Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
oh you're really going to pull out the racist card? people probly don't pay attention to the African Americans because you just kinda expect them to have soul. Caucasians with soul are a rare breed so people are of course interested.
OR on the flip side, how many (mainstream) singers are actually African American these days? many of them are rappers, only some are R&B and a lot of the R&B are women.

OR maybe they don't like the African American style? maybe it is too much soul...I know this is the case for me. I'm a pop fanatic, I don't listen to much soul. this is why I like some of Usher's stuff..it feels more popish
Thank you for proving my point. Why does it matter what the color of one's skin is for someone to like the music??? It reminds me of when people talk about Mariah Carey when she first came out. "I love her because she was a white woman who sounded black!" Just horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM

142 posts, read 252,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Thank you for proving my point. Why does it matter what the color of one's skin is for someone to like the music??? It reminds me of when people talk about Mariah Carey when she first came out. "I love her because she was a white woman who sounded black!" Just horrible.

Wait, hold up.

You want to use the race card on Justin Timberlake of all people?!? First of all, if you want to moan and cry about the downfall of R&B as a genre, look no further to those R&B acts that deserted it for the greener pastures of POP (*cough*, Usher, *cough* Chris Brown). R&B is pretty much dead as a genre, and the blame for it's downfall should be levied at those urban singers who went POP, and sold R&B music out. When Trey Songz (who is a goof) is the only major R&B act left, you know that that genre is long gone and buried. I'm black, but we should be embarrased that Justin Timberlake along with Robin Thicke have put out better R&B sounding songs the last 5 years than any black R&B singer has in the last 10.

Justin Timberlake is just doing him. He's the only one out right now who will take a chance, and make music how he wants to. How come you're blasting Timberlake, but not blasting Usher, or Chris Brown for leaving R&B, and selling R&B down the river?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
Wait, hold up.

You want to use the race card on Justin Timberlake of all people?!? First of all, if you want to moan and cry about the downfall of R&B as a genre, look no further to those R&B acts that deserted it for the greener pastures of POP (*cough*, Usher, *cough* Chris Brown). R&B is pretty much dead as a genre, and the blame for it's downfall should be levied at those urban singers who went POP, and sold R&B music out. When Trey Songz (who is a goof) is the only major R&B act left, you know that that genre is long gone and buried. I'm black, but we should be embarrased that Justin Timberlake along with Robin Thicke have put out better R&B sounding songs the last 5 years than any black R&B singer has in the last 10.

Justin Timberlake is just doing him. He's the only one out right now who will take a chance, and make music how he wants to. How come you're blasting Timberlake, but not blasting Usher, or Chris Brown for leaving R&B, and selling R&B down the river?
Because this thread is about JT.

JT has been on my bad side ever since he threw my wife [Janet Jackson] under the bus.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,357 times
Quote:
Because this thread is about JT.

JT has been on my bad side ever since he threw my wife [Janet Jackson] under the bus.
what did he say about her though/do that made you so irritated? don't pay attention to JT much
and where did you hear/read about it?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times
Can people really not like a white artist without being called a racist these days?

I didn't like how JT handled the Super Bowl situation back then (shifting the blame on Janet) but he seems like a nice guy overall and he has a decent voice. Don't care for him or his music though.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Can people really not like a white artist without being called a racist these days?
I like jazz but prefer recent artists to jazz's golden era. I was once called a racist because prefer jazz from the last 30 years which is predominantly white vs. older jazz which was predominantly black.

Some people....

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I like Justin Timberlake as a person, don't get me wrong, like him in movies. But watching his grammy performance tonight I couldn't help but think what a really terrible singer he is. For the life of me I can't figure out why people like this dude's voice

But he must be doing something right because as I post this many thousands of people are at his concert in LA so more power to him.
I wasn't impressed with the Grammy performance either. JT needs to find a lane to ride in. As someone else said in this thread, the presence of Robin Thicke has taken away some of the hype that JT enjoyed a few years back as the "white boy who could sang".

I usually loved Timberlake/Timbaland combos but this one just didn't do it for me?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
what did he say about her though/do that made you so irritated? don't pay attention to JT much
and where did you hear/read about it?
What LindavG said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

I didn't like how JT handled the Super Bowl situation back then (shifting the blame on Janet) but he seems like a nice guy overall and he has a decent voice. Don't care for him or his music though.
I don't like him because he disrespects everything and everyone. He has no problem throwing people under the bus to get ahead. He threw Janet under the bus, Britney Spears and his old boy band. I never called anyone in this thread racist; it just annoys me when I hear someone say they love an artist because "they sound black, but they're white".

Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times
Quote:
I don't like him because he disrespects everything and everyone. He has no problem throwing people under the bus to get ahead. He threw Janet under the bus, Britney Spears and his old boy band. I never called anyone in this thread racist; it just annoys me when I hear someone say they love an artist because "they sound black, but they're white".
I don't think there is anything strange about noticing that someone is doing something not 'typical' for his/her race. It happens with all races, not just white people. Gabby Douglas, Barack Obama and Neil DeGrasse Tyson also receive special attention - if not praise - for venturing into fields that were previously 'reserved' for white people. It is natural to notice these things, it's not usually done with bad intentions.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,357 times
Quote:
What LindavG said.

yeah but as I said, where did you find out he blamed Janet? and I never saw him dissing Brit. I could understand that because I love Britney but I mean come on, Hollywood Life? puhleez
always take what you read with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities