Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrep View Post
Madonna didn't sound good at the half-time show. Her recording sounded good. Well, I guess it did if you like her music. She herself WASN'T singing.

I somewhat agree with the person who said to bring the marching bands back. Add some dancers and/or steppers to boot. They could hold competitions and let the winners entertain at half-time. Save some bucks on celebrity pay and maybe sell seats at a decent price.
There is plenty of Drum Corps in the midwest area - that would be much more entertaining to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,653 times
The Who? I certainly know who they are but I was never a fan. It's a serious stretch to say they invented anything just because they were popular in the 60s.

Tom Petty is an entertainer, but not one of any serious noteworthiness.

Springsteen? See above.

Prince? Ditto.

As far as halftime shows go, The Madonna show was as good as any and better than most I have seen... and I am no fan of Madonna.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmr1ml View Post
yeah! if we are going to gripe about someone it should be that jerk MIA

Yep-I agree....

Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,628,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
The Who? I certainly know who they are but I was never a fan. It's a serious stretch to say they invented anything just because they were popular in the 60s.
And throughout the 70s.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
But maybe emulate is not the right word. I didn't mean there were a bunch of middle-aged women voguing to the halftime show while wearing Grecian leather skirts and stillettos. But I do think there are a lot of women who respect (better word?) her for her independence, talent, longevity, business acumen, and level of fitness at 53. i would say that most of my girlfriends my age (all educated, professional women) respect Madonna in that way.
I hope they didn't see Truth or Dare and still respect her. She laughed at one of her crew getting anally raped.

She hasn't been relevant to me since Like a Virgin. I hated all the vogueing, Sex book, bad movies, etc. There are much better females in music to respect. And there are better business women to respect. A woman (or anyone) who sells their body and soul and blatantly uses and abuses people to make money and get attention just isn't a good role model, regardless of how rich they became off of it.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I hope they didn't see Truth or Dare and still respect her. She laughed at one of her crew getting anally raped.

She hasn't been relevant to me since Like a Virgin. I hated all the vogueing, Sex book, bad movies, etc. There are much better females in music to respect. And there are better business women to respect. A woman (or anyone) who sells their body and soul and blatantly uses and abuses people to make money and get attention just isn't a good role model, regardless of how rich they became off of it.
No, I did not see that movie so I cannot comment on your allegations. If it is true, it is disgusting and it would affect my opinion of her.

I have no idea who she used and abused or how she sold her body and soul. I don't know the facts about her personal life, and I don't base my opinions on gossip or well-crafted media hype. I never had a problem with her videos, nudity, etc. I viewed them as art and sensationalism.

I do respect a person who is such a great marketer and can run a successful business for the length of time she has. I respect that she has musical/dance talent. I respect that she is in such great shape for her age. I did not say she was my role model or I endorse everything she does. But she is (and always has been) a symbol of something that sells, whether or not one agrees with what she is selling.

As I said, she had a social impact in the late 80's/early 90's when I was a teenager. She represented female empowerment/rebellion to many girls at the time. I have not paid attention to her since, but I don't regret dancing to her music when I was 15 years old. That sought-after Superbowl market segment of women remember her from that time period - and she draws them in during halftime for the advertisers and that is "the point of Madonna at the Superbowl."

Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Um, The Who performed in 2010. I was like WTF is The Who? At least people know Madonna. Everyone knows Madonna. It's like had he lived longer, in 2040 MJ could be the halftime performer and people, every single person would know who he was and could sing along either perfectly or good enough to his music.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers? Good God. Really? No kid born after 1990 really knows/remembers who he/they are.

Bruce Springsteen was pointless a few years ago too. So was Paul McCarthy.

Prince hasn't been relevant since Purple Rain and that symbol "name" yet he performed.

Madonna's still more relevant than those two. She keeps making music.

Am I the ONLY one who thought she was singing live? It wasn't very good vocally. I'd heard her sing live and she's always off pitch and that halftime show was off pitch like. If you're going to lip sync, don't most do like Britney and lip to the actual CD recording?

You know, the ones that sound tip top perfect?

It was off. Flat and sharp all over so I say it was live.

I liked Madonna. Cee-Lo was okay but Nicki Minaj and MIA shouldn't have been there.

I wouldn't have know who those party rock guys were at all if they weren't on Rockin NYE last month.

Lord help us, next year it'll Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert since they world is all up those two's a$$es this year and a host of other country fried singers. I can't remember the last country performer so that has to be coming up. It'll look like the Texas Rodeo.
Sorry to break it to you, but you're wrong on all you statements about other artists. Given that you don't know The Who and think that anyone born later than the 90s cannot relate to Tom Petty shows how out of touch you are with music.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Springsteen? See above.

Prince? Ditto.

As far as halftime shows go, The Madonna show was as good as any and better than most I have seen... and I am no fan of Madonna.
Your opinions are of the minority. Especially about Bruce Springsteen which is still selling out shows worldwide and still producing hits.

Madonna looked great for her age and she has an amazing amount of energy. But her lip-synced performance was horrible -- even though her music is good. It's a shame because I would have really enjoyed it if she put on a good show.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
Quote:

Springsteen? See above.

Prince? Ditto.

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Your opinions are of the minority. Especially about Bruce Springsteen which is still selling out shows worldwide and still producing hits.

Madonna looked great for her age and she has an amazing amount of energy. But her lip-synced performance was horrible -- even though her music is good. It's a shame because I would have really enjoyed it if she put on a good show.
So what? And? What is with you guys breathing down the necks of people who have opinions contrary to yours? Disagree but don't say someone is WRONG because YOU find it wrong. How you all make it away from the computer in social interactions is mystery.

Chill out "men"
Should say boys since I'm sure you're 15 years older + than how you're sounding.

What happened to adults saying "I disagree" and then explaining why and living a let living? Snarky comments like these are so childish. I'm sure I'm a tad to a lot younger than you all but you sound like the 11-14 year old boys who can't stand that they're fellow girl classmates pay more attention to Bieber than them.

I'm convinced 90% of the comments here are guys because guys on boards always seem to have the most a-holish comment replies.

Sheesh.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
So what? And? What is with you guys breathing down the necks of people who have opinions contrary to yours? Disagree but don't say someone is WRONG because YOU find it wrong. How you all make it away from the computer in social interactions is mystery.

Chill out "men"
Should say boys since I'm sure you're 15 years older + than how you're sounding.

What happened to adults saying "I disagree" and then explaining why and living a let living? Snarky comments like these are so childish. I'm sure I'm a tad to a lot younger than you all but you sound like the 11-14 year old boys who can't stand that they're fellow girl classmates pay more attention to Bieber than them.

I'm convinced 90% of the comments here are guys because guys on boards always seem to have the most a-holish comment replies.

Sheesh.
My point was exactly what you bolded. Those opinions are of the minority. I never said the term "wrong". I just commented about those opinions and then presented my own. In which you decided to attack.

What's the deal with this age thing? There's people of all different ages on here. I'm sure some are older than you while others are younger than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities