Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I don't believe MTV had any idea a show like that would blow up like it did. They've been doing reality TV for literally decades now--they're usually credited with inventing that entire genre of television, but they'd never had a show catch on like Shore.

The Snooki's of the world are just plain lucky I guess is my point. Lucky somebody put them in front of a TV camera and even luckier still that their personas caught on with viewing audiences.

Its true. They put Jersey Shore on because the rest of the country was blown away that there are people that actually dress and act like that. It was meant to enhance and bring to life the guido characature and stereotype. It was meant to be the train wreck that it is......nobody predicted this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
When is this chub's 15 minutes of fame going to end?

I am fed up with that smirk on her face in every picture you see of her. She needs to be smacked!

If I ever get a pot bellied pig as a pet I'm naming it Snooki.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I don't believe MTV had any idea a show like that would blow up like it did. They've been doing reality TV for literally decades now--they're usually credited with inventing that entire genre of television, but they'd never had a show catch on like Shore.

The Snooki's of the world are just plain lucky I guess is my point. Lucky somebody put them in front of a TV camera and even luckier still that their personas caught on with viewing audiences.
They are the masters of putting crappy shows on T.V. every year. Just because a show is popular does not mean it is a"good" show.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,623 times
I am really scared for the future of this world. I mean really, really scared. I passed high school a long time ago, and now look at the young'uns and what they're doing. Truly astonishing stuff. I don't want to 'blame' anything or anyone, but really who is to blame for this? We can all point our fingers at the TV and mtv groups, but is there more to it than that? I mean, I remember watching mtv, smoking pot in high school, getting drunk and screwing around with girls.
But nowhere as bad as kids today. I'm not trying to paint all kids with the same brush but come on already. We were saints compared to them and at least could pass our exams!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I think I read that the phrase "famous for being famous" started with some heiresses of the 1920s, but looking it up I was thinking of the term "celebutante." I imagine there was a Vanderbilt, Astor, or Rothschild that was the "Paris Hilton of her day." Alice Roosevelt Longworth might come close to that as she was famous for being the witty and scandalous daughter of President Theodore Roosevelt. (Okay only in her dreams is Paris Hilton is as witty or interesting as her, but still if Alice had been the witty and scandalous daughter of a baker probably no one would have heard of her) Although she did some noteworthy roles early on Zsa Zsa Gabor was largely famous for being Zsa Zsa Gabor. She might also fit into those who were "famous for marrying someone rich and/or famous." Ivana Trump is a later, but still earlier than today, example of "famous for marrying fame" and might be a "purer" example of that than Zsa Zsa. Ivana was an alternate on the Olympic Czech ski team, but she wouldn't have become famous for that. Zsa Zsa maybe could have been like a D-list celebrity just on her film roles.

What is maybe new is people who get this kind of fame without being the spouse, mistress, daughter, or son of someone rich and famous. So although I might be able to think of a better equivalent to Paris Hilton from the distant past an equivalent to Snooki might be much harder. And I think that is related to reality TV. Although I'd say Youtube has had some role too.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,252 times
I think since about 1990, pop culture has gone from stupid to absurdly stupid...

Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,844 times
Maybe....but she still is HOT HOT HOT!

Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
spoiled kids with too much time on their hands watching too much tv and wishing they could be rich for doing nothing. Honestly, bad parenting
Everybody complains then turns right around and spoils their kids rotten

Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 PM

14 posts, read 15,352 times
I may be alone here, but I love Snooki. I can't get enough of her. I love watching absolutely insane and useless people bafoon themselves. She entertains me.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Its true. They put Jersey Shore on because the rest of the country was blown away that there are people that actually dress and act like that. It was meant to enhance and bring to life the guido characature and stereotype. It was meant to be the train wreck that it is......nobody predicted this.
Exactly...its Jerry Springer TV for teens. If it were a bunch of black or hispanic kids, the NAACP or LULAC would be all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities