Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 06:53 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Another thing I thought was nice was when Clive Davis addressed Bobbi Kristina and told her that he'd lost both his parents as a teenager, too, but that he felt his mother has always been with him.
I thought his remarks were substantial. I hope that Bobbi Kristina heard those words. It's something that might help her in the years to come.

I also loved Kevin Costner's remarks about how vulnerable Whitney seemed. So unaware of the height of her success. Like a little girl, she still questioned whether she was good enough. Brings tears to my eyes that someone so talented could feel this way. But so many fabulous artists have felt just that. Fame can be devastating for some.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Lindo View Post
Whitney went home in style. My people showed the world how we celebrate and send our loved ones home.
I said to my dog this morning (yes, i talk to my dog), "now that's how ya do church!"
Thank you to Whitney's mom for sharing the service and for showing the world what a church service with Spirit looks and (more importantly) feels like.
Like someone else said i just turned it on to have a look and then stayed with it until the end.
I was really moved by R. Kelly's, "I Look To You" ... lots of heart / truth there.
btw, i think that CNN is re-airing the service tonight or maybe just parts of it. not sure.

R. Kelly Whitney Houston Funeral - "I Look To you" - YouTube

Last edited by jaijai; 02-18-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default Rip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I thought his remarks were substantial. I hope that Bobbi Kristina heard those words. It's something that might help her in the years to come.

I also loved Kevin Costner's remarks about how vulnerable Whitney seemed. So unaware of the height of her success. Like a little girl, she still questioned whether she was good enough. Brings tears to my eyes that someone so talented could feel this way. But so many fabulous artists have felt just that. Fame can be devastating for some.
However, I am sorry...I just can't think of a single thing Whitney Houston did for anyone other than herself to warrant flags being flown at half mast. We didn't even have this sort of spectacle when Elizabeth Taylor passed. It all seems just a bit too ghetto to me. Just my personal thoughts...
Koale

Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Her public funeral is news to me as I thought it was private, so am catching recaps

After catching some of the 20/20 special last night I was reminded she had a magnetic personality and is an icon of her time. She was very raw and her answering inquisitive questions when she didn't have to is a testament to her real character and it's very sad she went out like this but I'm sure she's in peace. I commend her family - they seem very accepting and loving. She was a lovely woman and a breath of fresh air.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:05 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I said to my dog this morning (yes, i talk to my dog), "now that's how ya do church!"
Thank you to Whitney's mom for sharing the service and for showing the world what a church service with Spirit looks and (more importantly) feels like.
Like someone else said i just turned it on to have a look and then stayed with it until the end.
I was really moved by R. Kelly's, "I Look To You" ... lots of heart / truth there.
btw, i think that CNN is re-airing the service tonight.

R. Kelly Whitney Houston Funeral - "I Look To you" - YouTube
R. Kelly had me crying like a baby. OMG, he tore it up in there today.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
However, I am sorry...I just can't think of a single thing Whitney Houston did for anyone other than herself to warrant flags being flown at half mast. We didn't even have this sort of spectacle when Elizabeth Taylor passed. It all seems just a bit too ghetto to me. Just my personal thoughts...
Koale
You are entitled to your opinion, of course. However, what you are calling "ghetto" is actually the manner in which many African Americans celebrate the life and the homegoing of loved ones back into the arms of God. It is a cultural expression. To call this "ghetto" would be as disrespectful as me saying that the funerals of White people are pathetic because they never have more than 6 or 7 people who just quietly stand around and look at a casket in a cemetery.

The mere fact that so many have been touched by the outpouring and expression of love for Whitney should be enough to silence your doubts about how many have been affected by her life.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Koale
Eh, we already have a whole long thread going on about that on the NJ forum. I didn't see it, either, because I always thought lowering the flag was for soldiers and public servants, but then people pointed out that NJ has lowered the flag for Frank Sinatra, and most recently, Clarence Clemons, among other famous New Jerseyans who died. Don't think they lowered it last month for the guy who played Juan Epstein on Kotter, though. He was from Metuchen, NJ.

But...you AREN'T calling NJ a ghetto, now are you?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Lindo View Post
R. Kelly had me crying like a baby. OMG, he tore it up in there today.
Me too.
That's what really got me flowing.
I wanted to go up there and wrap my arms around him.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, of course. However, what you are calling "ghetto" is actually the manner in which many African Americans celebrate the life and the homegoing of loved ones back into the arms of God. It is a cultural expression. To call this "ghetto" would be as disrespectful as me saying that the funerals of White people are pathetic because they never have more than 6 or 7 people who just quietly stand around and look at a casket in a cemetery.

The mere fact that so many have been touched by the outpouring and expression of love for Whitney should be enough to silence your doubts about how many have been affected by her life.
Hahaha, that sounds like a funeral scene from a TV show. And then they always read the 23rd Psalm and that's it. I hope you really don't believe that this is how white people hold their funerals.

There was nothing ghetto about that service today. It was moving and inspirational.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Koale
How is it ghetto? Explain this to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities