Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times

Advertisements

Anyone notice recently these "All-American" heroes are played by British men—Christian Bale (Bruce Wayne/Batman), Henry Cavill (Clark Kent/Superman)? I'll give Andrew Garfield (Peter Parker/Spiderman) a pass because he's British and American. I'll also add that I think Bale's portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman was otherwise good. However, I'm biased in thinking Americans "should" play American heroes the same way James Bond "should" be portrayed by Brits ( And yes, I'm aware there were exceptions made for an Australian and an Irishman; though I also think their countries have more roots with Great Britain than the entire US in general). This is all too coincidental: is there a shortage of decent American actors for these roles? Does anyone else care about this at all?

Last edited by LexWest; 04-16-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Those are American Superheroes! I thought you meant like Daniel Day Lewis playing Lincoln! I am sure there was an American actor who could have done it.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 AM

958 posts, read 2,132,958 times
The HBO mini series Band of Brothers had a host of English actors along with American actors in key and leading roles portraying actual American heroes of WWII and they did a great job.
Damion Lewis (a British actor) who portrayed real life U.S. Army Major Richard Winters was excellent in the role.
Employing British actors did not upset the real American heroes so I can't be too upset myself.
As long as they're not trying to mock the character they are portraying I'm fine with it.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Anyone notice recently these "All-American" heroes are played by British men—Christian Bale (Bruce Wayne/Batman), Henry Cavill (Clark Kent/Superman)? <snip> However, I'm biased in thinking Americans "should" play American heroes the same way James Bond...<snip> This is all too coincidental: is there a shortage of decent American actors for these roles? Does anyone else care about this at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
The HBO mini series Band of Brothers had a host of English actors along with American actors in key and leading roles portraying actual American heroes of WWII and they did a great job.

Damion Lewis (a British actor) who portrayed real life U.S. Army Major Richard Winters was excellent in the role.

Employing British actors did not upset the real American heroes so I can't be too upset myself.
As long as they're not trying to mock the character they are portraying I'm fine with it.
For myself, no I don't care about it. These people are actors and actors act, regardless of their nationality, race, or ethnicity and so the entertainment industry will select the actors they deem suited for a particular role.

It is after all, only entertainment and I believe most will say they have been entertained.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times
It's been like that. There must be better training over there...

Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
I was going to mention Band of Brothers as well - Frank John Hughes as Sgt. Bill Guarnere was another Brit. Guarnere said Frank nailed the part.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:33 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Band of brothers was filmed in England so it only makes sense they would have English actors.
As far as British Actors goes, i dont know *shrug*

Old 04-17-2013, 03:09 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Those are American Superheroes! I thought you meant like Daniel Day Lewis playing Lincoln! I am sure there was an American actor who could have done it.
That's another point that also got me thinking of this. Gerard Butler played the main character in "Olympus Has Fallen." in It's not the end of the world, but it is amusing and ironic when the characters or people in question are otherwise iconic and Patriotic to American culture.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM

580 posts, read 964,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Anyone notice recently these "All-American" heroes are played by British men—Christian Bale (Bruce Wayne/Batman), Henry Cavill (Clark Kent/Superman)? I'll give Andrew Garfield (Peter Parker/Spiderman) a pass because he's British and American. I'll also add that I think Bale's portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman was otherwise good. However, I'm biased in thinking Americans "should" play American heroes the same way James Bond "should" be portrayed by Brits ( And yes, I'm aware there were exceptions made for an Australian and an Irishman; though I also think their countries have more roots with Great Britain than the entire US in general). This is all too coincidental: is there a shortage of decent American actors for these roles? Does anyone else care about this at all?
I don't think I have a problem with it. Wolverine was played by someone from Australia but so what?. I usually watch the animated versions of these heroes anyway.

What I find weird and kind of annoying is when they get British and sometimes Scottish actors to play characters that live nowhere near Britain. Like the guys who play the Spartans in the movie 300 or the Romans in many of the biblical movies. It's more of a historical accuracy type of thing for me though. They don't have to speak the language, I just wouldn't mind hearing a Greek or Italian (at the very least) accent coming from the people who live in that part of the world.

On a sort of related note, I wouldn't mind seeing Sean Connery portraying Earnest Hemmingway in his later years. He just looks like the guy.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
How about Americans playing British roles ? Johnny Depp, Gwynneth Paltrow,Angelina jolie, Renee Zellwegger, Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway,Kevin Costner etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities