Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

I thought that her speech was aimed more at her show business friends in the audience as opposed to the public. She sounded like a bit of a martyr to me - like her fame and fortune were somehow put upon her.

Now (finally! - bring out the violins) she can spend the next 50 years living life as a normal person. Yah, a normal person with tons of money and name recognition along with all of the perks that come with it. Nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of her labor - just drop the poor pitiful me stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I personally think she was making fun of those that felt the need to call a press conference to "come out".

She's more than earned the right to say and do anything she wants within the industry.
If you watch it again, you'll see that they keep cutting to Mel Gibson and they to her sons.

I want the story on her Mom tho.

I think she's retiring from that part of show business and will be doing the behind the scenes things.

She is one of THE most talented people in the business and I wish her well.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I personally think she was making fun of those that felt the need to call a press conference to "come out".
Didn't the press "out" her? Honestly, I don't remember how the word got out not that it really matters.

But I seem to remember that she was unhappy about her kids finding out about it in a tabloid or something like that. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. But that might have been what she referring to with regards to the press respecting a celeb's privacy. And i suppose she was comparing her "outing" to what happened to Mel Gibson and having his private telephone conversations released to the public.

To a degree I totally understand what she was saying. I do think that celebs have a right to privacy in their own homes and the press has no business peaking over fences and into windows or tapping their phone lines or personal email. If celebs are acting like total azzes or doing anything else gossip worthy out in public that's something different..

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-15-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
I thought Jodie's speech was one of the best that I've heard. She was so much more laid back, easy going & funnier than I've seen her in the past. Looking forward to more of her work in the future.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Other than the touching comment about her mother the whole thing was absolutely bizarre.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
If only she came out before Hinkley shot at Reagan but then, his obsession would have gone toward someone else I presume.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
she's very intelligent. She knew exactly what she was saying and why. If I don't understand it--I wasn't supposed to. It did get a whole ot of people thinking though; didn't it?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
she's been given success in her industry and been able to make many times over what a typical american can ever hope to make.
Her success and her wealth was "given" to her by "typical Americans" who like her enough to pay to watch her movies. If she sucked she would be broke. I don't begrudge her anything, including her privacy and her right to choose her own friends.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Other than the touching comment about her mother the whole thing was absolutely bizarre.
I second the above^^^

The 'speech' was all over the place and disjointed.

This gal is supposed to have a high IQ. I did not see it used during this speech.

I agree with others who mentioned grandstanding.

She seemed to be giving the middle finger to most of her peers.

Did you see the expression on most of the faces--> when the camera panned the celebrity audience?!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post

She's more than earned the right to say and do anything she wants within the industry.
If you watch it again, you'll see that they keep cutting to Mel Gibson and they to her sons.

I want the story on her Mom tho.

I think she's retiring from that part of show business and will be doing the behind the scenes things.

She is one of THE most talented people in the business and I wish her well.
Regarding to her 'coming out' I think she was commenting about some peoples need to 'come out' when, it should be a non issue

she made reference to having fragrances, and reality tv shows ~ which was clearly a dig at people who are famous, for not much..... and that they want their personal lives plastered all over the media, but first and foremost she is an actress and that doesn't automatically mean she wants her personal life to be public property.

Well, thats how I interpreted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities