Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,880 times

Advertisements

I like Justin Timberlake as a person, don't get me wrong, like him in movies. But watching his grammy performance tonight I couldn't help but think what a really terrible singer he is. For the life of me I can't figure out why people like this dude's voice

But he must be doing something right because as I post this many thousands of people are at his concert in LA so more power to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
totally agree with you.

actually most of the singers today have terrible voices. it mainly goes by their looks.
does anyone think for a second that if Beyonce was fat with a bad afro she would be where she is today, please.....

Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
I think he can sing better than most male pop singers. Dude has soul. I like him.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times
I like him too but not as a singer. In fact, there are very VERY few singers in the popular music scene that are worth a damn talent-wise. Why do you think there are so many ridiculous shenanigans happening on stage during performances? It distracts everyone from how bad these people really are at music. I saw about half the grammys last night and the only person who really nailed their performance from a technique standpoint was Bruno Mars. He has great pitch. Everyone else, EVERYONE, was missing notes left and right. I don't understand how most of these people can be considered professionals, so many of them are just plain awful.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
IIt distracts everyone from how bad these people really are at music. I saw about half the grammys last night and the only person who really nailed their performance from a technique standpoint was Bruno Mars. He has great pitch. Everyone else, EVERYONE, was missing notes left and right.
Um, when was this era where singers never ever dropped a note during a live performance? That has ALWAYS happened, some of that is just the nature of live singing. Unless you are talking about the big band/standards era.

And Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, etc dropped notes left and right? I missed that.

As far as Timberlake... he can sing. He's sung enough live that I can say that. But honestly I could pull up billboard charts from 30 years ago and there will be a whole lot of people on there that were not expert singers so people need to start acting like there hasn't always been a mix of entertaining personlities, pretty boys and cute girls, pure singers, and singer/songwriter quirky voice types in popular music.

Last edited by Tinawina; 02-11-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Um, when was this era where singers never ever dropped a note during a live performance? That has ALWAYS happened, some of that is just the nature of live singing. Unless you are talking about the big band/standards era.
Of course it's the nature of live performance, I certainly understand that. But there were so few quality performances that it's almost like the actual music is only a very small part of what they do. Dropping a couple notes here or there is one thing, but last night was a full on showcase for the magic of computers in studio recordings

Quote:
And Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, etc dropped notes left and right? I missed that.
Both of these women have excellent voices and a fairly good sense of pitch. However, at the beginning of that song where Carrie's dress was lighting up, she couldn't hear her guitar player so she was all over the place. I'm willing to blame that one on the engineers since I would agree that she's very talented.

I didn't see Kelly Clarkson's performance last night. The thing about American Idol winners is that many of them are quite experienced with live performances due to the nature of the show. They tend to be of higher caliber than many other stars.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Of course it's the nature of live performance, I certainly understand that. But there were so few quality performances that it's almost like the actual music is only a very small part of what they do. Dropping a couple notes here or there is one thing, but last night was a full on showcase for the magic of computers in studio recordings .
LOL! Well that was true for some people (hello, Frank Ocean!) but I do think people like say The Black Keys or Jack White or Mumford & Sons are more musicians than pure vocalists so I'm not expecting a perfect vocal. Plus a lot of people's mics seemed to be mixed really low, I felt like I could barely hear most of the people who were performing with a band. But maybe that was just me?

Quote:
Both of these women have excellent voices and a fairly good sense of pitch. However, at the beginning of that song where Carrie's dress was lighting up, she couldn't hear her guitar player so she was all over the place. I'm willing to blame that one on the engineers since I would agree that she's very talented.

I didn't see Kelly Clarkson's performance last night. The thing about American Idol winners is that many of them are quite experienced with live performances due to the nature of the show. They tend to be of higher caliber than many other stars.
You should YouTube Clarkson, she was great! I do agree American Idol people generally are fantastic live singers. I feel like besides ex-Idols, there are some really good singers in the mix today (Bruno, Adele & Miguel were some of the ones who were there last night) and those who are not great but passable tend to be excellent musicians and/or strong songwriters and/or great performers. I also feel like people such as Timberlake and Beyonce are pretty good singers but don't get a lot of credit for it because they are 1. very good looking and 2. tend to sing disposable pop songs (which is thier own doing).

I think Timberlake has always loved R&B and seems to be going for it hard this go around. He's doing this real throwback thing, it should be interesting to see how it turns out, especially since there already is a Robin Thicke who has been mining this territory for a while now.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,135 times
I do not like his new sound. Does not sound like himself.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I do not like his new sound. Does not sound like himself.
But...it is the sound that he is making, so by definition, it sounds like him.

I like the guy, and find myself listening to his entire songs when they come on. Underwood? If you like to listen to someone who thinks that blowing out her register is tuneful. Clarkson? She is fantastic.

I liked the mature presentation of Timberlake's set.

But nobody can touch Jack White.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,727,379 times
But watching his grammy performance tonight I couldn't help but think what a really terrible singer he is. For the life of me I can't figure out why people like this dude's voice.

For me his voice has a gravel-like quality that I think is sexy. And I don't care about his vocal range. BECAUSE:

Jason Timberlake in a classic tuxedo, bringing sexy back. Say no more. Jason's HOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities