Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
a few I've wondered about are:

Christian Slater
Dean Cain
Winona Ryder
Joe Pesci
Gaby Hoffmann
michelle pfeiffer
seems like she went down hill after the stealing thing..maybe they blackballed her
i love all her old movies though..all (most) her roles are kind of dark and clever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Amanda pays and Larry Minetti from "Magnum P.I." are 2 that come to mind.
Amanda Pays married Corbin Bernsen (of L.A. Law fame) in 1988 and they have 4 children. It seems that Amanda acts occasionally, but is now an interior designer:

Corbin Bernsen buys 75-year-old home with his wife Amanda Pays

home

I believe she also still hosts TV shows about interior design. She sounds like a busy woman!

On TV : Host Bios : Amanda Pays : Fine Living

As for Larry Manetti, here is his website:

Welcome to LarryManetti.com!

He's written books and owned restaurants.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I believe Wesley became famous in an era where he could only play certain roles. And honestly action stars don't typically have extremely long careers unless they keep making sequels and spin-offs. When's the last time you saw Jean Claude Van Damme in a movie? Or Chuck Norris?
About two weeks ago, in Expendables 2. JCVD and Chuck Norris were both in it. Also, JCVD has still been doing movies overseas for years. Another Universal Soldier is supposed to be coming out soon as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
About two weeks ago, in Expendables 2. JCVD and Chuck Norris were both in it. Also, JCVD has still been doing movies overseas for years. Another Universal Soldier is supposed to be coming out soon as well.
The problem with Wesley Snipes is that he got himself into tax trouble. He did bring this upon himself, but his sentencing was quite severe and probably unwarranted. Where he really hurt himself was his constant refusal to play ball with the IRS! That is a big mistake!

I have no doubt that he would still be working if he hadn't been so foolish -- although I have read that he is difficult to work with.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Christopher Atkins Blue Lagoon????

Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You basically just repeated what I said in my post. Both movies you just named are sequels. And Stallone said in an interview he specifically wrote certain characters with his action friends in mind because they weren't doing anything else (I'm paraphrasing). Wesley Snipes was actually supposed to be in the movie but maybe it was being shot around the time he got arrested. It's almost like how Adam Sandler keeps his gang of buddies employed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
The problem with Wesley Snipes is that he got himself into tax trouble. He did bring this upon himself, but his sentencing was quite severe and probably unwarranted. Where he really hurt himself was his constant refusal to play ball with the IRS! That is a big mistake!

I have no doubt that he would still be working if he hadn't been so foolish -- although I have read that he is difficult to work with.
I think Wesley was having problems well before his tax problems. I mean aside from Blade the majority of his recent films went straight to DVD until Brooklyn's Finest. I personally think his best acting was during Murder at 1600 and US Marshalls. I think Wesley's acting skills are better than the majority of the "action-film" stars (listening to Steve Segal is torture for me...it took me weeks to get through that movie with him & DMX) but I just don't think there were a lot of roles for him at the time he shot up.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
a few I've wondered about are:

Christian Slater
Dean Cain
Winona Ryder
Joe Pesci
Gaby Hoffmann
michelle pfeiffer
Other than Joe Pesci, the answer to most of these (and Keanu Reeves) is AGE.

They were known for a certain genre of films, and once they aged out of those films, they faded away.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Other than Joe Pesci, the answer to most of these (and Keanu Reeves) is AGE.

They were known for a certain genre of films, and once they aged out of those films, they faded away.
Joe Pesci is the oldest one on the list.
Christian Slater is far from old;which is why I wonder what happened to him.
Dean Cain-well he basically is a no talent so no surprise there.
Winona Ryder--IMHO was very talented and she's still quite young and didn't fit into any particular genre.
Gaby Hoffmann--is only 31 years old
michelle pfeiffer-still young and pretty and not known for a certain genre

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
It's not that they're old old, but most of them were teen actors. They grew up, and couldn't play those roles any more. Gaby Hoffman was a child actor.

Michelle Pfeiffer is not as young and pretty as she once was. Women cannot continue to play the ingenue roles for long (see Meg Ryan).

Christian Slater has made lots of b-list movies. He had a tv series a year or two ago that didn't do well.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Amanda Pays married Corbin Bernsen (of L.A. Law fame) in 1988 and they have 4 children. It seems that Amanda acts occasionally, but is now an interior designer:

Corbin Bernsen buys 75-year-old home with his wife Amanda Pays

home

I believe she also still hosts TV shows about interior design. She sounds like a busy woman!

On TV : Host Bios : Amanda Pays : Fine Living

As for Larry Manetti, here is his website:

Welcome to LarryManetti.com!

He's written books and owned restaurants.
Great post. Good to see they are still well. I was a huge "Magnum" fan when i was young.. Thought Thomas magnum was way cool, Living in paradise, driving a hot car and solving crimes and getting all the girls. Had a crush on Amanda also i must admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities