Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:04 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The bottom line was that the very favorite wet foods of some of the veterans on this board were among the cat foods containing melamine..
If you are referring to Innova, Wellness and other such non-mainstream species-appropriate healthy foods (which Panther lists frequently for example) and many here have switched to after becoming educated, that would be false.

Again, those brands making species-appropriate, healthy diets were NOT affected, due to them NOT using junk ingredients in the first place.
I hope I am making myself clear here to save you any further *food-confused* responses.

You've indicated that you may have worked for P&G so I'll not be responding anymore. Just want to clear the above up (bolded) for people looking for info who may get confused with your "bottom line" statement.

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-16-2010 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I hope I am making myself clear here to save you any further *food-confused* responses.
I can only add that your combination of irrational projection, the use of straw man arguments (I never said a word about Wellness products) and your need to personalize a response to my utterly correct post, leads me to heartily agree with your decision not to respond to me further. Please keep your promise in that regard. I wish that had been your decision earlier. And, if I may ask for a great favor, please extend that promise to any other posts or threads of mine.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM

257 posts, read 533,886 times
Quote:
And when that's gone, I will again start the hunt for a high-quality, high-protein cat food for my fur kid.
I had my cat on Wellness (canned) for a while. I switched her over to Friskies (canned). It may not be as high-quality as Wellness, but works for her issues. Wellness is a good food IMO, but too pricey for me & my situation.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Could you be referring to the allegation of animal lab research (which I consider indispensible to medical research)
I'm referring to people I know who quit using Iams after the Mathiles sold the company because it wasn't the same quality as in the past.

Wilson, you know just as much as I do that P&G tinkers with new acquisitions just because it can. And then it can tout the product as "new and improved" -- which rarely is the case.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:20 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,974 times
Dammit. EVO is the only dry food my IBD cat can eat.....might have to switch to Wellness now....But first I will make a road trip to the agway that carries EVO and get a couple nice big bags....until I'm ready to tranisition the cat to a new food.

I loved EVO because it was grain free...after the damn scares with wheat and such, EVO was the best choice for Shadow who has IBD. (inflammatory bowel disease)....

Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,974 times
From the Natura Website:

Natura Announces Change In Ownership, But Not Philosophy or Commitment to Quality

You may have heard Natura expects to be acquired by The Procter and Gamble Company sometime in June 2010. By joining the P&G family of brands, our intent is that we will have more resources to raise awareness for the benefits of natural and holistic pet foods. Our hope is even more pets will then experience the benefits of Natura’s high-quality, super-premium brands.

P&G has assured us of their commitment to this business and to the people who have been our partners and our advocates over the years. We will continue to deliver the high quality products that have earned consumers’ trust.

For more than 20 years, Natura has dedicated itself to producing healthy, high-quality pet foods, and we will remain true to that philosophy. As we move forward with this change in ownership you can continue to find Natura pet foods at your local independent pet specialty retailers.

Thank you for your dedicated support and advocacy for Natura Pet foods. We have genuinely appreciated your support in the past and we hope we can count you among our valued customers in the future.

Sincerely,

Well, I'm not buying it. I don't like P&G. So once I have a nice supply of EVO to use up, I'll transition to another cat food. I don't want Shadow having any issues because P&G decides to 'reformulate' EVO and ruin it in the process.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
so depressing

Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
Well, I'm not buying it. I don't like P&G. So once I have a nice supply of EVO to use up, I'll transition to another cat food. I don't want Shadow having any issues because P&G decides to 'reformulate' EVO and ruin it in the process.
Yup - my thoughts exactly. And interestingly enough, echoed by my vet, when I chatted with her on the topic this morning. She did not try to push any of the crap they have stacked up all over the lobby of the office, but instead pulled out a book that they keep (doubtless marked "TOP SEKRIT") listing nutritional values of all brands currently on the market.

Her recommendation was that I transition Finn to Nature's Variety Instinct (grain-free, 95% meat) for canned food, which I will do when I use up the four cases of EVO I picked up this past weekend.

I can already attest to the fact that Nature's Variety grain-free dry kibble is very high quality, and has not bothered Finn's tricky digestive system. He doesn't get much of it - only a tablespoon or so when I go to bed, so he won't awaken me at 3:00 a.m. complaining that he's about to starve to death. But even eating that much of less-than-high quality food would severely upset his tummy, so I am quite confident that it is appropriately formulated and digestible.

So, while I am still seriously bummed out by Natura Pet's decision to sell out to P&G, I am not quite as worried about finding an acceptable alternative as I was on Saturday. Of course, I still don't know if Finn will decide that the new food is scrumptious enough for his discriminating tastebuds, but then as hungry as he usually is each mealtime, I imagine that he'll quickly learn to make do with it.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
.....might have to switch to Wellness now....
Hey, I meant to pass on a precaution about Wellness. My vet used to be quite a fan of it, but said she began seeing an increase in urinary blockages in the cats who were on a steady diet of Wellness, so has somewhat backed off recommending it. She was the one to encourage me to switch Finn to EVO last fall, when he was having tummy issues, and based on his favorable reaction to that change, I do not plan to put him back on the Wellness again.

It might not be a problem for your kitty, of course, but you might want to do a bit more checking around before starting the transition.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
Instinct is a great food, my babies love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats