Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,252 times

Advertisements

I'm missing the whole 'I saw so-and-so..." celebrity spotting thing.

Is it anything like bird watching but with people who've become well known?

I was a bird watcher when I was a kid but I never felt special for seeing any particular bird or envious if someone else had and I hadn't. Should I? Help me to understand so I can join the celebrity spotting crowd.

I've been to a lot of concerts and seen celebrity musicians on-stage. Does that count in the celebrity spotting scheme of things? Or does it only count if I see them while doing normal everyday things like the normal everyday people they are? It seems celebrity spotters focus on spotting in typical public places, is that what counts?

Is there a pecking order to celebrity spotting prestige? If I speak to them is that above spotting them? Is it even better if they speak back to me? What if we touch?

Does it only count if I see them after they've become celebrities? What if I knew them 'before'? Does it count less if they're no longer at the peak of celebrity?

I really need to know the degrees of celebrity spotting prestige, so I can focus on the more prestigious celebrity spotting and downplay the less pretigious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I'm missing the whole 'I saw so-and-so..." celebrity spotting thing.

Is it anything like bird watching but with people who've become well known?

I was a bird watcher when I was a kid but I never felt special for seeing any particular bird or envious if someone else had and I hadn't. Should I? Help me to understand so I can join the celebrity spotting crowd.

I've been to a lot of concerts and seen celebrity musicians on-stage. Does that count in the celebrity spotting scheme of things? Or does it only count if I see them while doing normal everyday things like the normal everyday people they are? It seems celebrity spotters focus on spotting in typical public places, is that what counts?

Is there a pecking order to celebrity spotting prestige? If I speak to them is that above spotting them? Is it even better if they speak back to me? What if we touch?

Does it only count if I see them after they've become celebrities? What if I knew them 'before'? Does it count less if they're no longer at the peak of celebrity?

I really need to know the degrees of celebrity spotting prestige, so I can focus on the more prestigious celebrity spotting and downplay the less pretigious.
I think celebrity spotting is the element of suprise. That's what gets people excited.

Concerts are different. You go to a U2 concert and you expect to see Bono. It would be diofferent if you spotted him walking down the street. That's where the excitement comes in at.

I don't think there is a way to focus on celebrity spotting because if you look for it, it most likely won't happen.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Yes. Seeing a celebrity on stage counts. You will accrue even more bonus points, however, once they die. For example I can boast that I saw Elvis. I get bonus points because I saw Elvis when he was thin. However points are detracted because I did not get a sweaty, DNA-filled scarf.

Points also mount up if you saw a musician celebrity on stage before he was famous. For example I saw The Who when they were fourth on the bill and no one cared about them. I also get bonus points for knowing Kevin Costner when he was just a guy at the keggers.

There are sub-categories for speaking to a celebrity. If you just say, "Hello!" that is only half a point. If you say something like, "Excuse me but you're stepping on my foot" it's two points. "A little to the left" gets you a gold star.

If they speak back to you the love behind the words count. If they say "Buzz off, butt whipe" you get no points. However if they say, "Will you pass me the Splendora?" you get to tell all your friends.

If you are close enough to them to get into the shot on TMZ you get extra points. If the announcer guy on TMZ says something like "And get a load of the whack-job standing next to Angelina" you get 10 points. If you are arrested in the melee on Hollywood Blvd. because Brad took a swipe at you for saying, "Nice jugs, Angelina" and all of your friends come to your defense and you are the lead story on Channel 7 at 11pm you go into the Hall of Fame.

I hope this makes things clearer for you.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. Seeing a celebrity on stage counts. You will accrue even more bonus points, however, once they die. For example I can boast that I saw Elvis. I get bonus points because I saw Elvis when he was thin. However points are detracted because I did not get a sweaty, DNA-filled scarf.

Points also mount up if you saw a musician celebrity on stage before he was famous. For example I saw The Who when they were fourth on the bill and no one cared about them. I also get bonus points for knowing Kevin Costner when he was just a guy at the keggers.

There are sub-categories for speaking to a celebrity. If you just say, "Hello!" that is only half a point. If you say something like, "Excuse me but you're stepping on my foot" it's two points. "A little to the left" gets you a gold star.

If they speak back to you the love behind the words count. If they say "Buzz off, butt whipe" you get no points. However if they say, "Will you pass me the Splendora?" you get to tell all your friends.

If you are close enough to them to get into the shot on TMZ you get extra points. If the announcer guy on TMZ says something like "And get a load of the whack-job standing next to Angelina" you get 10 points. If you are arrested in the melee on Hollywood Blvd. because Brad took a swipe at you for saying, "Nice jugs, Angelina" and all of your friends come to your defense and you are the lead story on Channel 7 at 11pm you go into the Hall of Fame.

I hope this makes things clearer for you.
This really helps. If you ever put together some sort of celebrity spotting point system for a whole bunch of categories and situations on a blog or something it would help all of us clueless, wannabe celebrity spotters.

Natalie Merchant was my first crush when we were in 4th grade together. I saw her perform with 10,000 Maniacs at a local bar before they were famous and again signing albums at the local mall when In My Tribe was released. So I'm guessing I get quite a few points just with her.

Do I get any points for marrying the daughter of the man from whom a teenage Eddie Murphy swiped a sandwhich off his factory lunch-delivery truck?

What about exchangin, "Hi's" to Billy Joel in Oyster Bay? Do I get extra points because it was in a place mentioned in one of his songs?

A former girlfriend and I shared a limo ride with the Peruvian ambassador to the United Nations, his wife, and son, sat at their table during dinner...probably not so many points, huh?

I had pizza with Red Buttons and some roadies...any pts. there?

What about sharing a cab with Mary McDonnell after an alumni dinner?

You think I have any cred. among the celebrity spotting crowd?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
You think I have any cred. among the celebrity spotting crowd?
Dude. We meet Tuesday nights at 6:30. Bring beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities