever it was she was use to...out...right next to the Genie and see what happens. I have heard lots of cat owners who purchased the Genie and their cats are now revolting against it. If you check around....lots of them for resale!
It could be one problem or it could be a mixture.

I have 3 Raggies. One female in particular is prone to UTI's. Probably once a yr or so, she gets one. My first clue is she'll urinate/poo or both, right next to the box. Off to the vet we go..round of antibotics and we're good until the next time.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,444,128 times
I'd take her to vet asap, as Shelby said... and put up another litter box.

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,791,637 times
Since this isn't a new cat and previously trained, seems it could only be one of two things. Either medical reasons as katzen suggested, or stress from changes. Cats dislike abrupt changes, it makes them anxious.

If this isn't medical, I believe the mechanical aspects of this cat genie are the problem. Before going to the expense of a vet, try offering a regular litter box arrangement option. Even a foil lasanga pan filled with litter-- see if it gets used properly. I suspect your cat is stressed out from the new arrangement. Perhaps the granules are getting caught in the web of his toes? Check his paws, see if they're irritated. Remember that his method of cleaning himself is by mouth, and if these granules leave chemical residue on his paws, he may have become averse to it by taste while attempting to groom himself. Just an idea.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,330,224 times
I agree with what everyone's said so far. I'd try getting ride of the Cat Genie and if the cat's still not using the cat pan after that...off to the vet!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,806 times
Some cats don't like to share. You might try adding an additional litter box and see if that helps. Of course, there's nothing to stop the other cat from using it, too, but you can try. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats