Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My female cat, Chloe who is right at about 6 months and has been in heat a few times with presence of a male cat seems to be ill.

I noticed a couple of days ago she was just not her usual playful self.... She was walking around here and there, not lethargic but with a small lack of appetite. The next day she just laid around a bit and I was starting to get a little concerned. Then yesterday morning back to just not quite back to herself again but not doing anything that really was concerning me.

It was last night when I was getting a bit afraid. 3am or so. Chloe was just really lethargic and would just lay there with her eyes open. I know I sound like a terrible pet owner and someone who needs to take the cat in. I called them this morning first thing but I do not have the cash for it right this moment.

Back to kitty. Very lethargic and just laying there on my bed. She would move a couple inches at the most until finally she got off the bed going into the kitchen. She lay by the water bowl all night. I gave her some unflavored Pedialyte a couple of times.

Now this morning she seems to be getting better. Not so lethargic but still not herself. I noticed some blood. A small little bit. I wet a paper towel and put it on the vaginal area, this is where it came from.

What is going on with my Chloe? My other female cats were spayed right away and before that I suppose I was under the age of ten or so with female cats who were mainly outside cats and I did not see all of their goings on.

This is sort of feeling like a reproductive thing to me. Does anyone have any idea or has your cat been through this?

Thanks in advance and I suppose if you want to yell at me and call me a bad pet owner you can...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
I won't yell at you! How about her litter box habits? Are they the same or is she using the litter box more or less? The blood could be from a UTI. I really have no idea if the blood could be from her being in heat.

I understand money issues but I would call the vet and see if you could do a payment plan. I wish I had more to offer you. I don't like that she spent so much time just hanging around the water dish.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,536 times
If your cat was in heat you would KNOW it. They are very vocal and active. Your kitty sounds sick and should be looked at by a vet. Have you tried to take her temp?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Please try and find a vet that will let you make payments. It might not turn out to be very expensive, just an exam and anti-biotics. If she is not treated she might get a lot worse.

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Chloes litterbox habits have not changed much. I do not think she has done much more than urinate for the past couple of days.

She was in heat. Meowing a little but not like her normal meow. Stooping the front end of her body downward with the tail end upward... the quivering bit...

I just got back from the dr for myself and Chloe is looking a little better, not as lethargic as before. She is back to giving me her 'love eyes' when I talk to her. She sleeps in my closet, don't know why, but I made her a little bed in there so she is comfortable.

I am going to call a different vet, the one I called this am did not do plans... thank you all for your input. I hate to see my little baby girl not feeling well.

Several weeks ago Max was sick and I had to take him to the vet and she did xrays etc and the next morning he was doing just fine. I had to give him some thing for nausea..

Old 05-03-2010, 05:46 PM

I took Chloe to the vet this evening and she had a fever of almost 105, normal being about 102. They took a urine sample. Gave her some pain medication and antibiotic. He wanted to keep her overnight and go from there.

I could not afford that. What he did was right over 100. He told me to keep an eye on her and if she doesn't look to be feeling better tomorrow he needs to know asap. She was sent home with three days of antibiotic and pain meds. She has already eaten some kitty treats since we have been home and looks to be feeling a bit better. She had not eaten in a couple of days or so.

He mentioned feline leukemia, feline aids, and something starting with a 'P' and I am usually good with diagnoses please forgive me. I do know that it is something like an infection of the uterus...

So he is going to run the urine and let me know. For now she is out of the closet and sitting right here next to me on the floor. Chloe is feeling so much better right now.... So Happy!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 PM

//www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...&id=1335849588 Chloe in this picture and different pic of she and her brother Maxie Kitty in the album....

Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 PM

96 posts, read 336,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I took Chloe to the vet this evening and she had a fever of almost 105, normal being about 102. They took a urine sample. Gave her some pain medication and antibiotic. He wanted to keep her overnight and go from there.

I could not afford that. What he did was right over 100. He told me to keep an eye on her and if she doesn't look to be feeling better tomorrow he needs to know asap. She was sent home with three days of antibiotic and pain meds. She has already eaten some kitty treats since we have been home and looks to be feeling a bit better. She had not eaten in a couple of days or so.

He mentioned feline leukemia, feline aids, and something starting with a 'P' and I am usually good with diagnoses please forgive me. I do know that it is something like an infection of the uterus...

So he is going to run the urine and let me know. For now she is out of the closet and sitting right here next to me on the floor. Chloe is feeling so much better right now.... So Happy!
The P word you probably heard was pyometra. It is a disease in the uterus. I just had 2 of my girls fixed a few weeks ago. When I picked them up at the end of the day, the vet informed me one had pyometra. She said by getting her fixed, I saved her life. I read online that sometimes antibiotics work but the sure fire way is to get her fixed. Before I took her in, she was eating fine, wasn't lethargic, but was leaking stuff from her vagina. I had called a vet when I noticed the leakage(which kind of looked like mucus). I still had 4 days until her appointment to get fixed and wanted to know if she could wait that long. They told me since she was eating and wasn't lethargic, she should be okay but if it got worse to take her in. Like I said, when I picked her up, vet confirmed it was pyometra. She was very skinny despite how much she ate. Ever since getting fixed, she has been gaining weight and is now doing much better! The antibiotics will probably help for now but you might want to get her fixed asap if the vet says it's pyometra. The vet told me most people don't know about it and that if left untreated, a cat could die from it. However, she said it is usually within a year. Since your cat is so young, antibiotics should be fine for now. Females can develop it after having some heat cycles and not getting pregnant and also can get it if they get pregnant and have more heat cycles afterward without getting pregnant again. I'm not trying to scare you but if vet says it's pyometra, get her fixed as soon as you can. Even if it's not, still fix her when you can.

And no, you are not a terrible cat owner. The fact that you are concerned and called the vet and asked for advice here says that you care. Terrible pet owner would be the person who put a cat outside because she was pregnant and didn't want to deal with it. Lucky for me, that cat is now one of my girls and so is one of her daughters. Two of the sweetest girls I've ever had. (the one that had pyometra was the mom. had heat cycles ALL winter with only a few days break every few weeks! So that's how she got it. Had babies, then several heat cycles without getting pregnant)

Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM

You guys, Miss Chloe is almost back to normal. I am so happy. I dropped off a little thank you card to the vet and staff. I do not know what the problem is, and I plan on gong in to ask what the urine showed, but so far, the meds have helped her.

One thing I worry about if is she is pregnant or not. I have seen her and Max...together...a couple of times. Who knows about in the night and when I was not around.

The vet said if she is pregnant I should bring her in one way or the other to be spayed.

Thank you all for your help and concern.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
The vet said if she is pregnant I should bring her in one way or the other to be spayed.
Check out CareCredit.com. If you can get credit to cover the spaying, you can spread your payment over time. And once you pay it off, you will have some credit for the next pet 'cat'astrophe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats