Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times

Advertisements

There are certain actors/actresses that manage to "do no wrong," in my eyes. A few come to mind, but I'll start with two:

I normally don't like films involving adultery because it's a double standard to real life. (i.e. We might like having certain characters together, but we wouldn't necessarily encourage our own friends to leave their spouses/break up their families just because they're not satisfied with their lives.) However, when Colin Firth is in roles in which he is involved with a married woman or otherwise married himself ("Valmont," "Easy Virtue," and "The Secret Laughter of Women," for examples), it doesn't bother me as much as it normally would. In fact, he otherwise manages to convince me he's still a gentleman that happened to get involved in such circumstances.

I'm not typically fond of "Bad Boy" types. However Jude Law can play caddish tools (in "Alfie," "The Talented Mr. Ripley," and "Closer," for some examples); Sometimes he can even be smug about it, but without making me dislike him. Law has that cocky or confident grin, that gives me the impression he "can get away with anything—just because," and he probably could.

I'm convinced these actors could commit murder or rape and still convince me they're not as dangerous as they appear. (Yes, I'm that biased.) The only explanation I can come up with is simply that they're Colin Firth and Jude Law—i.e. that's just the way it is. Before you judge me, I'm certain there are actors/actresses that have that effect on you (and others) also. Who are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
I suppose Denzel Washington is the type of guy you just can't help but like, even in a film like Flight.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I second Colin Firth. He could play the Devil and I would still rationalise him as having a reason for being the "Prince of Darkness" !

And Michelle Williams can simply do no wrong for me as an actress and I would find it impossible to truly believe her evil....

Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
I'd second Denzel. He also has the ability to portray roles that are f a different race. i.e. Gray Grantham of "The Pelican Brief," which is based on a book. Gray Grantham wasn't necessarily Black, but because he's Denzel Washington... .

I'm surprised no one has mentioned George Clooney. He can still be a likable criminal in a movie like "Out of Sight."

Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM

12,284 posts, read 2,968,089 times
The media will sometimes build celebrities up then take great pleasure in tearing them down.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
The media will sometimes build celebrities up then take great pleasure in tearing them down.
Only when the celebrities allow the media to go after them. Most celebrities are smart enough to keep their private lives private by not making public displays of themselves. There are always going to be a few who booze, party and drug it up, get into fights in public and generally make displays of themselves, but those celebs have always been a minority.

Compare Kirsten Dunst and Lindsey Lohan. Same age, same long experiences as child actors. Dunst gets noticed by the press on occasion, but never in a scandalous manner.

The media is also pretty good at cheering on a celebrity who has acted responsibly when there is a personal crisis or something. Sandra Bullock wasn't attacked when she divorced Jesse James. She wasn't attacked when she married the guy, either.
Why? Because Sandra had lived responsibly as a celebrity, and continued to do so during her personal crisis.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
for me it would be Tom Hanks,Goldie Hawn and her long-time partner Kirk Russell,Diane Keaton

Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Tom Selleck
Denzel Washington
Don Cheadle
Meryl Streep
Susan Sarandon
Sandra Bullock
and
Wm Macy

Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
for me it would be Tom Hanks,Goldie Hawn and her long-time partner Kirk Russell,Diane Keaton

ooops,sorry---meant Kurt Russell

Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Denzel Washington
Don Cheadle
Sandra Bullock

Used to Reece Witherspoon as well but I can cross her off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities