Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times

Advertisements

Lawyer: Is there any possibility, in your mind, that you slipped and used the word “n----r”?

Is this lawyer losing his license? Being banned from court? Fined some kind of fee for using so-called racial slurs in court/deposition? If not, why not?

Stop being stupid, people. The more you make of it, the less sane people respect you.

Disclaimer: I've never watched her show and only know what I've heard about her via silly media or social outlets. I'm not related to her and am not jealous of her. She has profusely and tearfully apologized. Where's the tolerance the inept left seems to demand of everyone but themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
I knew immediately after hearing that report that Paula Deen was toast. There may be some last bastions of acceptable biases; hers wasn't among them. She could have simply said something along the lines of, "I yam what I yam." You know, like Montel Williams, Cher, Spike Lee, Samuel L. Jackson, Ellen Barkin......., all of whom remain darlings of the Hollywood scene despite their offensive croakings.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
I admired Ms. Deen's honesty during her testimony about using 'the word' in the past. I would not have believed her if she had denied ever using the word.

As for the Food Network: I feel like they finally felt that they could not renew her contract due to the accumulating baggage: many people are still upset that she was promoting food that is utterly unhealthy for a diabetic until she announced that she had developed Type II diabetes (3 years previously) and, behold! the same day of said announcement Ms. Deen also announced that she had been retained to represent a small diabetic drug company.

I do not blame the Food Network for striving to protect their brand. I am sure Ms. Deen will do alright for herself (probably go to Oprah's network or such).

Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
This is one of the most disgusting, ridiculous things I've ever seen!! Where's this friggin' thing called "free speech"!? I just read the story on the MSN home page and that's kind of enough for me. I've only watched her show a few times, but I know a few folks who are her true followers. They love that she seems so down to earth and "real". Hmmm...she's a REAL person? So?...they've decided to fire her, for being a "real" person?

Most of us, whom are her age, grew up hearing the "N" word. That's what our parents grew up calling "black" people. Ninety-nine percent of the time, there were NO feelings attached to the word. If you had REALLY black skin and you weren't and "Indian", well, you were a *N*. It didn't mean you were bad...or there was anything wrong with them. Truth be told, the *N* word stuck around for as long as it did, because it rolled/rolls off the tongue a lot easier than negro.

**I know some of you are saying those words** Hahaha..... See? Isn't the *N* word more fun to say than, "negro"? Now you know why so many of us have had such a hard time getting rid of that word....or sayings that used to accompany it. We grew up calling Brazil nuts what? If we were really worried about something or fearfully apprehensive about something, we heard, "I was sweatin' like a *N* at election time."! Frankly, I had NO idea what that even meant...it was just more fun to say than, "I was so nervous, I was sweatin'". LOL

It blows my mind to think that our society is so friggin' PC, that people would make such an issue over this. What it's really about is the almighty dollar and politics of the entertainment industry.

Last edited by beachmel; 06-22-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 08:24 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
She wasn't fired for this. She was fired for trying to use her black waitstaff as slaves for a plantation themed wedding she was catering.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
I don't believe the other Food Network personalities always speak in angelic tongues, particularly those from NYC. I also don't believe the woman suing Paula Deen can prove her claims, but she will certainly get a settlement.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As for the Food Network: I feel like they finally felt that they could not renew her contract due to the accumulating baggage: many people are still upset that she was promoting food that is utterly unhealthy for a diabetic until she announced that she had developed Type II diabetes (3 years previously) and, behold! the same day of said announcement Ms. Deen also announced that she had been retained to represent a small diabetic drug company.

True.

I also find it insulting that some people apparently think that others don't know what food is bad for them. Other Food Network personalities have prepared high-calorie, high-fat dishes.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:36 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
She wasn't fired for this. She was fired for trying to use her black waitstaff as slaves for a plantation themed wedding she was catering.
....and if she was? So? Good grief, there are television shows and plays, in which people "play" slaves. Some of them get paid to do so. If she were to choose to pay her waitstaff to act like "slaves", in order to pull off an "old fashioned" plantation wedding theme....big frickin' deal. She'd be paying them to ACT and serve food!

How about folks focus on the fact that the woman EMPLOYS those people, with a blind eye to skin color. How about folks focus on the fact that she's not so racist or mean, that she will ONLY hire white folks (cuz they're the only ones you can trust)! The backlash of this just shows how ignorant some people are.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
If she was such a racist this black woman would never have been hired to be manager in the first place.

It takes a lot more than word usage to make a person racist.

I am her age and also raised in the South. The word was used by our elders and not always in a derogatory way. I would sooner cut out my tongue than use a racial slur today but of course I used it in my youth just like Paula did. I doubt very much she has used it as an aware adult. She is being hung on the cross of political correctness and it is wrong. I'm not a fan, didn't like what she did about keeping her diabetes secret while she continued to promote unhealthy eating but she does not deserve to be fired for using a word in her youth.

Actors portray murderers and rapists and all sorts of other evil people and we know that doesn't make them that evil character. This woman is now an entertainer who's making oodles of money off her good ole southern girl persona. I see no difference. Do we hold Al Pacino as a representative of all criminal Italians ?
Why are some people holding Paula Dean as the Ultimate Representative of all things southern?

And how can black rappers and most blacks in general get away with using the N word with no repercussions but a 66 year old white woman is fired for doing it? makes me sick. I hope Food Network reconsiders.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
about time...she shouldn't have been on in the first place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities