Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 12:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

First somebody- either one of two cats or a dog- peed in our expensive chair. I had it cleaned and a few week later the same thing happened again in the same chair. We cleaned it again but of course odor is still there.

this is happening at night but I'm pretty sure my little dog stays right by the bed all night. I took the cats to the vet and only one 's urine could be tested as the other one's bladder was empty.

We have been putting baskets, etc in the two matching chairs at night but last night somebody peed on the sofa. We are at our wits end.

NOTHING different has happened. no construction, no change in food, litter. nothing.

We love our pets but we cannot continue to live in urine soaked environment.

I was wondering if there is some kind of cat whispere around who can help us.

If not we will have to get rid of two very beautiful ragdoll Cats and a Bichon.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 02:36 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
Can you close off the room with the chairs? We had to do that with our living room since Mia liked peeing and pooping on our leather couch. After awhile, she got out of the habit and we no longer have to keep the doors closed, although she did take her act to the bathroom floor. Our problem has recently been resolved with a change of litter. I wasn't even aware of it (duh!) but I did change litter brands from Fresh Step blue crystal litter to World's Best around the time Louie (the dog) got big enough to start snorfling in the litter boxes for "treats". I figured the World's Best was more "natural". Purely by accident, I switched back to Fresh Step a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a problem since. Right now, we have a fragile balance and I'm not cleaning up pee and/or poop off the floor for the first time in over 4 years. *keeping fingers crossed*

Now, for your problem. You need to figure out which of the cats is doing it. That was my dilemma, since we also have 2 cats. Eventually, you will catch one of them in the act. Check out their behavior and body language - it's pretty easy to tell when a cat has just relieved itself (grooming behavior) and you might notice that one of the cats uses the litter box more than the other. I got supercrazy over this issue so I was hyper-attuned to it. You might also find if you watch carefully that one of your cats is behaving in a stealthy manner, kind of hanging around waiting for you to leave to s/he can do her/his dirty work.

Maybe you could isolate each of the cats by turn in a spare bedroom or bathroom for a day or two, with food, water and litterbox, and see what happens. Another suggestion I've heard (but never tried) is sticky tape on the chair/couch, or aluminum foil.

Good luck. I know this is an extremely frustrating problem!

Just want to add that with Mia, I believe it was a plethora of issues (none physical, we had her checked out by the vet several times), which is why it lasted 4 years. First it was getting used to a new house (she pooped on the couch the first night we had her). Then we got Raoul and it was territorial issues. That lasted a good long while. I'm sure that when we got Louie in late 2008, that was an issue as well. Now, everyone is more or less settled in and I'm hoping that the litter change does the trick.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
I do not know if I can be of any help to you, yet I have a few meandering thoughts. Let's see. You say nothing different has happened. Has there been a change of any kind in YOUR life or your family's life?

Could it be possible that the cats (and I suspect it is the cats, or one of them doing this) are not happy with their diet and are wanting something different?

Usually when this sort of thing happens out of the blue, it signifies a bladder problem or some sort of illness in an animal. This is his or her way of getting your attention. I know you said you took your cats to the vet, but yet....Are they acting out of the norm besides the voiding issue? Does their fur look as it always does? Do they smell the way they always do? Are their eyes clear and bright? Has any kind of fighting amongst the cats and/or the family occurred?

And I really do not like telling you this, but unless you get the odor entirely out of your furniture, the cats will go back and void on it again. The ONLY way I know of is to shampoo it and with an animal specific shampoo to get the odor out entirely.

I am pulling at straws here, for I am just not able to "pick up" on your cats' thoughts. Something is definitely out of sync in their world, though. YOU may not think anything out of the norm has happened, but they certainly do. Cats just don't decide one day to pee on furniture because they have nothing better to do. It usually indicates one of three things, territory, illness or psychological distress. I really wish I could be of better help to you. Maybe some of my questions will illuminate the problem for you.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 PM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
First, in order for your situation to improve, your cats need to admit that they have a problem...

But seriously, there are a number of products at pet stores to keep cats off of furniture. I also think that the above ^^ suggestions are very wise: your cats may dislike their litter, so I would try changing and see what happens. And, if possible, cordon off the room so that they *can't* pee on the furniture. Also, are both cats fixed? If not, that could also be causing the problem.

It actually sounds as if one of the cats is marking, which could mean that it has issues with the other cat or is trying to mark the house as his/hers (that's if everything checked out at the vet's and there is no possibility of a urinary tract infection, etc.; I get the feeling that chair is not just chosen at random):

http://www.petplace.com/cats/feline-...ing/page1.aspx

Old 04-04-2010, 06:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
This product may be helpful: http://westwoodanimalhospital.com/Pr...nformation.htm

Evaluation of FELIWAY

Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Your going to have to identify the culprit. Med check first and only AFTER he/she has been medically cleared....then start to re-train. Which will mean confining to a smaller space with the litterbox. (assuming it is a feline culprit). Slowly opening the space the animal is confined in. IE...utility room to a few rooms to the entire house.
Without knowing who is urinating, your hands are tied. Try separating each of them at night when it is happening. If it is not medical, I would say, one is unhappy about something going on in the household. Change, noise outdoors, could go as far as furniture moved. Time to play detective!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I googled peeing on furniture and there are lots of folks with cats doing this. I put strips of tin foil on the sofa and two chairs, actually any upholstered furniture last night and this morning I saw where somebody had tried to walk on the foil. I bet it really surprised them. I also tied up the dog to my bedside table. Nothing happened last night but I still have cushions and covers outside to air out.

did try spray them with solution of warm water and white vinegar.

I will keep doing that and see what happens. DH is about ready to insist on getting rid of them. Who would want 2 8 year old cats with a pee problem? I'm willing to work with them for awhile. We all really do love them but eventually DH will put his foot down if this continues.

I've just now switched to wet food as vet said their urine was concentrated and wet food would help but Oscar is still barfing up hair balls.

This is so stressful to us all. Thanks for the suggestions.

The only thing I can think of is that two weeks ago DH announced he had been laid off and had 2 weeks notice. We were in shock and I began to panic a bit as we still have young children at home. One week later it was announced that a long awaited contract finally came thru and he would have his job at least for another year. Still to realize how vulnerable we all are in this crazy time is scarey. Maybe the cats picked up on my fears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats