Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I have to add...we also have a number of exotic cars that are shown and enjoyed. While, we would never ever shoot or harm a animal...if a neighbors cat came over and somehow scratched one of them...you can be sure, pics would be taken and that neighbor would be liable for the damage done. No different than a kid coming over and doing the same.
I am not sure the car were scratched. But, they do walk on the cars leaving prints.

I just don't understand why people don't keep their cats (and kids) home.

The guy did ask nicely for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am not sure the car were scratched. But, they do walk on the cars leaving prints.

I just don't understand why people don't keep their cats (and kids) home.

The guy did ask nicely for a long time.
You seem a bit overwrought on someone else's behalf. Kids and pets are a fact of life and reponsible parents and pet owners are appreciated. But shoot a neighbor's pet over pawprints? Yes--I know it involves money, time, and sweat and I would be annoyed and even angry. But I would certainly find shooting the cats a stretch. A note from an attorney or a visit by animal control might help. Cat repellants, auto covers, or a water squirt also are a possibility. It is effort on your friend's part but I would prefer that to shooting a cat dead in my driveway. How ghoulish!

And many community leash laws acknowledge the difference in the nature of cats and dogs and allow cats to roam. Certainly if they cause a problem for neighbors that should be addressed and hopefuly resolved. An ordinance against roaming cats?? It seems that would be something individual communities need to consider.

I guess it is personal philosphy. I hate plastic kids' toys scattered all over my neighbor's lawn and the tire swing in the front of the house--but I am not going to make a fuss or shoot the kid--though I wish they would move. Living in a community does involve some annoyances at times. Though local ordinances are where I draw the line. Then they can be reported--loose dogs, BB guns killing birds, and firecrackers going off at midnight--I have reported all of these. And if the local ordinance forbids roaming cats--report them. Otherwise accept it as a part of life and use the more humane techniques.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
You seem a bit overwrought on someone else's behalf. Kids and pets are a fact of life and reponsible parents and pet owners are appreciated. But shoot a neighbor's pet over pawprints? Yes--I know it involves money, time, and sweat and I would be annoyed and even angry. But I would certainly find shooting the cats a stretch. A note from an attorney or a visit by animal control might help. Cat repellants, auto covers, or a water squirt also are a possibility. It is effort on your friend's part but I would prefer that to shooting a cat dead in my driveway. How ghoulish!

And many community leash laws acknowledge the difference in the nature of cats and dogs and allow cats to roam. Certainly if they cause a problem for neighbors that should be addressed and hopefuly resolved. An ordinance against roaming cats?? It seems that would be something individual communities need to consider.

I guess it is personal philosphy. I hate plastic kids' toys scattered all over my neighbor's lawn and the tire swing in the front of the house--but I am not going to make a fuss or shoot the kid--though I wish they would move. Living in a community does involve some annoyances at times. Though local ordinances are where I draw the line. Then they can be reported--loose dogs, BB guns killing birds, and firecrackers going off at midnight--I have reported all of these. And if the local ordinance forbids roaming cats--report them. Otherwise accept it as a part of life and use the more humane techniques.
Aminal control was called, nothing they could do. They did say to trap the cats and they would pick them up as strays.

I have two dogs, my dogs never leave the yard.

How can you compare what is in your neighbors yard, to having a neighbour's animals coming in the yard of someone else.

IMO, people should keep their animals in their own yard.

BTW, the first year and three or four cats, I was on the side of the cat owner.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:22 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,672,910 times
My indoor kitty, Wolfe, lived to be 20 years old. My friend's indoor/outdoor kitty disappeared at one year of age. She thinks he was carried off by a hawk or fox. Just saying.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,137,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
It sounds almost like you are saying anyone who thinks otherwise does not belong on these threads. Of course there are also those who believe capturing a stray cat and forcing them to stay inside is a cruel thing to do. I think you can be a good pet owner in either case, just take precautions which is why I first came here asking advice on making sure my kitty came back to us. In the future, I will seek different avenues for advice.
First, I think Wilson already clarified my post. Thank you Wilson, I tried to rep you (the Cincy foks would be rolling over right now)....

Secondly msm, Let me know when you want me to take a picture & post it of the neighbors indoor/outdoor cat that recently had his eyeball completely removed because of an outdoor fight. That might help you make a decision about an outdoor life for your beloved fur baby.

And, just for the record & clarification, the 3 cats I currently have in my home, were all strays, two as young kittens and one as a young adult. I dont care if they want to walk around crying all day, I'm the smart one in this house who knows the dangers on the other side of that door and until they bring home a pay check to pay for medical bills to fix the wounds from battles, autos or other dangers....they get to live savely inside in a loving, warm house with plenty of food and treats.

You want people here to provide you with "teaching her to not bolt verses lectures from others on keeping her inside. Real advice on training a cat would be lovely." Lesson one: Cats do what they want, when they want. My cats dont try to go outside because its NOT an option for them--that is the best way to solve the problem, take away the opportunity.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:17 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
that is the best way to solve the problem, take away the opportunity.
Which is how exactly? Honestly, do I ban my kids from ever having friends over until they pass the door test? Do I keep her locked up in an inside room all day? Do I set up a system of doors like leaving a butterfly room to make sure the dogs don't have a hidden passenger?

You seem to mean well, but unless you plan to give real training advice instead of just more lectures, I am really not interested. And, I am really not interested in seeing pictures of tortured animals - that is just sick no matter what the intentions are.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,137,009 times
My advice to you is if YOU dont want numerous posts from all the people who have been on these forums for a few years, more specifically ME, take your question to your vet. Or, ask some pre-approved friends on a Facebook page. But dont get upset with me when I respond to an OPEN POST just because it's not what you want to hear.
And the cat that was injured was not my doing, it's REALITY when cats are able to go out and possibly get injured. He is a sweet cat and young and it upsets me that he was hurt like that and its hurts me even more that he is still allowed outside.

Cat's are not dogs. They like to do what they want, when they want. That's all I got.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
My advice to you is if YOU dont want numerous posts from all the people who have been on these forums for a few years, more specifically ME, take your question to your vet. Or, ask some pre-approved friends on a Facebook page. But dont get upset with me when I respond to an OPEN POST just because it's not what you want to hear.
And the cat that was injured was not my doing, it's REALITY when cats are able to go out and possibly get injured. He is a sweet cat and young and it upsets me that he was hurt like that and its hurts me even more that he is still allowed outside.

Cat's are not dogs. They like to do what they want, when they want. That's all I got.
So your answer then is that no, you don't know of a way to train a cat not to run out a door. I am not upset with you at all, I just want to clarify that you cannot actually answer what I asked and instead chose to lecture.

I have no problem with your opinions, and actually agree if you had read my other posts. But, I am a realist. The reality is with my household there is no 100% way to guarentee that the kitty will not get out.

And, if that happens I was hoping for real advice. It is no different from someone asking for advice about 100's of topics from pets to child raising to marriages. There are things we hope don't happen but that does not mean we should ignore the possibility or be unprepared.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
MSM-teacher: Easiest way is to make it unpleasant for him to start near the door. A can of pennies that make a racket when shook...a water bottle spritz..anything to make him not want to venture near the door. It doesn't take long and they soon realize, it is no fun. I taught mine with a simple NO each time they can near the door when it was open. They were all kittens tho and it was right from the start. Not a one of the 6 ever even tries. I never had to resort to the pennies.
Another idea is all the "scat mats"...electronic and pimpled mats...you could give those a try.
Here is a link, with some other ideas:

How to Keep a Cat From Running Out the Door | eHow.com

Old 02-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
MSM-teacher: Easiest way is to make it unpleasant for him to start near the door. A can of pennies that make a racket when shook...a water bottle spritz..anything to make him not want to venture near the door. It doesn't take long and they soon realize, it is no fun. I taught mine with a simple NO each time they can near the door when it was open. They were all kittens tho and it was right from the start. Not a one of the 6 ever even tries. I never had to resort to the pennies.
Another idea is all the "scat mats"...electronic and pimpled mats...you could give those a try.
Here is a link, with some other ideas:

How to Keep a Cat From Running Out the Door | eHow.com
Now that's helpful advice! Thank you very much!!!

We already tried the water bottle for keeping her off the kitchen counters, but this silly kitty just tried to catch the water in her mouth.

Odds are, though, that something you listed will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats