Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Exactly!! Everyone should treat themselves with something that just plain ol' tastes great! That's what she cooks!

But you don't eat this stuff everyday!!

Use common sense!
Common sense in america? Moderation? Two words that clearly left the vernacular and minds of americans years ago. If people would use some control I woudn't be such a harsh critic... I woudn't never be a fan.

So why enable stupid people? Or people who lack self control? Being that can't control themselved some mouth breathing congressman is going to try to regulate it. It might be wise to quit drinking the type 2 diabetes kool-aid that Paula Dean has touted before we are told we can't eat a type of food totally.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Default I ate at a Chinese Restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Anthony Bourdain calls Paula Deen 'the worst, most dangerous person to America' - NYPOST.com

Anthony Bourdain vs. Paula Deen: A Recap

The thing is I like all things grilled, meats in just about all froms. I love good food. That Paula touts does not fit that criteria.
in Queens that Bourdain recommended. Remind me to NEVER go to a place he recommends. It grossed me out. Duck hearts and BLOOD? Pork intestines? Do you have anything with just VEGGIES? I figured what could they do with just vegetables? My choice was only ONE thing on that menu.

As far as Bourdain and Deen, you can keep BOTH of them.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 AM

105 posts, read 188,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
So you are picking a nit over a small spelling gaff? So, I make a spelling error once in a while…

We are living in a country were people over indulge and are not active. I take great issue with someone who actively promotes that sort of bad eating habits that plague our nation. The caveat of her to use moderation does not absolve her of what she is touting on her show. As clearly stated before, there is a clear difference between good food prepared well and the deep fried crap she claims is good food.

Even good southern food isn’t as vile as the stuff she presents.

To make this clear, there is a big difference between cancer and type 2 diabetes. Some cancers you can mitigate with lifestyle choices.

Type 2 diabetes can be more preventable with healthy diet and activity. It isn’t a 100% surefire prevention. However, healthy diets and activities may help prevent this disease.

The New England Journal of Medicine found that overweight and obese were the single two largest factors in predicting who would develop type 2 diabetes.
http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/preventing-type-2-diabetes

I was making a point to you. You are dowright venomous over a woman you don't even know. You blame her that she is sick, you blame her for her accent. You even go after her two sons insinuating they are gay. One is maried with a child and the other recently became engaged.

You have placed blame for the entire Nation's obesity on one person. How narrow minded and ridiculous is that? There are plenty of shows out there touting how to take a recipe and "lighten" it up. Paula's boys often do that on their Mother's program. I enjoy a cooking show with recipes that remind me of the good old Southern cooking I grew up on. It reminds me of slow summer days in the kitchen with my Granny. And, no I am not fat, nor do I suffer from any food related diseases.

The government has taken enough of our rights. If I want a double cheeseburger and a can of COKE to wash it down, it is no one's business but my own. I don't need the food nazi's sticking their noses in my busiess.

Paula Deen has an audience of millions. Her cookbooks are some of the best selling in this Nation. Her seminars and cooking classes are sold out. She is the American success story. There's another old Souhernism.....If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.LouieGal View Post
I was making a point to you. You are dowright venomous over a woman you don't even know. You blame her that she is sick, you blame her for her accent. You even go after her two sons insinuating they are gay. One is maried with a child and the other recently became engaged.

You have placed blame for the entire Nation's obesity on one person. How narrow minded and ridiculous is that? There are plenty of shows out there touting how to take a recipe and "lighten" it up. Paula's boys often do that on their Mother's program. I enjoy a cooking show with recipes that remind me of the good old Southern cooking I grew up on. It reminds me of slow summer days in the kitchen with my Granny. And, no I am not fat, nor do I suffer from any food related diseases.

The government has taken enough of our rights. If I want a double cheeseburger and a can of COKE to wash it down, it is no one's business but my own. I don't need the food nazi's sticking their noses in my busiess.

Paula Deen has an audience of millions. Her cookbooks are some of the best selling in this Nation. Her seminars and cooking classes are sold out. She is the American success story. There's another old Souhernism.....If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You mean you're telling me that burgers topped with bacon, a fried egg, and donuts instead of hamburger buns isn't healthy?

Mmmm... Donut bacon burger.
That's horribly disgusting.

If she continues to promote her horribly fattening foods in this condition, then that would be an awful message to be sending to viewers.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
She is not the only one..Rachel Ray promotes that unhealthy crap as well.
Wait , is that donut burger for real or is it manipulated..Please tell me it isnt.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:54 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Wife and I are in our early-to-mid 60's. I was diagnosed Type II in 2008 and wife as "borderline" Type II the same time. I was immediately put on 500 mg of Metformin 2x daily, but she takes nothing. We have changed our diet, somewhat. We no longer use sugar at all. Something we never use to do, but darn sure DO now.......look at the nutrictional facts on the back of boxes/packages of food. We also test our blood glucose count often.

As far as Paula goes, watched her talking with Al Roker this AM on the Today Show. Her statement "no big deal" about being a Diabetic II was sort of shocking to us. She talked about eating in "moderation" and that that is what she does, WELL apparently that "moderation" eating was done to much by her!! Like some other repliers, we were shocked at home much sugar and butter she uses. But, then again, "Buddy" in the show, Cake Boss, looks like he uses a lot of sugar, butter, etc in his making of cakes and pasteries. It appears that Emeril is the only one who cooks descently! Will Paula change her way of cooking? Since everyone knows that she is a Type II now, will she chuck an entire stick of butter or pour a full cup of sugar into a making something anymore.......we will see.

From being in both the emergency medical field (EMT) and Senior Healthcare........many people in society KNOW they are diabetic and plainly don't care, others don't know and don't want to know!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
A true story, now:
We had a neighbor in NC who was diagosed diabetic and was one of those people who didn't want to hear it! His wife told him that she would no longer make cookies, cake or pies for the holidays or any other time. He was in his mid 60's. Anyway, he worked part-time for his son in construction. He would stop on his way home from work and buy a bag or box of cookies and eat most of them in his truck while sitting in the parking lot outside his apartment. His wife didn't know for months that he was doing this. Right before we moved away, we found out that he had to go into the hospital a few times and eventually died.

We can be VERY serious about the things we eat and try to get as much exercise as possible.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
One thing that I keep hearing from detractors and defenders alike is that, now that she has revealed her condition, that she "might have to stop cooking those types of dishes". Why should she? I thought it would be common sense (oops, there's that pesky concept again) that you watch these shows to get ideas, to widen your culinary vocabulary, so to speak, and to be given information on how to prepare things you would not otherwise know about. No one says "You watched this show--now you MUST prepare all the dishes and eat every bite, regardless of whether you like them or not." No, you watch them and weight the options: "Oh, that looks too difficult to prepare," or "Oh, that looks like a great new twist on the same old chicken recipe." Or, and this is hard for some people to understand, "That looks delicious, but I have to watch my family's intake of sodium/cholesterol/refined sugar/etc." In other words, the TV chef presents recipes and preparation advice, but it is THE VIEWERS' RESPONSIBILITY to weigh the plusses and minuses of actually preparing and eating the recipes. No one (certainly not PD) has said you should eat those types of dishes every day--in fact, if you watch a lot of her shows, she will often suggest the appropriate times to prepare/serve such a dish, like a holiday, a Sunday Brunch, a family event.

PD made her name by filling a niche that was not being well-served on Food Network at that time--a cook (not a "chef") who didn't turn her nose up at canned products as recipe ingredients, who said when dried herbs were just as good as fresh, who used ingredients whose names you recognized that you could find in a "normal" supermarket. Celebrity status did change her presentation style, to be sure, but she didn't stray too far from the style of cooking that made her famous. That type of cooking is her niche in the marketplace, so telling her she "can't" cook that way because of her health status is kind of like telling Wolfgang Puck he can't cook rich sauces because he's fat, or Rachel Ray can't serve chocolate dishes because the caffeine makes her jittery and intolerably annoying.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
There's no need to change her recipes since her son Bobby is already doing his own take on them:

Not My Mama's Meals : Bobby Deen : Cooking Channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities