U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 17,785 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...Ok I have an 8 month old kitten named Prince, who in the past HAS thrown up...seems he has a sensitive stomach towards wet food. I took him off the wet food, and the throwing up stopped. Well just a few weeks ago I got a new (now 3 month) old kitten named Zeus. He is on a different brand food than Prince (a baby cat food- Royal Canine), and I was told by his then foster Mom to keep him on that food. Well the first week I kept the 2 kittens seperate, but now they are super bonded so they are together all the time. Only problem is, Prince seems to enjoy the baby's food a lot more than his own food, and will rarely eat from his own bowl. I've also noticed he started throwing up again. What's the best way to fix this problem, I really don't want to seperate them again, as they will just cry all day long. Should I just continue to let Prince eat the baby's food, or buy him the kitten level of the Canine Royal, and see if the throwing up stops eventually? I'm thinking maybe he loves it so much he's just overeating? He doesn't throw up daily, it's just once in a while, but this past week it's been like 2 days in a row.

Also FYI, both kittens are all up to date on all shots/vacc's. They did both recently get the Feline Chlamydia infection, which they are both on medication for. I'm wondering if that could be contributing? Neither have sysmptoms anymore since being on the meds the last 2 days (since saturday). The baby hasn't thrown up, just the 8 month old.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:27 PM

622 posts, read 1,586,920 times
Most cat food is garbage and RC is no expection. Below are some of the better commerical brands.

Wellness grain free

Instincts

Ziwi peak

Wellness core

Natures logic

taste of the wild

Canned is better then dry.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Most cat food is garbage and RC is no expection. Below are some of the better commerical brands.

Wellness grain free

Instincts

Ziwi peak

Wellness core

Natures logic

taste of the wild

Canned is better then dry.

I've heard different opinions from different people in regards to the canned food. A lot say it's okay to feed it sometimes, as long as it's not the whole diet because it's more fattening and bad for their teeth. Granted I brush my kittens teeth, so I would think it would be no big deal. I've also heard dry food is a lot of empty carbs as well, with a lot of fillers. That's funny that you say RC is crap, the foster mom was so sure if was one of the best because it has a lot less fillers than most other brands? I'm new to being a pet owner, so the more info I can get the better. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,584,298 times
Default Here are some links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarz83 View Post
I've heard different opinions from different people in regards to the canned food. A lot say it's okay to feed it sometimes, as long as it's not the whole diet because it's more fattening and bad for their teeth. Granted I brush my kittens teeth, so I would think it would be no big deal. I've also heard dry food is a lot of empty carbs as well, with a lot of fillers. That's funny that you say RC is crap, the foster mom was so sure if was one of the best because it has a lot less fillers than most other brands? I'm new to being a pet owner, so the more info I can get the better. Thanks!
It's not more fattening and does no more harm to their teeth than their natural diet of mice, small reptiles and birds.

Here's some good links to start you off:
Feline nutrition information:
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi
Cat Nutrition.Org
History of dry food (a must-read article):
Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php - broken link)
Incestuous Pet Food Regulation Allows Consumers to Feed their Pets Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes
Diabetes and Obesity: Preventable Epidemics (Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM)
Canned Cat Food - THE Staple for a Nutritious Diet for Cats
Cat Food Comparison - Brands A-Z
Feline Nutrition
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM
http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf (broken link)
The Dry Cat Food Crisis | http://www.felinefuture.com (dry foods)
Raw Fed Cats

Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 PM

257 posts, read 507,699 times
I have two small cats-7 lbs. each, that eat canned food only. They each get one 5.5 oz can each day, more if they need it. Neither one has a problem with dental tartar & I don't brush their teeth.

I started them on this diet after the older one was having constant bladder problems--UTIs, stones, bacteria, etc. We had tried every medicine, every prescription diet & even surgery. Nothing worked until we switched her to canned food. We did start out with the Wellness brand, but switched to something more cost effective that works just as well for her.

The new cat (under 1 y.o.) was started on canned food & I tried to switch her to dry, but she had constant diarrhea. That completely stopped after switching her back to canned. I think it resolved after 1, maybe 2 days.

I've had cats for 20 years & have always had them on dry. I always thought it was better.....it sure was cheaper! Now, I will never put one on dry.

The links in post #4 are very helpful, especially catinfo.org and catnutrition.org

Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Thank you all so much, my older kitten Prince (8 months) seems to Love wet food, but he always gets Diarhea after he eats it so my vet told me to keep him on dry food. Maybe his stomach is just too sensitive for the rich wet food. I'll attempt it again on a different brand and see if that makes a difference. I only tried Authority wet food, so I'll try one of these other brands listed to see if that works for him, and if not, I guess he's just stuck with dry food. My younger kitten Zeus loves wet food, and he handles it just fine so I'll continue him on a wet/dry food diet for now. They both go for their follow-up appts tomorrow at the vet so we'll see how that goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats