Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 12:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get the smell of cat pee out of an area on or around my front door. I have tried XO (odor neutralizer), Nature's Miracle, Windex on the glass of the storm door (I don't know where the cat peed, on the wood or storm door). Nothing's working, and I'm at a disadvantage because I don't know where the pee is exactly. It's from a cat who has been hanging out on my porch. The sun is baking the area where he peed, and when I open the door I can smell it.

Any suggestions from others who have dealt with this? It's driving me crazy. Would a black light show where the pee is even though I have already used cleaners on the supposed area? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,852 times
A black light would work to find the source. I don't know if the cleaners would have interfered with that, though. At pet stores you can buy a set of cleaner and a black light called "Stinkfinder" that you might try when it's dark outside. If it were me I would just pour the cleaner (not Windex or anything with ammonia) all over the whole area and let it soak in like the pee did. Then maybe do it again after it has dried and this time use a scrubbing brush to work it into the cement. Supposedly that will keep a cat from peeing there again but I think you have to get the smell completely out first.

I have heard of certain plants or herbs that cats don't like - maybe you can find out what they are and put some near your front door. They also don't like citrus so maybe squeezing a lime, lemon or orange around the area once in a while will help - might help the smell anyway! :-0

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
You can try using a vinegar solution - possibly followed by baking soda. There are a few ideas on here.

How to Get Rid of Cat Urine

Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Don't use Windex or other ammonia based product to remove cat urine. Think about - urine contains ammonia.

I have used a diluted bleach mixture and then rinsed really, really well. Als Murphy's Oil Soap for wood can help too.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Don't use Windex or other ammonia based product to remove cat urine. Think about - urine contains ammonia.

I have used a diluted bleach mixture and then rinsed really, really well. Als Murphy's Oil Soap for wood can help too.
I was just about to suggest almost the same thing. I have used Simple Green with bleach and after really rinsing good, the smell of urine does come out. If you have a wet vac, that would even work better to vacuum the cleaner up after scrubbing the area. Good luck!

Oh yes! IF you are doing this by hand, make sure you use a pair of hardy rubber gloves so that your hands don't come in direct contact with the bleach.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM

24 posts, read 69,504 times
You will definitely need a black light in order to find the urine. You may be surprised just where you would see it. If Nature's Miracle didnt work, IMO I would use Urine Off. It is very good.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
STINK FREE DIRECT

Use it in the Cattery. Appears to be heads above Nature's Miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats