Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Im with you on this. If you see them on the cover of Ebony or Essence magazine, the caption would say "Beautiful Black woman....." or "Black ........" something.

When Halle Berry one Best Actress, they didnt say "first bi-racial actress to win..." they said "First Black.......". It just drives me crazy how some (just a few) get all worked up over people considering bi-racial people black. Im sure Halle, Alicia, etc. put on their census "black".

I think that the point she is making is that there are plenty of beautiful black women out there who are just black. Not bi-racial. When you think of Halle Berry you just think of black? That seems sort of wrong on so many levels. Why do you view them as just half of what they are? You do know that she is just as well white as black. But because she is darker toned than white people you become the authority on what she is? Seems like some of you only look at things from one side. I'm sure her mom would be proud that you only view her as black. People are often many things, why is that so hard to understand? And I'm sorry but from when I first saw the thread being from N. America, I automatically thought black and black only. To me, meaning African American. Apparently (smh) I was wrong since some people from other countries and continents felt the need to inform me that in many countries (which I personally find hard to believe) basically call everyone black. Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Philippino's, Brazillians, he ll I'm Italian and tan very dark so I suspect I would be considered black...

There are so many beautiful (and I'll speak strictly N. American term of black) black women in this country that we don't have to pick women who are half white or any other mix. I think her point is valid. And I can see her point of view. It's like saying that someone isn't beautiful unless they have some other ethnicity in them...Which is so wrong. Black women are just as beautiful as any other race..

Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I think that the point she is making is that there are plenty of beautiful black women out there who are just black. Not bi-racial. When you think of Halle Berry you just think of black. That seems sort of wrong on some levels. Why do you view them as just half of what they are? You do know that she is just as well white as black. But because she is darker toned than white people you become the authority on it. Seems like some of you only look at things from one side. I'm sure her mom would be proud that you only view her as black.
Halle said her mom always told her she was a black woman whose mom happened to be white. Same with A. Keys. The mirror tells them they are beautiful. That's how it has been for eons in America; if you are of African descent, no matter what place that African descent is from, you are black. But when speaking about African American people, there is no such thing as "just black." AAs are a very mixed group of people.

Quote:
People are often many things, why is that so hard to understand. And I'm sorry but from when I first saw the thread being from N. America, I thought black and black only. African American.
African American is a cultural or ethnic term, not a racial term. Black Cubans (my mom for example) are not African American, but they are certainly black. You know the rest. And African Americans, not just those who have one "black" parent and one "white" parent, are a very mixed group. Many "non-biracial" African Americans have less African ancestry than Keys or Berry.
Quote:

. Apparently (smh) I was wrong since some people from other countries and continents fell the need to tell me that in many countries (which I personally find hard to believe) basically call everyone black. Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Philippino's, Brazillians,
The point is not that everyone in Cuba, PR, Brazil, etc., are black. The point is that many people in these countries are, just as there are many who fit this description in America. On that level there is no difference; all of the above countries have many descendants of slaves.

Quote:
he ll I'm Italian and tan very dark so I suspect I would be considered black...
Are you of African ancestry? If so, you're black (partially, etc.). If not, you're not. Pretty simple.

Quote:
There are so many beautiful (and I'll speak strictly N. American term of black) black women in this country that we don't have to pick women who are half white. I think her point is valid. And I can see her point of view. It's like saying that someone isn't beautiful unless they have some other ethnicity in them...Which is so wrong. Black women are just as beautiful as any other race..
But your invocation of the "N. American term of black" is irrelevant here. Anyone who knows anything about black people knows that, as I have said, American black women span the spectrum of color and admixture from near-white to damn near pure African. And ALL types are beautiful.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Halle said her mom always told her she was a black woman whose mom happened to be white. Same with A. Keys. The mirror tells them they are beautiful. That's how it has been for eons in America; if you are of African descent, no matter what place that African descent is from, you are black. But when speaking about African American people, there is no such thing as "just black." AAs are a very mixed group of people.

African American is a cultural or ethnic term, not a racial term. Black Cubans (my mom for example) are not African American, but they are certainly black. You know the rest. And African Americans, not just those who have one "black" parent and one "white" parent, are a very mixed group. Many "non-biracial" African Americans have less African ancestry than Keys or Berry.

The point is not that everyone in Cuba, PR, Brazil, etc., are black. The point is that many people in these countries are, just as there are many who fit this description in America. On that level there is no difference; all of the above countries have many descendants of slaves.

Are you of African ancestry? If so, you're black (partially, etc.). If not, you're not. Pretty simple.

But your invocation of the "N. American term of black" is irrelevant here. Anyone who knows anything about black people knows that, as I have said, American black women span the spectrum of color and admixture from near-white to damn near pure African. And ALL types are beautiful.

All I'll say is that you contradict yourself for your own points. No I'm not of African Ancestry and neither are Brazillians, Phillipino's, Cuban's etc. So you just killed your own argument. But I'm used to that on C-D. Some people just like to argue without ever really seeing their own point.

And from your first point that I highlighted, starting with, "The point is that...."

My answer to that is no-kidding. That was my point. But some wanted to argue with me every fact. There are black people in every country in every continent. I think most everyone knows that. But some people were arguing with me earlier how all of these races are considered black when clearly they are not. Where I grew up if you called a puerto Rican black no matter how dark they were or weren't you most likely would have been shot. Puerto Ricans and black people did not like each other too much. I would have loved for some of these people who love to argue for the sake of arguing to tell them that.

End of subject, now getting back to the thread at hand and I think that I have already posted this.

Most of the hottest black girls you will ever see will be from the street, not on t.v. There are very few black people in movies and t.v. It is not fair, but at this point in time that's true. Hopefully time will change that. So we are stuck with the same ones.

And by the way, who cares what Halles mom says?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM

35 posts, read 104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I don't know...When I (white male) think of Alicia Keys, Halle Berry and other apparently biracial women, I honestly also perceive them as "black" and not as "biracial". And this really absolutely has nothing to do with any racial prejudice or anything on my side. I simply never realized this was an issue, to be honest.
Ok, suppose a person started a topic entitled, 'Most Beautiful White American Ladies of all time,' and only included the following women and others that are mixed, biracial or Hispanic:

Halle Berry
Paula Patton
Salma Hyak
Jennifer Lopez
Alicia Keyes, et al

I'm sure your first thought would be, these are all beautiful women, but I don't understand why they included these women under the White umbrella. Why didn't the person simply call it "Beautiful Women of Color' or just 'Beautiful Women.' Why did they specifically choose to call it 'Beautiful White Women' when none of the above women are white?

In my view, replacing black women with biracial women, in popular forms of entertainment sends the message that BW (generally speaking) are unattractive, unless they closely resemble biracial/mixed women. Biracial/mixed women are not usually selected to replace White, Asian, Indian, Arab or any other racial and/or ethnic group, so one has to ask, why are they routinely used to replace BW?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,484 times
Quote:
Halle said her mom always told her she was a black woman whose mom happened to be white.
You know, that's what makes me snicker about these purists who won't call anyone who is mix-raced black. Someone who looks black is going to be treated like a black person. People don't go up to you and say, "Wait -- let me run a quick DNA test in order to determine how you should be assessed." I used to kid my bi-racial husband about calling himself black, but he rightly pointed out to me everyone he meets sees a black man. No one quizzes him on his parentage. "Oh, you're half white? All right then, I no longer think of you as black." Sure mix-raced people aren't technically black, but many of them certainly look like they are, so if we're judging on physical appearance alone (and really, what else is race?) it's not so far-fetched that we would include biracial women who look black as black.

Quote:
We've already established that pansy doesn't know sh*t from shinola. He's apparently never seen a slave trade map showing the same exact route beginning West Africa leading to the United States and to Latin America, meaning, of course, not that everyone in Brazil etc is black () but that there are black people in Brazil. He says he's "learned" something, but apparently not.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
All I'll say is that you contradict yourself for your own points. No I'm not of African Ancestry and neither are Brazillians, Phillipino's, Cuban's etc. So you just killed your own argument.
Not all Brazilians or Cubans are, but MANY are just like many Americans are. Obviously not all Americans are of African descent, but there is a sizeable amount who ARE. Jesus Christ, you are thick.

Please attempt to get a clue. These people didn't mysteriously disappear. They're still there and are just as black (i.e. of African descent) as the people brought to the US.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:

There are so many beautiful (and I'll speak strictly N. American term of black) black women in this country that we don't have to pick women who are half white or any other mix. I think her point is valid. And I can see her point of view. It's like saying that someone isn't beautiful unless they have some other ethnicity in them...Which is so wrong. Black women are just as beautiful as any other race..
Yes, you completely nailed my overall point.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Anyone who knows anything about black people knows that, as I have said, American black women span the spectrum of color and admixture from near-white to damn near pure African. And ALL types are beautiful.
Ok, to use your words, American black women span the spectrum of color and admixture. Surely this is true, but I find it problematic that dark black women are often excluded and replaced by biracial women. -But, why is it that biracial men are not used to replace black American males, since black males also span the spectrum of color and admixture from 'near white to damn near pure African?'

Old 09-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Black women have in no way been excluded or replaced in this thread. They were mentioned in the same vein as bi-racial women. Should only dark skinned women count? I find it refreshing that black women of all skin colors were represented in the opinions here.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:40 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
All I'll say is that you contradict yourself for your own points. No I'm not of African Ancestry and neither are Brazillians, Phillipino's, Cuban's etc.
No contradiction whatsoever. You are making no sense in your arguments, and you are absolutely refusing to understand the realities of history. I don't know what your ancestry is, so if you say you are not of African ancestry, you are not of African ancestry. Big deal.

But Cubans and Brazilians, at least a majority of them, ARE of African ancestry. That is an unassailable biological and historical fact. I never made a similar assertion about Filipinos, though they DO have indigenous people in their county who are obviously black.

Quote:
So you just killed your own argument. But I'm used to that on C-D. Some people just like to argue without ever really seeing their own point.
You aren't making any point yourself. You are being very unclear here.

Quote:

And from your first point that I highlighted, starting with, "The point is that...."

My answer to that is no-kidding. That was my point. But some wanted to argue with me every fact. There are black people in every country in every continent.
You just said PRs, Cubans, Brazilians, etc., were NOT black.

Quote:

I think most everyone knows that. But some people were arguing with me earlier how all of these races are considered black when clearly they are not. Where I grew up if you called a puerto Rican black no matter how dark they were or weren't you most likely would have been shot.
[/quote]

Well, that makes no sense, considering that Puerto Ricans from places like
Carolina and Loiza Aldea are quite African and are quite proud of it. Ever seen Roberto Clemente?
Quote:

. Puerto Ricans and black people did not like each other too much. I would have loved for some of these people who love to argue for the sake of arguing to tell them that.
Again....makes no sense.

Quote:
End of subject, now getting back to the thread at hand and I think that I have already posted this.

Most of the hottest black girls you will ever see will be from the street, not on t.v. There are very few black people in movies and t.v. It is not fair, but at this point in time that's true. Hopefully time will change that. So we are stuck with the same ones.
Nobody is stuck with anything. Black women of all stripes are beautiful. This is no revelation.

Quote:

And by the way, who cares what Halles mom says?
Halle, for one..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities