Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullslim View Post
According to the PBS documentary African American Lives Don has 19% European DNA. He has this amount of Euro DNA, but he was picked to play a role in Hotel Rwanda, because they think he looks heavily African.

Think Don Cheadle can past for a native African or did he look out of place compared to the Africans he was casted along in Hotel Rwanda?

If Don really does have 19% European DNA, do you notice any Euro features on his face?

With 19% of Euro DNA you have to have some very visible Euro features/traits.
The genes that code for the way you look are different from your ancestral dna you don't need to have a certain percentage of european family members for your physical appearance (phenotype) to express more typical european features. There could be a red haired person in his background and the genes that express Red Hair are recessive and not dominant like brown or black hair color, he'll still carry that red haired gene, it may not be expressed until many generations in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The genes that code for the way you look are different from your ancestral dna you don't need to have a certain percentage of european family members for your physical appearance (phenotype) to express more typical european features. There could be a red haired person in his background and the genes that express Red Hair are recessive and not dominant like brown or black hair color, he'll still carry that red haired gene, it may not be expressed until many generations in the future.
Though Don is quite African in appearance, his mother shows obvious European admixture.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There are a lot of dumb threads on C-D but this has to be up there.
Really.

This is supposed to be some kind of news?

When Emmett Smith was featured on Who Do You Think You Are his tests results also said 18% or 19% European and the woman said that was normal. Some places where the people have been more isolated, like the Gullah islands, have less, like 5%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Lives

With the help of geneticists, Henry Louis Gates, Jr. put African American ancestry in these terms:
  • 58 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one great-grandparent);
  • 19.6 percent of African Americans have at least 25 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one grandparent);
  • 1 percent of African Americans have at least 50 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one parent); and
  • 5 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent Native American ancestry (equivalent to one great-grandparent).
Yeah, I know Wikipedia isn't exactly the holy writ, but this info seems to be similar to other things I've read.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Huh? Any American-born "black" person who dates any ancestry back to the slavery days is going to be mixed-race....snipped... As a country, we still seem unable or unwilling to at least acknowledge what happened back then (and I don't mean attribute anything current to it, or restitution, or any such- just admit what happened, including the systemic rapes of enslaved women).snipped....
I do not believe that and I have read extensively on the subject and not just anecdotal, that EVERY black woman slave was ravaged and produced white children. What a crock and I don't care who you quote.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
this is a odd thread an makes very little if any sense.THere is no EURO look. there are several Eruo Countries and many have black roots . Maybe he has Latin, French or Italian in him those three have a lot of black in their blood the euro countries near Africa like Sisiley hav a lot of dark skin people
LOL. which ones ? Dark skinned maybe but not necessarily "Negro" blood (at the risk of being non PC).

Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There are a lot of dumb threads on C-D but this has to be up there.
and some of the responses are even more unfounded.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
According to the PBS documentary African American Lives Don has 19% European DNA. He has this amount of Euro DNA, but he was picked to play a role in Hotel Rwanda, because they think he looks heavily African.

Think Don Cheadle can past for a native African or did he look out of place compared to the Africans he was casted along in Hotel Rwanda?

If Don really does have 19% European DNA, do you notice any Euro features on his face?

He looks like he just got off the boat.

Genetics is a weird thing. You can never be really sure what you will come out with when you mix two races. The perfect example of this is Victoria Rowell's daughter Maya. Maya has 25% black DNA. She is on the far right in the photo below which was her mother's wedding. As you can see, she has no distinguishable black features at all.

Here is a photo of Eartha Kitt with her daughter (the blonde one), who was also 25% black.

Ergo, even with 19% white DNA, Mr. Cheadle shows no distinguishable "european" features.

20yrsinbranson

Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What? Who even cares? He is a stunning actor and that is all I need to know...

No doubt by now, most all of us have some degree or percentage of a different race on board ...
Not I. Pure white on both sides of my family for multi-generations. Maybe forever. That is a dying breed in this country...maybe the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
He looks like he just got off the boat.

Genetics is a weird thing. You can never be really sure what you will come out with when you mix two races. The perfect example of this is Victoria Rowell's daughter Maya. Maya has 25% black DNA. She is on the far right in the photo below which was her mother's wedding. As you can see, she has no distinguishable black features at all.

Here is a photo of Eartha Kitt with her daughter (the blonde one), who was also 25% black.

Ergo, even with 19% white DNA, Mr. Cheadle shows no distinguishable "european" features.

20yrsinbranson
I "assume" that is Ms. Kitt's granddaughter also in the pic. No obvious Negroid in her either. DNA is a very strange creature.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Not I. Pure white on both sides of my family for multi-generations. Maybe forever. That is a dying breed in this country...maybe the world.
Same here, tamiznluv. Actually, in my opinion, it does a disservice to both races to mix them. To me, a pure black race is as important to the cultural heritage of that demographic as a pure white race is to mine; likewise all cultural identities i.e. SE Asian, Polynesian, Hispanic, Indian, etc.

We share an unpopular and un-politically correct point of view, I believe.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:

19%? Not 20%? Who and who they come up with this insanely precise calculation? Was he the product of an orgy involving 4 skinny black man and a white midget woman?

Anyhow, I think he looks African enough. Heck, with proper costume and enough make up, I believe they could make Tiger Woods look African too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities