Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
What's interesting is that the show only dropped from first place in April 2012. Ann Curry was blamed for it, but she was already co-anchor for 10 months and the show was still #1 until that week in April. That was the same month Lauer signed his new $35M/yr contract and supposedly he insisted that A.C. be removed.

Obviously the ratings issue was an excuse used. It happened to be perfectly timed to them wanting A.C. out and having a reason for it. Wonder what they would have done had the ratings stayed at #1?
I always wondered why Ann Curry was not made co-host when Katie Couric left the show. Why did they bring in an outsider Meredith Vieira at that time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Bryant Gumble turned me off of the Today show,i never went back,Now i just watch local news for top story,weather and sports. Mainstream media has just become too much about politics and little else.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Guys, Ann Curry is not gone from NBC! She has a new contract, is being given a 7 person staff, and will cover any national or international story she wants. Those stories will air on any number of NBC news shows. She is not going to ABC, she is not going to appear on GMA. She is still an NBC employee.

That said, the way NBC handled her transition was terrible. Instead of sitting her down and telling her "this is not working, with you as co-host, let's figure out something else.." they kept it all from her while they tried to figure out how to get rid of her. Then the media leaks from someone at NBC. Just tacky.

As for why Natalie was passed over here's the info about that (note: might be a rumor, might not be):

Supposedly Natalie Morales and Matt Lauer had an affair of some duration starting at the 2006 Olympics in Italy. When news of this affair got back to Lauer's wife she filed for divorce. They worked through it, more or less, but rumor has it the affair continued. Some speculate that Natalie's youngest son was actually fathered by Lauer. Allegedly as this whole Ann Curry thing went down, Mrs. Lauer told her husband if he advocates for Natalie Morales to be the new co-host, she will divorce him, as that is more than she can take.
Yes the way NBC handled the transition was terrible. Remember Ann Curry was passed over for Meredith Vieira. So it is no surprise that Natalie Morales (who I don't think is/was the right person for the job) was passed over for Savannah Guthrie. I remember hearing that Matt Lauer might be getting divorced some time ago and then nothing came of it. This is first time I am hearing this as a possible reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities