Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times

Advertisements

Who cares. There are banned substances for all athletic competitions. They're tested. If nothing shows up on the test, they're not using banned substances. Maybe he was ahead of the curve ... used something before it was banned. But what's illegal about that? Nothing.

I don't get the big deal, either. But then, maybe when we know more about it, I'll change my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Who cares. There are banned substances for all athletic competitions. They're tested. If nothing shows up on the test, they're not using banned substances. Maybe he was ahead of the curve ... used something before it was banned. But what's illegal about that? Nothing.

I don't get the big deal, either. But then, maybe when we know more about it, I'll change my opinion.
Uhhh, he was doping -- he used PEDs and then had ways to beat the tests.
Along the way, he bullied others on his team to either join him or to keep quiet all the while maintaining that his accomplishments were pure and unadulterated.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,372 times
I remember a few years ago I'd heard the case against Armstrong. Although I admired his achievements and didn't in my mind convict him, I shared my thoughts that the evidence was suspicious. I was slammed for it, just feeling that the case, as it stood with dubious associations and circumstances, was worth considering. So I'm not invested but feel a little vindicated that the over-defensiveness of Lance and his even casual fans shut down any conversation about the possibility of guilt. I care that the shielding for years was so deluded and pretty OTT.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,296,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He finally said he did dope.

I would have had more respect for him if he hadn't lied for so long and seemed so 'outraged.'
That's the part that bugs me.

Saying from the beginning, "Yeah, I doped. We all doped. That was wrong." Well...that would have still resulted in his medals being stripped, but he wouldn't have looked nearly as much of a dbag as he does now.

Exactly!

And every single time some idiot chooses to fake ability through using some substance-- and then deny it--it helps to make every legit winner a suspect.

Not good.

Crappy thing to do!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,403 times
What bugs me is this self-righteous indignation from some members of the media concerning the story. "How dare he lie to us!" seems to be the underlying sentiment--as if the media never lie to us, or at the least, twist facts to suit their own needs or the orders of their bosses. The feds and other legal entities can (should) be up in arms over his breaking rules and/or lying about his activities, but reporters? All this pearl-clutching among the media is so hypocritical, given the way they expend so much energy building up people just to tear them down.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,033 times
I'm not a fan but do admire him... I'm wondering if he'll get jail time like Marian Johnson? (Or whatever her name is.)

Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,036 times
Him beating cancer does not change the fact that he's an arrogant, nasty human being who viciously went after people who truthfully accused him of doping.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,418,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
That being said, why should he now be slammed in the media?
Here's a few good reasons:

Quote:
For years, Armstrong went after his critics ruthlessly during his reign as cycling champion. He scolded some in public and didn’t hesitate to punish outspoken riders during the race itself. He waged legal battles against still others in court.

At least one of his opponents, the London-based Sunday Times, has already filed a lawsuit to recover about $500,000 it paid him to settle a libel case, and Dallas-based SCA Promotions, which tried to deny Armstrong a promised bonus for a Tour de France win, has threatened to bring another lawsuit seeking to recover more than $7.5 million awarded by an arbitration panel.
Lance Armstrong Target of Lawsuits Following Doping Admission on Oprah « CBS DC

Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,343 times
His being alive after cancer means nothing, so many die, so many don't die. Why are cancer survivors seen as heroes? It's not the better human being who survives. So many act as if he should get a medal for not being dead. He's a nasty creep. It's all damage control, it's always been about saving his own butt. What he's doing now is stupid and cowardly, even if admitting it seems brave to some. I say it's not. Too little too late. He bullied others out of cowardice and helped ruin that sport even more.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
I think no one really cares what he has to say on Oprah - after this, does anyone believe anything coming from between his lips? I sure don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities