Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
She's had a string of number one hits lately. She's not loosing popularity at all, she's at the top of her game. The only females more successful right now are probably Adele and Katy Perry.

The We Found Love video is supposed to be a cautionary tale. She leaves him at the end of the video. Speculation is it is based on her relationship with Chris Brown.

That said, I am sick of the extremely sexual thing she's got going on right now. I find it ridiculous. Her songs just boil down to "do you have a big penis? Do me now! Harder! Faster!" At least We Found Love was something of a departure. That song I like.
I agree. But I think one of the best factor in her singing about sexuality is that most of the artist on her label Def Jam are R&B and male rappers. I think in some ways the label may pressure her to become a little more out there. We know that sex sells. Being that most of the artists on the label are huge superstars because of their entertainment abilities. Those entertainment abilities include being "out there". I like some of her music. But I censor most of it for my 10 year old who loves Rihanna. She wanted to go to her concert with me when she was on tour with Kanye. I just knew it won't be for a 10 year old. But she did go to see Katy Perry which was tastefully done.

Artists | Artists | Island Def Jam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
i think she is absolutely gross to look at.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i think she is absolutely gross to look at.
You are in the minority but lately I have to agree. She was so much prettier when Umbrella came out. She did a classy video with Ne-yo where she looked stunning. Now she can be a hot mess. At least she doesn't have that red hair anymore.

Rihanna - Hate That I Love You ft. Ne-Yo - YouTube

Old 01-31-2012, 04:03 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,542,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Anyone pushing boundaries or being different always catches interest because most people are going through life adhering to some norm and celebrities who aren't allow them to live vicariously. They provide a release fantasy.
The disturbing thing is how far out there you have to be now to push a boundary. Where is this headed? "I love the way it hurts" is just an awful thing but an example of where its going. The more people there are the more it seems like we are becoming desensitized lizard brain animals with no emphathy, only in the moment gratification.
Every great civilization decays from the inside....

Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,739 times
rihanna said it herself , she don't want to be your kids. she 23 and having fun

Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
I find her to be much less of a bad influence than someone like Miley Cyrus, whose underwear pics leaked onto the net at age 16, and who turned into a crazy party animal as soon as she hit 18. Or Lindsay Lohan, who was wholesome enough until she turned 18 or so.

Rihanna really isn't bad at all, come to think of it.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Rihanna's always looked like a trashy ***** in a lot of her music videos and to be honest, I don't really think she's all that great of a singer anyway when her music's autotuned.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:31 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,167 times
Rhianna is not PAID to be a role model for kids, she's PAID to sell music. Period. Like it or not, sex sells. Noticed how Brittany Spears became all sexed up by the time her second album came out? She didn't appear all that innocent did she? Katy Perry is also racy and sexual, she is also very popular. Same deal with Nikki Minaj. Kelly Clarkson isn't so sexual, she's down to earth, does concerts in jeans and a shirt, she gets bagged on by the media. I disagree with it, I like the way she's built and the fact she's down to earth, I'm proving a point that Hollywood likes the bad girls. It's not gonna change either. Music industry execs know that teenagers buy most of the "pop" music so of course their gonna market it towardsthem. Try marketing a group like Motorhead, Pearl Jam, or ACDC towards todays teens and I guarantee they won't go over as well. As for the parents who don't like it, it's YOUR job to decide what your child can or can't listen to. I can remember being 14 and my mom snapping my "Doggystyle" cd in half after she heard it

Old 02-20-2012, 03:35 PM

75 posts, read 195,788 times
I don't consider her an artist. To me she's a performer. The difference (to me) is that an artist is a writer, a musician, someone who does origianal music and has original ideas. A performer is someone who has the talent to take someone else's ideas and, well, perform them.

Also, did anyone else notice that she was acting somewhat odd at the Grammys? Several times the camera panned to her in the audience and it appeared that she was either talking to herself or possibly singing? One time she had her hands held up to the sides of her face and looked like she was pretty zoned out.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,250 times
never new her as a good girl......seems she has always be controversal......her personal life and work life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities