Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 PM

438 posts, read 946,976 times

Advertisements

When I was a teenager, my family adopted 4 kittens. All of them ended up being indoor-outdoor cats. One died at age 5, from a sudden medical condition unrelated to being an outdoor kitty. Two of the others disappeared...one at age 8 after we moved to a new place, and one of them vanished a few months ago at age 13. I loved that cat...he really was the most amazing feline and it sucks that he isn't around anymore. Any future cats I have will get raised indoor-only...
At any rate, there's only one surviving cat left. I don't live with my parents anymore and was considering bringing him to live with me as an indoor cat, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not.
He is 12 and spends alot of time indoors as is. He doesn't roam too far when he is outside, doesn't enjoy hunting, doesn't fight with other cats...so maybe he is just fine where he is?
My parents refuse to keep cats indoor only because they don't want to deal with a litter box.
If I take him with me, he'll have to adjust to a new place as well as adjusting to becoming an indoor-only cat. I wonder how much he would miss being outdoors? Also he isn't fond of my dog and they will be living indoors together. I'm around the house alot during the weekdays so I could give him plenty of attention, but on weekends I don't like to spend too much time at home. And I plan to move in a year or two, which I know cats hate, so he'd have to readjust again when I do that.

I would enjoy having him around and making sure he is safe, but maybe I am being selfish in wanting him with me? He has spent pretty much his entire life at my parents house and yard...I'm not sure if I should shake up his world this late in the game, or if it is in his best interests...but I don't want him to end up like the other cats and just disappear one day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
It depends on the cat. IMHE, it has never worked and isn't a good idea. But then, it depends on how much the cat enjoys or is used to being outside. Moreover, cats don't generally like to be moved, so moving the cat and then insisting it be inside-only all of a sudden after 12 years might be asking a bit much. But the only way you will know is if you try; if it doesn't work, then take him back to your parents.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:35 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I have an outdoor cat that transitioned himself to being a totally indoor cat. He was outdoors for 10 years, and has no interest in being outside anymore. He does sneak out once a in while if the door if left open, but he only sits by the back door. He likes living in luxury now.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
It just depends on the cat. If he and the dog can tolerate one another (have they spent much time together before?), I'd say give it a shot. There are too many unhappy endings outside.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
Before I moved out of my parents house my bf got me a kitten. It was 3 years later I moved out, and I left my cat with my parents. She was an indoor/outdoor. She pretty much stayed right on their street, and more time inside then out. My dad loved that cat so much. As much as I wanted her to stay indoors, I couldn't take her away from my dad.

As the others stated, I think it will depend on your cat. Plus he will have to adjust to your dog. If you think he really has a good life now, why change it. You can always go adopt a cat if you want one with you. Since I've moved out of my parents house I've had a total of 7 cats, all indoor only. I currently have 3. I know I made the right decision leaving my cat with my parents.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,080 times
We adopted our outdoor indoor Cat when she was 3 ish.
After loosing a 6 year old outdoor Cat to **who knows what about a year before that we decided this one would be indoors only.
We were lucky, she took to it well and is now 18....
And doing well ***knock on wood.
Waking us up every morning.
Life is good.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have an outdoor cat that transitioned himself to being a totally indoor cat. He was outdoors for 10 years, and has no interest in being outside anymore. He does sneak out once a in while if the door if left open, but he only sits by the back door. He likes living in luxury now.

In a nutshell lol.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
When I was a teenager, my family adopted 4 kittens. All of them ended up being indoor-outdoor cats. One died at age 5, from a sudden medical condition unrelated to being an outdoor kitty. Two of the others disappeared...one at age 8 after we moved to a new place, and one of them vanished a few months ago at age 13. I loved that cat...he really was the most amazing feline and it sucks that he isn't around anymore. Any future cats I have will get raised indoor-only...
At any rate, there's only one surviving cat left. I don't live with my parents anymore and was considering bringing him to live with me as an indoor cat, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not.
He is 12 and spends alot of time indoors as is. He doesn't roam too far when he is outside, doesn't enjoy hunting, doesn't fight with other cats...so maybe he is just fine where he is?
My parents refuse to keep cats indoor only because they don't want to deal with a litter box.
If I take him with me, he'll have to adjust to a new place as well as adjusting to becoming an indoor-only cat. I wonder how much he would miss being outdoors? Also he isn't fond of my dog and they will be living indoors together. I'm around the house alot during the weekdays so I could give him plenty of attention, but on weekends I don't like to spend too much time at home. And I plan to move in a year or two, which I know cats hate, so he'd have to readjust again when I do that.

I would enjoy having him around and making sure he is safe, but maybe I am being selfish in wanting him with me? He has spent pretty much his entire life at my parents house and yard...I'm not sure if I should shake up his world this late in the game, or if it is in his best interests...but I don't want him to end up like the other cats and just disappear one day...
He'll adjust just fine. He'll actually be much happier and healthier and live longer. Everybody wins. Good for you. My cats are and have always been indoor only. I wouldnt have it any other way. Every time I see a dead cat on the road I want to shoot the owner myself.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-06-2010, 03:59 AM

24 posts, read 69,500 times
I transitioned an outdoor kitty into an indoor kitty and she definitely settled in fine.
I will say the first 2 months she cried at the door, so I distracted her with a wand toy "Da Bird" and I bought her cat trees to climb up and look out the window.

My cat before her who was an inside outside kitty, disappeared and I was heartbroken, I did not want her to have the same fate.

Shes been in 7 years now and loving it. She even lets me do what I want around her home, sometimes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats