Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM

584 posts, read 871,442 times

Advertisements

The food network was probably looking for a reason to get rid of her and they just used her using the N-word a thousand years ago as a reason. She grew up in a era where that word was the norm. Paula didn't have to apoligize if anything she should sue the network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Is "redneck" a racial slur.

I say it is, have you ever said it ?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From what i heard on the news this morning she wanted to organize a wedding in an old style southern antebellum atmosphere with pseudo slaves doing most of the serving..
Dumb idea Paula in these days of hyper political correctness, but that said we all occasionally do some dumb things in our lives,i think the level of retribution she's receiving for this dumb move is a bit over the top.No more tv show,no more books, no more endorsements, and probably the city of Savannah will shut down her restaurant.
No one is closing her restaurants and she won't lose her book deals. She might lose an endorsement or two, we will wait and see on that.

This chick will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Is "redneck" a racial slur.

I say it is, have you ever said it ?
For this to be the equivalent, I'd have to not only constantly use the word redneck around my employees, I'd have to then throw a trailer trash themed party where I hired them to black their teeth out while playing banjos and selling meth.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
No that was a different discussion. The slave thing was for her brothers wedding. It was her idea.
Not saying it is "okay," but it was a private wedding and don't a lot of weddings have themes? If the theme she wanted was a "traditional" southern wedding, and it was a private wedding, and the black servers involved had no problem with portraying slaves, then who cares? It's a theme; it is play-acting. I have gone to antebellum homes that have staff working there that are supposed to represent how things were in a bygone era. Are the people who agreed to work portraying those roles somehow being mistreated? I don't think so.

Equal-opp - I agree that Paula grew up in an era when saying that word was the norm and that she doesn't owe everyone an apology. It was 20 years ago. I think the person who brought the lawsuit is looking for MONEY. People will make a big deal out of anything if they think they can get rich without working for it. They see someone like Paula with lots of money and suddenly can think of all kinds of ways they've been "wronged."

Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The person filing the lawsuit against her is white, I thought . . . ?
The person filing the lawsuit doesn't have to be black, do they? The person filing the lawsuit is after MONEY, plain and simple.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,762 times
@Jambo: Savannah cannot -- no city can -- close down a restaurant unless it violates local health department rules, state liquor laws, or is a den of vice, drugs especially.

My Savannah relatives (I grew up there) believe that Deen's restaurant The Lady and Sons will survive. But "the Lady" herself is probably finished as a national spokesperson and media star. A public potty mouth and racial slurs are not acceptable in most professions except (male) sports and (male) pop music. Many male athletes and rap artists are treated with kid gloves. Prostitution, adultery, drugs, racial slurs, assault on other athletes, it's all pardoned here in the U.S. and other countries. It's a question of big-dollar contracts and mostly young male fans, so anything goes. But not for other media figures. For me, Deen is much more small-town southwestern Georgia (where she's originally from) than Savannah, Georgia. Her salty language and racial epithets are those of a not very well educated older woman from the rural South. And a plantation-themed party with "slave" servants? That is right out of the 1950s South, not the 21st century. I was taught in my Savannah family never to use racial slurs (I'm white), and most of my white Savannah neighbors in the 1960s and 1970s did the same with their kids. This is just not acceptable, and for Deen's sake I hope she can make a comeback. But she'll have to work slowly and very hard to regain people's respect in the food world. For now, she's done.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The city would have no legal right to close her restaurant because of what she has said.
You are probably right, just thought i'd throw in a bit of hyperbole to enhance the lynch mob mentality.
Are we getting any consensus from the black community on this issue? Being up here in Canada i am probably missing why this is such a big deal to white folks.
If i was black and living in the area and got offered a chance to make an extra few hundred bucks for acting like a slave for a few hours, i'd say wheres the slave costume?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Aren't you missing the point: you may not have liked her, I didn't either: well I did for a very short while, but a little of her goes a long way, but the point isn't, they cut her, it is how and why. For those of us much past 50, if we got cut, got stabbed in the back or anything else for things we did and said, 20 plus years ago, we would all have lost jobs, friends, whatever. This isn't justifying what she did or said, but it is still chicken, the Food Network used this excuse to dump her. What part of that is so hard for many to understand?
I don't know that they did it in any egregiously bad way; they simply declined to renew her contract. That may already have been under consideration, but bad publicity will kill any contract pretty quickly.

I personally would think that her exaggerated fake personality would have turned a lot of people off by now, anyway. Maybe her ratings were going down - have you seen them? I haven't. I just know that her face on my TV has been my cue to dive for the remote for a long time. YAAAWWWWL. lol

Old 06-22-2013, 10:34 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
The food network was probably looking for a reason to get rid of her and they just used her using the N-word a thousand years ago as a reason. She grew up in a era where that word was the norm. Paula didn't have to apoligize if anything she should sue the network.
Yes. As some previous posters point out, there IS black racism, both in employment and in the media and there have been lots of complaints from poor whites not getting government assistance.

Racism should be abhorred, no matter who is doing it against whom. It is ludicrous to try to take revenge against the innocent, just perpetuating hatred down the generations on each side. No matter where it occurs there should be a means to stop it.

I agree that Paula was beginning to look more and more like a liability to them. She, I suppose, had an image of being honest and good and these recent duplicities changed that image dramatically for enough of her audience that she just represented a big problem for them.

I, personally, suspect someone who is always 'nice'. Generally I have found out that most are just two faced self promoters, over time. She was just so syrup-py that my stomach churned the moment she opened her big mouth. I think I only saw her on the View, years back, and on Master Chef and she really turned me off. She just oozes untrustworthiness to me.

All these difficulties that she has caused for herself just back up my initial instincts.

Last edited by goldengrain; 06-22-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,549 times
Who cares, food network is joke nowadays anyway, and so is most of Paula Deen's food. Lady Brunch Burger???

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

A burger with bacon and a fried egg with Krispy Kreme donuts as the buns???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities