Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is taking a healthy domesticated cat to animal control unethical?
It is completely unethical. It is stealing. 10 55.56%
It is perfectly ethical. It is protecting your property. 2 11.11%
It is appropriate, if you promptly inform the owner. 1 5.56%
There are better options (specified in a post). 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:19 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,362,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I would certainly have a conversation with the cat owner. Tell her all that you have posted here and stress just how serious you are. And if she continues to do nothing, call animal control. It is cat owners like this that give all cat owners a bad name. You shouldn't have to suffer for her lack of consideration for others.
That's my suggestion too. I'd let her know if they appeared on my porch again then I'd have them taken to animal control. While I understand how irritating it may be, keep in mind it's not their fault. They're simply following their instinct and going to a place they feel comfortable and happy. Sadly, that's the house of a person that doesn't return those feelings.

The fault lies totally on the shoulders of the cats owner. Outdoor cats live shorter less healthy lives in general. Your neighbor isn't doing them any favors.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,909,353 times
I found a couple of 8 year olds experimenting with matches in my garage once. But, kidnapping and killing is not in the playbook, OK?

If you found 8 year olds in your garage experimenting with matches and didn't bring it to their parent's attention, then that makes you VERY irresponsible. If you did and you found them there again the next day, and the next, and the next, etc and still their parents did nothing - would you then think that you should just deal with it and allow it to continue? Or would you call the police, CPS, the media, etc and insist they be placed in a home where someone would take care of them PROPERLY?

I guess now you want to take back that comparison, eh?

Surely there is a way to make your porch unappealing to cats if you don't want them there.

Surely you have some suggestions, other than what the OP has already tried, right? Why not post them instead of making general statements? It's so easy to judge, isn't it?

Outdoor cats live shorter less healthy lives in general.

My stepmother calls herself "cat-obsessed"... she's owned more than 20 cats in her lifetime. None of hers have lived more than 10 years. She was SHOCKED when I told her that my first two cats lived 27 and 31 years, respectively. The two I have now are 12 years old. The original vet that treated the one I brought in (it was found, very ill, about 1 week old) told me that because she was from feral cats, she probably wouldn't live past 7... she was WAAAAAAY wrong.

Last edited by sskkc; 05-11-2010 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-11-2010, 03:10 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,341,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I guess now you want to take back that comparison, eh?

It's so easy to judge, isn't it?
This might be gone before I even repond to it.. but holy cow. Are you trying to close down the thread or ban yourself?

People that launch this kind of personal and open retalliation don't last long.

If you want to pick a fight, do it privately. I for one, don't really want to hear it. Wilson (and his lovely Jack) are esteemed veterans of the feline forum in most social circles. I don't know where you blew in from to start raining down hate against him - but let's channel that, shall we? Because if you're fighting for the OP's case, you're not exactly "strengthening" their side of it by displaying this kind of negative emotion.

I think we all agree that having to deal with outdoor cats' irresponsible owners seems to be the larger issue here, and should try to stick to the topic here, and take the knives out of eachother's backs.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:22 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,555,124 times
Here's a link to the many dangers cats face when living outdoors...maybe if you print this up and show it to your neighbors, they will understand that by letting them outside and exposing them to all these things, they are being completely irresponsible, not to mention inconsiderate to the other people in the neighborhood.
Outdoor Cats Face Many Hazards

Old 05-11-2010, 03:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,909,353 times
People that launch this kind of personal and open retalliation don't last long.

Actually, I've "been around" longer than you have. I don't 'pigeon hole' myself into one subject however - I'm pretty well rounded.

My responses were not attacks, as you have acknowledged by your word choice - they were RETALIATORY. A RESPONSE to others who wish to simply pass judgement, rather than help out a frustrated CDer who is having her life disrupted by someone else's poor choices. I came in and offered help and support - not self righteous judgement. Though I did point out the self-righteousness of others - is that the part you found offensive? so I'm clear.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,363,882 times
No need to get into a squabble on my account. I ignored SSKKC's remark, as it deserved, being both gratuitous and irrelevant. Most importantly, my explanation to the ethically challenged OP was correct and I stand by it. I do however greatly appreciate the support of others here and hope that my love, respect and service to cats can continue to grow enough to deserve it. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,067,479 times
Thread closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats