Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,008,090 times

Advertisements

This question is insulting to Aaliyah, so my answer is of course: Aaliyah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,450,947 times
Both are terrible singers.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,505,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Exactly it's only been 4 years and already that song is a distant memory. When I think of that song I think of the video not the song, Monique at the BET awards and Jay Z. I remember the chorus and the hook. Since you're talking about the booty popping that means that you're thinking more about the video too than the words. Great videos aren't the same as great songs. I'd say Halo has a better chance of lasting than Crazy in Love.

I think so too. Speaking of it songs; I think Beautiful is definitely an it song.

I guess we will see...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,137,055 times
You know, when Ciara's "Goodies" came out, I almost thought it was Aaliyah. After Ciara proved that she was't going to be a one hit wonder, I couldn't help but think that this was the trajectory that Aaliyah's music would have moved toward. Both have very light, weak voices, rely on intricate dance moves, and tend to stay much more on the R&B/urban side. I always wondered if Ciara represented was Aaliyah could have been. I would actually say that Ciara wouldn't be where she is without Aaliyah.

Beyonce's style of music doesn't even overlap with Aaliyah's. Beyonce is R&B, leaning on the Pop side. I would say Christina Milian (musically) and especially, early Rhianna, would not be around if it weren't for Beyonce.

Here's a really unpopular opionion; I don't think Beyonce can dance. I think she's been choreographed within an inch of her life, and her moves come off as stiff and spastic. She's certainly gotten better over the years, but a dancer, she is not.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,083,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
You know, when Ciara's "Goodies" came out, I almost thought it was Aaliyah. After Ciara proved that she was't going to be a one hit wonder, I couldn't help but think that this was the trajectory that Aaliyah's music would have moved toward. Both have very light, weak voices, rely on intricate dance moves, and tend to stay much more on the R&B/urban side. I always wondered if Ciara represented was Aaliyah could have been. I would actually say that Ciara wouldn't be where she is without Aaliyah.

Beyonce's style of music doesn't even overlap with Aaliyah's. Beyonce is R&B, leaning on the Pop side. I would say Christina Milian (musically) and especially, early Rhianna, would not be around if it weren't for Beyonce.

Here's a really unpopular opionion; I don't think Beyonce can dance. I think she's been choreographed within an inch of her life, and her moves come off as stiff and spastic. She's certainly gotten better over the years, but a dancer, she is not.
I don't know. I think she can dance, but not in the same sense as Ciara or Aaliyah [ Personally; I think Aaliyah's dancing is overrated]. Beyonce's dance style is more wild; while Aaliyah's was more routine and professional.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,328,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I guess we will see...
Just a question? why the constant rolling of the eyes icon. maybe I'm a little behind on the meaning of rolling your eyes but last I checked it was rude. We have a difference of opinions but I'm not upset about it...so why the icon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
She can't do complicated choreography (anybody remember the Behind The Scenes of Naughty Girl? She and usher had a dance sequence that was scrapped because she wasn't getting it. And the Behind the Scenes for Beautiful Liar was funny too because Shakira was trying to teach her and she just wasn't getting it. The director was brilliant in the way he shot the video though) but she's good at what she's does, which is hair flipping, butt shaking and grinding.

The thing that makes Beyonce great is that she gives her all in everything she does; she may not be the best but she gives her best, which is what makes her fun to watch.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,505,335 times
oh...I don't know.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 23,882 times
Hey I'm a new member. This thread REALLY caught my attention So Im going to make my first post here because I talk about this with my friends ALL the time and it's ALWAYS an hour long debate

Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Amazing?? Don't take much to impress you does it? Don't you think that's too strong a description for Aaliyah??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOhRj...eature=related

It's the same thing............sexy eye candy. Mediocre voices with studio enhancements. Making boys drool and girls jealous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp6W4aK1sbs

you actually compared her To CIARA????

Aaliyah may not be the best singer, but she sung loads better than what you think and could sing laps around Ciara

compare this

To THIS horrid mess

Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Like Aaliyah did??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5AAcgtMjUI

Look neither of them are legends! But "amazing" should be reserved for someone with some strong vocal range. Gladys Knight?? Anita Baker?? Chaka Khan??? Could Aailyah do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTMaj1zhk_g

Bee is definitely more talented...sorry.
You have to remember that Beyonce lived past the age of 22. She had time to train and develop her singing voice. When Aaliyah died, she was still growing with hers. If you remember, when Destiny's Child were still new Beyonce wasn't this "amazing" vocalist she is today. Comparing Beyonce's voice at 29 to Aaliyah's voice at 22 is an unfair comparison.

Aaliyah's voice wasn't that powerful, but she had a beautiful tone, decent range, and great emotional input with her voice. She shouldn't be classed as a "Ciara". Aaliyah has a soft voice with vocal skill, Ciara has a soft voice with no skill (see the above vids I posted as proof)

also, did you know that Aaliyah was going to be in sparkle? She even recorded her rendition of "Giving Up". I was impressed, because I never heard aaliyah sing like this. Check it out. Of course it doesn't top Hathaway's version, but a good version nothenless

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities