Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times

Advertisements

I don't think Zoe is black...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't think Zoe is black...
She is an Afro-Latina.

She considers herself a Black woman:

“When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, “¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?” (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don’t understand it, and it’s the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, “Yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman.”) [They go,] “Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita.” (“Oh no, you are ‘dark skinned’”) I’m like, “No! Let’s get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman).”

Old 09-08-2012, 11:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I said there have been black man / white woman scenes. Di you not read my post?

My point is that those women are not A-List sweethearts in Hollywood. Raquel's thing was nothing like Monsters Ball, not back then......Annabella was stroked by Wesley. But see is D List at best.....

Cherliz Theron?? Jolie??? Would Jolie ever do a smack down like that with Edris Elba?? Hecky Naaaaw!!
There is a very real and very calculated explanation for this but I hesitate to venture into that territory because some folks will not like what needs to be said and others will blow it off. So I'm for now.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 AM

665 posts, read 628,226 times
In Hollywood, even less racially/ethnically represented on screen (romantically/sex scenes) are leading Asian males. For some reason it seems as though Hollywood (TV and Film) doesn't seem to view Asian males as desirable and sexy. Asian males only seem to be cast as action heros/fighters or doctors/scientists. They seem to be quite neutered and asexual in their roles. I don't think I've witnessed Hollywood depict Asian males as being romantic in any true capacity. If they are married or in a relationship, it seems to be with only Asian women; and even then, there are still no meaningful love/sex scenes. I want to see more leading Asian males in love scenes and romantic storylines with women of ALL colors.

The only movie I can think of that would come close would be the movie, "Romeo Must Die," starring the late singer Aaliyah (black) and actor Jet Li (Asian). All they had was a kissing scene. And even then, Jet Li still was cast as an action hero (stereotypical martial arts).

Asian women have been paired with white males on screen, but I can't think of any movie or TV show where an Asian woman was romantically and shown being intimate with a black or latino man. (Edited to add: I just remembered Grey's Anatomy's Sandra Oh and Isaiah Washington)

Bottom line: I want to see more Asians (male and female) in non-stereotypical leading roles and in romantic pairings with people of all colors! I would also like to see more non-stereotypical gay/lesbian romantic leading roles on TV and Film. I love diversity on my screen!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Bruce Lee

Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
It annoys me because white people continue to say things like they don't like black movies because they can't relate to black people....how many of them can relate to drowning on a ship? Running from a dark wizard? Sleeping your way thru NYC with your three girlfriends? Movies with white actors have genres; movies with black actors are "black movies"....and they see nothing wrong with saying that. And then in the same breath they say things like "BET is racist" well since you only want to see people that look like you on tv I guess we need our own channel don't we.

I see your point.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
She is an Afro-Latina.

She considers herself a Black woman:

“When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, “¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?” (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don’t understand it, and it’s the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, “Yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman.”) [They go,] “Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita.” (“Oh no, you are ‘dark skinned’”) I’m like, “No! Let’s get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman).”

Yep....a lot of slave ships stopped thru the islands on the way here.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
There is a very real and very calculated explanation for this but I hesitate to venture into that territory because some folks will not like what needs to be said and others will blow it off. So I'm for now.
Send me a private message on that....

Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I said there have been black man / white woman scenes. Di you not read my post?

My point is that those women are not A-List sweethearts in Hollywood. Raquel's thing was nothing like Monsters Ball, not back then......Annabella was stroked by Wesley. But see is D List at best.....

Cherliz Theron?? Jolie??? Would Jolie ever do a smack down like that with Edris Elba?? Hecky Naaaaw!!

Uh, Eva Mendes and Diane Lane are both far bigger stars than Zoe Saldana.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
No black actor (nor I) wants to be paired with her 'cause that sistah got no b00ty!!

....just saying.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 09-10-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities