Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:50 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times

Advertisements

Maybe she's one of those that says duh a lot, like "like" a lot? and meant no offense?

Introducing cat nip at a young age increases the chances that they will have a positive effect against it as they grow older. I think it's sad when 3 out of 4 of my kittehs play with the catnip and go nuts, and the other one just sits there quietly and misses out in the fun. I wouldn't get the actual dried crushed catnip - too easily inhaled by your new kitten, but they sell the plant itself, and they sell catnip condensed sprays.

And just in case anyone hasn't thought of this yet, wear a pair of jeans or a sweater around for 3 or 4 days (till it smells like mommy inside and out) and put it in her new little bed. That way she can be comforted when you're not there, and you're bonding with her at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 04:54 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
That said, I would also forego a collar, unless it is a break-away so that kitty does not hang him/herself.
Those break-away collars are also dangerous. The ones I bought took over 20 lbs to open. How many cats or kittens are that heavy? They're only good for very obese cats that wouldn't feel like playing anyway. If you test yours let me know how much it takes to snap apart. Mine came from PetsMart.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Those break-away collars are also dangerous. The ones I bought took over 20 lbs to open. How many cats or kittens are that heavy? They're only good for very obese cats that wouldn't feel like playing anyway. If you test yours let me know how much it takes to snap apart. Mine came from PetsMart.
Little Moo's breakaway collar broke away from her.. mysteriously, it keeps breaking and falling down the stairs (the collar, not the kitty ) - and providing hours of un-interrupted entertainment for her and Cinders.

I swear, when they start their nightly charade of "jingle collar toss" up and down the stairs, it sounds like Santa landed on the roof and is breaking & entering.

- she won't tell me how it keeps falling off, but I know she would if she could!

Old 05-29-2010, 05:23 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Maybe she's one of those that says duh a lot, like "like" a lot? and meant no offense?

Introducing cat nip at a young age increases the chances that they will have a positive effect against it as they grow older. I think it's sad when 3 out of 4 of my kittehs play with the catnip and go nuts, and the other one just sits there quietly and misses out in the fun. I wouldn't get the actual dried crushed catnip - too easily inhaled by your new kitten, but they sell the plant itself, and they sell catnip condensed sprays.

And just in case anyone hasn't thought of this yet, wear a pair of jeans or a sweater around for 3 or 4 days (till it smells like mommy inside and out) and put it in her new little bed. That way she can be comforted when you're not there, and you're bonding with her at the same time.
One can only hope

Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Little Moo's breakaway collar broke away from her.. mysteriously, it keeps breaking and falling down the stairs (the collar, not the kitty ) - and providing hours of un-interrupted entertainment for her and Cinders.

I swear, when they start their nightly charade of "jingle collar toss" up and down the stairs, it sounds like Santa landed on the roof and is breaking & entering.

- she won't tell me how it keeps falling off, but I know she would if she could!
I am fairly certain that she and Cinders have figured out a way to pop it off of her so that it goes flying down the stairs. I can just see the look of sheer delight and fascination on their faces

Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I got mine from PetSupermarket. I never tested it to see how much pressure it took to get it off (I have no idea how to test like that). But I do know that they work as I have an indoor/outdoor who lost three (which I found, abandoned, outside), which actually made me quite happy as it meant that she either got caught on something and it popped off (as it should) or it didn't take much to pop it off (she likes to roll around in the dirt). Truth be told, she doesn't even wear a collar now as it is a lesson in futility (but she is microchipped, JIC) and she clearly despises them.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Truth be told, she doesn't even wear a collar now as it is a lesson in futility and she clearly despises them.
Twix flat out refuses to have anything to do with a collar, as well. Which works out well, and rather interestingly, when the black velvet panther lurks under the bed and springs out at moo and cinders while they're rolling around and jingling away on the floor unsuspectingly. I'm so glad they can entertain themselves while I'm at work, lol. (and I thank God every day, because if I hadn't lost moo, I wouldn't have Cinders - and with the 2 of them running the cat-household, Twix has gotten her young spunk back and joins in on the fun - when she never used to!)

So I suppose it has everything to do with what they are comfortable with as they grow up, so to the OP - whatever your plans are for your new kitten, start them young! Whether it's wearing a collar, eating out of your hand, walking on a leash, peeing in the toilet.. (okay we still haven't tested that one yet!) It sounds like you're off to a good start, simply because you care enough to post in advance. The only thing I didn't see on your list, however... and I would say this is the most critical of all, when raising a young kitten ... a CAMERA!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
No, I meant "duh, I didn't get the litterbox and litter yet". I wasn't being snarky with you.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:14 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
haha, and Yes, I have a camera. I'll probably forgo the collar since he'll be indoors, the jingle bell noise is cute though.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
No, I meant "duh, I didn't get the litterbox and litter yet". I wasn't being snarky with you.
Oh, haha. That's really funny, it sounds like something I would do: "I'm pretty sure I have everything but it still feels as if something is missing. Hmmm, I wonder what it could be..." (shot to the new kitten, in the background, relieving itself in a corner)

I hope you can post some pics when you get a chance. I can't get another cat so I have to live vicariously through those that can Kittens are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats