Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 PM

30 posts, read 152,928 times

Advertisements

My cat came home saturday night injured we took him to the emergency vet and they told us that he may have a fractured pelvis and foot. They said that there was nothing that they could do without alot of money and I am broke. So I brought him home and am trying to take care of him as best as I can. He has only gone pee once since saturday and has not gone poop at all. I was told that if he won't poop I am going to have to put him down. He won't eat because he won't poop so I am feeding and watering him with an eye dropper. Other than that and the fact that he doesn't want to walk he seems ok. He kinda army crawls to get around and is alert. Is there anyone out there that can help me please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I'm so very sorry this has happened. How much is he in and can he walk?

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 05-04-2010 at 05:44 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
You are between a hard place and a hard rock. My heart goes out to you. Yet, I will not mislead you into thinking illogically so here goes with my advice.

Your cat, by your description, is extremely hurt. I doubt that even medical attention can help him. IF there is nerve damage involved, your cat will not be able to have a bowel movement, and a cat cannot live without having a bowel movement.

Your cat is in massive pain right now, and in my opinion, the most loving act you can do for him, is to put him to sleep. I am so sorry, but I truly doubt he will heal. Don't let him suffer, please. I understand and know how very very difficult it is to go through with euthanasia, and if you knew me better, you would know this advice does not come easy for me to give you.

IF you are knowledgeable enough and have enough time and patience, you may be able to help your cat mend. That means 24/7 attention and 24/7 healing modalities. And this also means he needs STRONG pain medication 24/7 also.

As with any of my advice, I ask you to not take my advice, but pray about it or meditate upon it, and if it FEELS right to you, then take my advice. You are in a heart rendering place, but please do the highest best for your cat.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Default garden of eden

I want to thank you for your time and your honesty. I would rather have someone be honest and up front with me than sugar coat the issue or give me false hope. I have been with him 24/7 since saturday night and he has not only not gone poop yet but now he won't pee. My boyfriend took him outside last night to see if he would go potty out there and he tried but it caused him too much pain. I have an appointment on thursday to take him in and have him put to sleep if he doesn't poop or pee by then. The vet told me to stop giving him pain medication to see if that was what was stopping him up because as long as he doesn't try to walk he doesn't seem to be in pain. However there has been no change so I am thinking of just making him as comfortable as possable until thursday. I think what hurts the most is how normal he looks when he's asleep. Thank you once again for your advice it is very much appriceated.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
your post hits me very close to home. My tiny dog Reggie was hit by a hit and run driver over Easter weekend, and had pretty much the same injury. Busted pelvis and inability to void. He couldnt stand and when we tried to help him stand, it was obvious it was excruciating for him. As much as it tore out my heart, I made the decision to have him put to sleep. What the vet told me, was with his pelvis busted, they MIGHT be able to fix it enough for him to MAYBE walk again w/o TOO much pain. And we'd most likely have to help him void for the rest of his life. I just couldnt do that. It sounds like you love your kitty too much as well. Take her in as soon as you can, (I totally get you on the no $$ thing, I had to drain my 15yr old daughters bank account to pay for our vet bill) just do what you can, as soon as you can. My heart goes out to you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your kitty. HUGS

Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM

OH, prettyprincess, I implore you, please do NOT wait until Thursday! Can you imagine the pain of not being able to void and having a full bladder??? Take your kitty in today, don't postpone it. And before you take him in, give him a double dose of pain medication to avoid the stress of going to the vet. IF you don't feel comfortable giving him a double dose, don't. My own vet has recommended this exact advice to me when it came to the end with one of my cats. And all the way there (if someone else is driving) and when you get to the vets, hold him in your arms, close to your heartbeat, sing to him, wrap him in his favorite blankie bring his favorite toy with you, and tell him you love him forever!

This is so difficult for me to write, and I have tears in my eyes as I write. Put yourself in his paws. If you were suffering as much as he is, would you want to delay eternal bliss??? Please, do the right thing for your baby! He will be eternally grateful. Take him in to the vet TODAY.

(((HUGS))) and (((HUGS))) again! Tears......do the right thing......please.....

Old 05-04-2010, 01:37 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I am so surprised the vet allowed you to bring him home.
My first post early this morning, was all about the quality of life and doing what is right for an animal. I thought about it, and then deleted it, thinking I had mis-read. His pelvis is fractured, not broken?
My belief is, we owe to our pets the best quality of life we can give to them. Lying in pain, unable to walk or eleminate is no life. It is time to put aside your feelings of losing him, and do what is right for him. I always felt we owed them at least that. He will be forever grateful the life you have given him...now let him die with dignity and be free of the pain.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,800 times
I had a cat with a broken pelvis. He made a full recovery once he had proper medical care. I am also surprised that they let him go home. Have you looked into Care Credit? I don't know that much about it, but I have heard it can help people with vet bills when they don't have the money. In any case, do what is right for your cat.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I am so surprised the vet allowed you to bring him home.
Right there with you, Shelby.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 PM

we walked around with him out side for a while this morning and my bf tried to help hold him up while he tried to squat but as soon as he put any kind of weight on his hind end he just gave up, so i think hes wanting to try to go but hes just in so much pain. as far as pain killers we talked to a friend of a friend who is a vet tech and acquired some liquid morphine sulfate so he can be pain free in his last few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats