Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times

Advertisements

Boxing legend joe Frazier is in a hospice in the final stage of liver cancer, Which was discovered 4 or 5 weeks previous. Sad..Hope his transition out of this life is made as painless as possible.

Boxing Legend Joe Frazier Near Death | Ology (http://ology.com/sports/boxing-legend-joe-frazier-near-death - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Very sad...and he was only diagnosed 4-6 weeks ago and already in Hospice...I hope he won't suffer too much

Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Damn!

Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
I too hope his crossing over is painless. He's a gentleman and a Champ!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I was shocked when I first heard this. I had been wondering where Joe Frazier was. I had not seen any news of him. He was in Las Vegas in September for the Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight I understand, and it's likely that this was his last public fight appearance.

Now I'm curious about Frazier's life and why this problem was not caught early. What caused this disease? Wasn't he getting regular checkups? Was a liver transplant ever an option or was the disease not discovered in time? Just incredible that he would find out 4-5 weeks ago that this disease was in its advanced stages. Was Joe ignoring the symptoms that problems existed, for years?

I always wondered what was the psychological damage that Frazier sustained after being annihilated by Foreman in their first fight. It must shatter a man as proud as Frazier to get beaten down in that manner. He then lost two fights to Ali, a man who he had beaten, a victory that gave him his proudest moment. He couldn't finish the 3rd fight with Ali. In his second fight against Foreman, he attempted to show Foreman a different style, one that was not characteristic of how Joe was accustomed to fighting. It was more of a Roy Jones way of fighting, emphasizing safety-first, with a lot of movement to avoid punches. I really thought it made Frazier look like a clown, and he again got slammed down by Foreman. He embarrassed himself in that fight and I'm sure that every time he watched himself in that fight, he had to feel a great sense of disgust.

Then there was the ridicule and taunts by Ali, calling him "gorilla", "flat-nosed", "illiterate", "dumb", saying he was "ugly", and an "Uncle Tom." Ali called him "ignorant" on many occasions. Can't imagine the inner rage and frustration Frazier felt because of this, feelings and emotions that he grappled with for many years after his fight career had ended. This was compounded by the effect this ridicule and name-calling had on his family. The name-calling and ridicule of his opponents was the one aspect of Muhammad Ali that I came to despise as I grew older, and I wondered how this impacted Joe Frazier. Apparently, he would go on to drink heavily in his later years.

The full story hasn't been written on Smokin' Joe. He does need a miracle now. Very tragic. Sad, sad news.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
he died.

May you now R.I.P. Joe The Champ Frazier!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Rip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities