Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

have you tried spreading cat nip on the cat scratching posts? outside cats claws need to be pretty sharp so they can defend themselves and climb trees to get away from danger. you should change vets if you have one suggesting declawing. don't do it, it is cruel. how would you like to be de fingered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Declawing an outside cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This topic generates a lot of emotion, which is understandable. Naive persons see declawing as an option with downside consequences. I once thought that too. And, the veterinarian pushing declawing contributed to that. Now, older and more experienced I know that declawing is not an option, it is a mutilation as knowledgable others have said. There should not be a choice of declawing, any more than there would be a choice for amputation of a leg or blinding the animal (which could also be argued to make them easier to manage). Declawing is as much a mutilation as blinding or amputation.

No, there is no case for declawing. Any attempts to make the case are excuses by the guilty or the musings of the uninformed.
Again, everyone had an opinion. If I thought like you do, I would let a cat stay in a shelter and be euthanized insteady of saving it, and making sure it is well cared for. You have almost convinced me no cat is worth saving. Not!

Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Declawing an outside cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I totally agree. Most vets want even do it anymore and if they do,you have to assure them that the cat is strictly an indoor cat. There is something wrong with this vet and I would definitely find another one immediately.

Only in Florida!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
I would switch vets. It sounds like your vet is NOT a cat person. I wouldn't even use a vet that does declawing I think it is so cruel. Imagine having the last 1/3 section of your fingers amputated. That is what it is like.

There was a cat where I used to live who was declawed and the owner stupidly let him go outside. Without the usual way to defend itself the cat would BITE rather than try to deter with a swipe of his paws. In fact the cat, every chance he got would try to sneak inside my house when it was for sale and the realtor was trying to show it. One time it got on the fridge, according to the realtor, and he tried to get the cat down and it BIT him.

Have you tried finding a groomer? Groomers cut cats' nails a lot more often than vets do. I bet a good groomer could put your cat at ease and get his nails clipped. In the meantime, you should try to do it. I cut my cat's nails on the front feet anyway. I usually only get a few at a time. Anitra Frazier's book tells how to do it.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
I hope she listions but again I dont think so. Another cat satistic.

All we can do is inform people on it.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
It makes me so sad that some vets encourage the practice of de-clawing. People tend to trust the advice of their vet, and many wouldn't question it if the vet said it was an a-okay thing to do.

Bums me out.
Almost as sad is they also believe what the vets tell them to feed their cats. Dry kibble loaded with grains such as corn. I'm convinced vets either don't know that cats are obligate carnivores, or they don't care. After all, slender healthy cats don't make them the income fat unhealthy cats do.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I did not read through the entire thread.
The vet *does* sound a bit wacky to me, and I would never declaw a cat.
But just to share:
Their are two adopted cats down the street from us, littermate brothers, who were already neutered and declawed. Their owners tried to turn them into inside cats, but these guys were having none of it. Their housesitter told me that the cats literally destroyed two rooms, clawing (I assume with back legs!) pooping and peeing etc.
So rather than take them back to the shelter, their owners let them out.
They roam all over the place, everybody knows them because they are so friendly. Is it risky? Of course. My husband has rescued one from a roof, but for the most part they seem to be just fine, it's been four years now.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
So rather than take them back to the shelter, their owners let them out.
They roam all over the place, everybody knows them because they are so friendly. Is it risky? Of course. My husband has rescued one from a roof, but for the most part they seem to be just fine, it's been four years now.
I don't know who told you that story but it's hard to believe. It would mean someone with outside cats had them declawed and for some reason took them to a shelter. There would be no reason to declaw outside cats. If they were indoor cats they would have been happy to stay indoors in their new home. Something sounds fishy..........

Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Neither of them can leave my yard and other animals can't easily get into my yard. They are both safe. True, they can not climb trees, but they have a place where they can go where they are safe from larger animals. Dogs can not get into my yard. Deer can, and do, but they don't bother the cats.
This makes no sense at all. Deer are large animals, much larger than dogs, so how are the cats "safe from larger animals"? Most anything that would threaten a cat (other cats, coyotes, dogs, etc.) are smaller than a deer. And, how exactly can deer get into your yard when dogs can't?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
Deer can jump fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats