Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times

Advertisements

I feed Wellness canned grain free/ wellness core and Instincts. Natures logic is also what I feed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM

387 posts, read 2,131,222 times
[quote==^..^=;14093333]Who have you talked to? Friends and neighbors with little knowledge of cat nutrition? People who are unaware that cats are obligate carnivores? Vets? Vets have a vested interest in you buying dry food for your cats. For one thing, they $ell it. The healthier your cats are the less income for them.

Friends, yes. I wouldn't consider them having little knowledge of cat nutrition though. A few of the rescues I considered adopting from suggested feeding Wellness dry food with the occasional canned meal. Not my vet. He didn't push dry food at all.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,851 times
What is so special about Science Diet; especially their "prescription" foods? I understand that you really do need a presctiption to buy it. WHY!??
Near as I could figure out from reading a list of ingredients is that it is made up of a lot of stuff that I would only feed to pigs. (because they seem to eat anything)

My cat has a reaction to something in the food. She had been getting Friskies or the likes from the super market and was scratching holes in her neck and face. I have been feeding her grainless premium foods; tried them all. She had been doing great on Felidae UNTILL the fall of 2008. That is when the FDA gave the go ahead to use Citric Acid and/or Chlorine on all meats. I react to it. And it seems my cat reacts to it. She has been tearing herself apart and the Vet doesn't have a clue.

Has anyone else's animals (or humans) experienced problems from that time?
Home cooking wouldn't help her, as there is nothing available that has not been poisoned with that stuff. I thought about raising mice, but they are highly odiferous. Just one will stink up a whole room over nite.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php - broken link)

Along with the other sites here, please read the information. I highly recommend raw food diet.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I have 3 cats and each of their tastes are different.

My 13 year old will eat only wet cat food. So I feed her gluten-free wet food.

I nearly lost my 11 year old last November due to kidney problems. I switched her to wet. I also have been feeding her Halo dry but she loves it too much and demands more and more of it, thus gaining a lot of weight. So, I tried weight-control Blue Buffalo kibble and she is absolutely crazy about it. I still give her a little wet food. I want her to have the liquid from it. I've never seen any of my pets go completely bonkers over a food but she loves the Blue Buffalo weight-control. I'm so relieved.

My 4 year eats kibble but is not the least interested in wet food.

Cats are like people. Some are very picky about food.

My main goal is to feed them the food that is the healthiest for each of their needs.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
It took me months to get all of our felines completely off of dry kibble. I had to slowly reduce the dry as I added more wet. I also add water to the wet... that sealed the deal!

An all dry diet can cause problems... even if the kibble is a HEALTHY brand. Felines don't have a natural strong thirst drive. Felines suffer many different medical issues due to not taking in enough moisture.

Feeding Your Cat: Know The Basis of Feline Nutrition - Written by Lisa Pierson DVM

Snip..."
Every cat with a blocked urinary tract was “fine” until they started to strain to urinate and either died from a ruptured bladder or had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency catheterization." (Been there, done that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats