Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,699 times

Advertisements

My male cat has had this problem for a few years. He sneezes on occassion and the fur area around his nose is pink. I took him to the vet twice. The first time they gave him antibiotics, but the longer I gave them to him, he seemed to get sicker, so I stopped.The allergies let up somewhat. I took him back last year and they gave him a steroid shot which really made him lethargic, and was not well for a few days. The vet said, that the shots could be bad, and that they did'nt give them that much.
I will not do the shot or the antibiotics again, as he seemed to suffer more from the medicines, and they did not help much.
I was researching online and was wondering about herbal remedies. I ordered something for respiratory problems from a company called the Only Natural Pet Store. Has anyone heard of them? Is there any harm in giving cats herbal supplements?
He is 6 years old, has been neutered and declawed.
Any help would be appreciated.
He also has had a problem with vomitting. He has done this sincve I had him. He does it a couple of times a week. Sometimes it is the food coming back up. Other times it is clear or white color, and once in awhile kind of greenish-yellow.
He eats Iams dry food, and will not eat anything else. the people I got him from fed him this since they had him. he is not very active and I think is underweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM

374 posts, read 759,416 times
Here are some ideas and questions I thought of after reading your post:

Has he had any blood work done to rule out other problems?
If he is underweight you can try a product called 'Nutrical". It's available at most pet supply stores.
Which other foods have you tried feeding him? Have you tried a sensitive stomach formula?

As long as the supplement is specifically for cats it should be fine to try.

Have you thought about trying a different vet? I don't know
anything about your situation but it may be that your vet isn't
doing everything that can be done to help with the allergy symptoms.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,699 times
Default Cat sneexing.

Have'nt done bloodwork. I have tried the other formulas of Iams. He still throws up. The people I got him from fed him that and he will not eat anything else. I have tried and gave up on wasting the money. He will not even eat regular meat of any kind.
I will try the supplement you mentioned.Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to go to the vets. I have had other cats in the past and they would eat anything and for the most part were healthy and lived to be quite old.They prefered not to eat cat food, and I did not have half the problems. They even drank milk, which I keep hearing is not good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats