Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times

Advertisements

Preach it, NK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
If she was such a racist this black woman would never have been hired to be manager in the first place.

Are you referring to yourself as a manager or the woman who filed the lawsuit? She is white.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
And read this article as well:

From the article:
Deen is also accused of sexual harassment, and was found in contempt of court for refusing to turn over a video in which she allegedly simulates a sex act on a chocolate eclair.

Read more: "N-word" user Paula Deen is an Obama supporter | The Daily Caller

wow. just wow.
Thats freakin hot, im jealous of the eclair...

Old 06-22-2013, 09:00 AM

633 posts, read 1,011,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Paula Deen was overseeing an international brand -that behavior doesn't fly.

Stuff You Might Have Missed In The Paula Deen Brouhaha : Code Switch : NPR
And HERE we have hit the nail on the HEAD! What education or training did Paula Deen have to oversee a national brand? Masters degree in marketing? Cultural sensitivity training? WHAT?

I would bet none of the above...

She should have let sleeping dogs lie, it was a long time ago - and ignored it and moved on. Obviously her PR people (if she had them) were doing a lousy job if they did not coach her on what to say & how to behave in public.

At the end of the day, who cares? She's made a ton of money and shared her love of butter with the world. Big deal.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:07 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The above post is the most ridiculous statement I have read on this site in some time and will not redeem it by copying and pasting.

I for one grew up in the south when the N word was bantered around by whites with little thought. My grandfather was a rural preacher who pushed for civil rights, worked with local black churches and schools and taught us to NEVER use that term. However, we were not the norm for a white family in the 60s in that area.

But MUCH has changed and for the better. Attitudes have changed. People have changed. Great change in my lifetime. Paula Deen is part of that great change. She is contrite and apologetic and not like she once was. The culture she is a part of is not like it once was.

This is PC run amok. If you weren't raised in the south (or many other areas of the country where race has been an issue to overcome) then you have no right to speak on this issue. None whatsoever.

I for one, will be boycotting the Food Network for this silly PC move even though it has been one of my favorite channels.
i agree, you know i used to feel bad for the aa community and how they get treated by white people sometimes..and then i made a mistake..i went to work at a place with mostly african americans. All i can say is oh my god. By the time it was all said an done, i was starting to turn racist towards blacks because of blacks. Im not even white and they would treat me(and the other white people) so bad and favor only other african americans and accuse us of racism when they didnt get their way. I mean damn, not all white people are bad, some stood up for african americans during the civil rights movement, but nope they seem to have forgotten that. That and the fact that abraham lincoln(a white guy) signed them out of slavery. Needless to say, im not there anymore, but african americans lost me as a sympathizer to their plight

Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are you referring to yourself as a manager or the woman who filed the lawsuit? She is white.
The times I have eaten in Lady and Sons (waaaaay before she was famous and on TV) the restaurant manager was black. I , apparently wrongly, assumed this was the same lady who brought the suit.
What most people don't realize is that Paula Dean and her restaurant were incredibly famous and sought after a long time before she was on TV. The lines at lunch snaked around the block every day and most local people knew to get there when the door opened after the tourist found out about it. She and her family have hired blacks and whites in the kitchen and dining room for decades, she's had black cooking friends appear on her shows with her since the beginning. I'm sure this "scandal" has torn her up as she is a very sensitive and emotional woman. I honestly feel bad for her.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:10 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
This is not a fee speech issue. No one is trying to change any laws. She's free to say whatever she wants. And people are free to react. The truth is, her speech is no longer popular or considered acceptable.

And it's not just about the word. It was the slaves at the wedding (I'm gonna throw me a holocaust party complete with skinny Jewish kids in gas masks since its just a job and all), the sexual jokes, the manager dating underage girls that she seemed to blame the girls for.... It was a hostle workplace lawsuit and the woman was just all kinds of inappropriate.

The days where you can just do and say whatever the hell you want and other people don't say anything are over. There are worse things in the world than no longer having the ability to be an ***hole as a public figure. The horror.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Is Gordon Ramsey on Food Network? His temper tantrums make for good TV but I swear he should have been fired long ago for acting like a spoiled brat. And what About Robert Irvine? He lied on his resume about cooking for the Queen of England and other outrageous lies but he was promoted!!!
The FW is a bunch of hypocrites if they fire a woman for this and not others for their outrageous transgressions.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Is Gordon Ramsey on Food Network? His temper tantrums make for good TV but I swear he should have been fired long ago for acting like a spoiled brat. And what About Robert Irvine? He lied on his resume about cooking for the Queen of England and other outrageous lies but he was promoted!!!
The FW is a bunch of hypocrites if they fire a woman for this and not others for their outrageous transgressions.
Gordon Ramsey is on Fox.

Robert Irvine was not going to lose money and/or damage their brand. It's a business and they don't care about your hurt feelings.

The types of things she engaged in are deeply unpopular and make her persona non grata for a mainsteam company. Thats the public sense of morality. Take it up with society.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 AM

560 posts, read 1,129,710 times
im black and i can care less. most black people dont care either. i guess it depends on whether a white person uses it demean you like she apparently did to one of her employees. i guess thats the point you all are missing. a southern white woman calling her black employee a N*****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities