U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM

3,726 posts, read 5,773,569 times

Advertisements

For quite some time have had an ongoing go around with Petco about their tax policies. Store managers and the customer service phone reps have given what I feel are vague answers and doubletalk. Petco taxes the full retail shelf price of purchased items, not the final discounted price. Example, say I make purchases that total $100 before any discounts are applied. I use my Petco card and a percent off coupon and my bill is $70. The sales tax in my city is a very high 8.75%. In this case, Petco would charge me $8.75 sales tax, applying the tax to the shelf price of the items, rather than taxing the final $70 total. To make Petco look even worse, their major competitor Petsmart, does not engage in this tax practice, they tax the final discounted price after using the card and any other discounts. In front of me as I type these words are recent receipts from both stores, both for the same brand of canned cat food. Is Petco pulling a long time scam? They told me that it was California law, but yet if it is, what about Petsmart? Any California pet owners that have noticed this practice? Does Petco do this in other states? Comments? Opinions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 PM

10,135 posts, read 25,567,591 times
Here's your answer:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/reg1671-1.pdf (broken link)

Clue, see section d 1&2

Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 PM

14,774 posts, read 29,601,071 times
PetsMart is less than Petco on most of their items. I only go to Petco to buy Wellness cat food with coupons, because PetsMart doesn't carry it.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,997,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
PetsMart is less than Petco on most of their items. I only go to Petco to buy Wellness cat food with coupons, because PetsMart doesn't carry it.
Same for me with as far as Petco & Wellness. They do offer coupons if you have a club card plus also offer % off for Wellness & other organic brands. Plus after you spend an amount they give a discount.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 PM

14,774 posts, read 29,601,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Same for me with as far as Petco & Wellness. They do offer coupons if you have a club card plus also offer % off for Wellness & other organic brands. Plus after you spend an amount they give a discount.
And that's the ONLY reason that I go to Petco (Unleashed). If it wasn't for the $1.00 off on a can of Wellness, I wouldn't go there at all. Blue Buffalo dry cat food is $3.00 per bag at Petco than PetsMart. I also go to PetPeople which is like the new Petco Unleashed store. There I buy Merrick, which also isn't carried at PetsMart, and I don't know if they have it at Petco, I never look for it, but they may have it too.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,078,479 times
To get back to the original question, based on the guidance wilson1010 shared, it looks like Petco is probably calculating the tax correctly while PetSmart may not be. Or the discounts may be slightly different and thus warrant separate tax treatment. Either way it isn't really fair to say it is their tax policy. Tax policy is set by the government. Sometimes (make that often) tax regulations are less than clear and they may be interpreting the law differently. But Petco would not be getting more income due to the way they calculate it - it goes to the government.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 PM

3,726 posts, read 5,773,569 times
Thanks to Wilson for the link, this will take some more detailed study. Still have to wonder who is right, Petco or Petsmart. This would involve millions of dollars in over or under charges if one of the giants is wrong. Earlier remarks indicate that Petsmart has lower prices than Petco as a rule. In my case, for my cats canned food, this has not been the case, so have mostly had to patronize Petco. This month though, we got a break; her food is on sale at Petsmart at the lowest price I have seen it in quite some time, and it will remain on sale until mid June. Time to stock up with several cases, enough to last the rest of the year, and store it in a cool, dry place.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:49 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,428,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
For quite some time have had an ongoing go around with Petco about their tax policies. Store managers and the customer service phone reps have given what I feel are vague answers and doubletalk. Petco taxes the full retail shelf price of purchased items, not the final discounted price. Example, say I make purchases that total $100 before any discounts are applied. I use my Petco card and a percent off coupon and my bill is $70. The sales tax in my city is a very high 8.75%. In this case, Petco would charge me $8.75 sales tax, applying the tax to the shelf price of the items, rather than taxing the final $70 total. To make Petco look even worse, their major competitor Petsmart, does not engage in this tax practice, they tax the final discounted price after using the card and any other discounts. In front of me as I type these words are recent receipts from both stores, both for the same brand of canned cat food. Is Petco pulling a long time scam? They told me that it was California law, but yet if it is, what about Petsmart? Any California pet owners that have noticed this practice? Does Petco do this in other states? Comments? Opinions?
Although I am in North Carolina I find this very interesting. I don't have any of my receipts any more but I am going to check it out the next time we go.

Thanks for posting this.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:25 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,160,192 times
At least your sales tax is "only" 8.75%. Here in L.A. County it's 9.75!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats