Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times

Advertisements

At one point her weight had plummeted to an astonishing 82 lbs and ten years later Ally McBeal actress Portia De Rossi is revealing how the vicious cycle of starving herself and then binging and purging almost killed her.

But in a romantic twist to her fairytale ending, the 37-year-old claims it was meeting her wife, Ellen Degeneres, in March 2001 that cured her of her low self esteem issues and subsequently saved her life.

In her new memoir, Unbearable Lightness, Portia chronicles her spiral into anorexia and bulimia which started when she moved from her native Australia to Hollywood and landed a role on Ally McBeal.

'I'd never known a day when my weight wasn't the determining factor for my self esteem,' she says in the book.

'The more effort I put into starving myself, the more satisfaction I would feel.'

At her lowest point the actress survived on 150 calories a day, took up to 20 laxatives and worked out for hours on end - resulting in her five foot eight inch frame being reduced to a mere 82lbs.

She collapsed on the set of the film Who Is Cletis Tout? in 2001 and was told she was suffering from Oesteoperosis, cirrhosis of the liver, organ failure and the auto-immune disease lupus.

The actress began to eat after her multiple diagnosis but swung into a phase of compulsive eating, gaining 85 lbs in a year.

And then she met Ellen.

The pair were introduced at concert for Rock The Vote in March 2001 and De Rossi admitted she was instantly smitten.

'I remember being so excited and overjoyed to be around her that i can still recall the feeling of running after her back stage.'

Ellen, 52, and Portia married on August 16th 2008 in a private ceremony at the talk show host's Beverly Hills home.

'Ellen has taught me not to care about other people's opinions,' she said.

'Ellen saw a glimpse of my inner being from underneath the flesh and bone, reached in and pulled me out.'

Portia De Rossi reveals how Ellen DeGeneres cured her of the eating disorder that almost killed her | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
couple of things the in this article confuses me:
(1) I never saw any pic of her weighing 160+ pounds. Even a pic included in the article doesn't convince me she ever weighed that much.
(2) can cirrhosis of the liver and Lupus be cured??

I've never heard of a cure for either; yet she doesn't mention any long term effcts of either.

Just sayin........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities