Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Lee Daniels' The Butler doesn't hit theaters until October, but the drama about the long-serving head butler at the White House already is being targeted by conservatives because of Jane Fonda's role as Nancy Reagan.

So far, backlash to The Weinstein Co. release is fairly muted -- bloggers have disparaged the casting, and a Facebook page is promoting a boycott -- but chatter about the liberal activist has picked up recently.

Jane Fonda on Her Nancy Reagan Role: Critics Need to 'Get a Life'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
She's right. It's just a role, and roles are made for actors to be who they're not in real life, aren't they?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
She has a group of hard core haters that are going to hate her no matter how many times she apologizes, not matter what she does. She could morph in Mary mother of God and they'd still hate her. This goes for people on the left and right and even in family situations etc.
What do you do at that point?
Give them the finger, move on and ignore them.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
She has a group of hard core haters that are going to hate her no matter how many times she apologizes, not matter what she does. She could morph in Mary mother of God and they'd still hate her. This goes for people on the left and right and even in family situations etc.
What do you do at that point?
Give them the finger, move on and ignore them.
I was in agreement with you this statement. It seems you're no better than those you speak against.
I don't mean to start a fight it's just that if you are going to take the high road, it's best to stay on it.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
Giving them the finger and moving on is hardly (1) being a hard core hater, the finger is more of a dismissive shrug, quickly forgotten (2) moving on is something these hard core haters have never done since 1968 (3) ignoring is also something a hater can't do.

As for this alleged high road I'm taking????? I was just saying thats how I see it. You can agree or not agree. No need to lecture or make accusations.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 AM

958 posts, read 2,133,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Giving them the finger and moving on is hardly (1) being a hard core hater, the finger is more of a dismissive shrug, quickly forgotten (2) moving on is something these hard core haters have never done since 1968 (3) ignoring is also something a hater can't do.

As for this alleged high road I'm taking????? I was just saying thats how I see it. You can agree or not agree. No need to lecture or make accusations.
Your definition of giving someone the finger and moving on isn't necessarily everyone's. Flipping someone the bird is an insult promoting anger that can and has ended in physical altercations.

Jane Fonda angered a great many Vietnam veterans and others by her actions during the Vietnam war and understandably so. Decades later she met with a few Vietnam vets and apologized.
That apology was accepted by some but not all. I remember seeing what she did on tv. I have little respect for her but that doesn't make me a "hater."
My dad was in Vietnam in 1968 along with two of his brothers and they taught me a lesson on the subject of Jane Fonda. They don't hate her they just dismiss her with no hate or anger, there are better things to dwell upon.

I didn't lecture you or make accusations. Mine was a rather short post that evidently made you angry and for that I apologize.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM

12,326 posts, read 2,972,196 times
Jane Fonda is an ungrateful spoiled little tramp.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Good for her. She's a very good actress playing a role; it's what actresses do. I think she'll be great as Nancy Reagan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Jane Fonda is an ungrateful spoiled little tramp.
And this has what, exactly, to do with her acting ability?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 PM

12,326 posts, read 2,972,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good for her. She's a very good actress playing a role; it's what actresses do. I think she'll be great as Nancy Reagan.

And this has what, exactly, to do with her acting ability?
Don't be naive, Dear. Likeability and popularity are a factor in casting. Not acting skills alone.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 PM

111 posts, read 340,035 times
You don't have to share the beliefs of a character who you play in a movie. Otherwise, only mean people would be cast as the bad guys.

PegE: how would you feel if it was Anita Bryant playing her instead? And Jane Fonda is definitely more likable and popular than Anita Bryant, who only appeals to people who wish it was still the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities