Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Why is insulting to ask and pay for black folks to portray slaves at a plantation party but not to ask for and pay actors to portray slaves in a movie like ????? Unchained, the big super hit recently. How can those actors be lauded and be given Oscars while an actor/server be insulted? Nobody made them do it-they were not really slaves. people dress up as Roman slaves for parties--is that racial insensitive? Should we not let our children dress as American Indians at Thanksgiving for school plays?

If the servers were forced to do something demeaning I could understand the outrage but geez...it's a paid gig they were probably happy to have.
Nope. Not the equivalent. Answer my previous questions.

Is it okay to hire Jewish people to wear gas masks for my holocaust themed party? All in good fun! Historical accuracy!

Can I have my Asian friends pour ketchup all over themselves and play dead Cambodians for my Pol Pot party?

If people get mad at me, or think less of me for doing it, have they violated my free speech?

If I get fired from my high profile, public position afterwards... does it make sense why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM

726 posts, read 1,228,882 times
I never cared for her personally, however after that last bit about her health concerns (diabetes) and she keeping this from the public and continuing to cook the MOST unhealthy food, I felt my earlier intuition's correct.

And for the record I don't think the "time" matters when she said this.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Why is insulting to ask and pay for black folks to portray slaves at a plantation party but not to ask for and pay actors to portray slaves in a movie like ????? Unchained, the big super hit recently. How can those actors be lauded and be given Oscars while an actor/server be insulted? Nobody made them do it-they were not really slaves. people dress up as Roman slaves for parties--is that racial insensitive? Should we not let our children dress as American Indians at Thanksgiving for school plays?

If the servers were forced to do something demeaning I could understand the outrage but geez...it's a paid gig they were probably happy to have.
Agreed.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:15 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Nope. Not the equivalent. Answer my previous questions.

Is it okay to hire Jewish people to wear gas masks for my holocaust themed party? All in good fun! Historical accuracy!

Can I have my Asian friends pour ketchup all over themselves and play dead Cambodians for my Pol Pot party?

If people get mad at me, or think less of me for doing it, have they violated my free speech?

If I get fired from my high profile, public position afterwards... does it make sense why?
You can have your party on your own time...and apparently you can be fired for it...

Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I grew up calling them that too, because that's what I heard my grampa call them.
My father and grandfather said the same thing. My mother and grandmother would scold them for it.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:25 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I will say this, and I think this is probably what Paula was referring to but may have stated badly, many fine eating establishments in the south employed negro (an acceptable term back then) waiters. They had a wonderful, quiet dignity about them, savored their jobs, were attentive and very proud of what they made into a real craft of service. People today could take a lesson. Many negro women became domestics (another term of yore) for white families and truly became an important member of the families they served......
Lol....the "quietly dignified negro waiters who savored their jobs" were slaves. They had no choice but to "savor" their jobs.

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
You can have your party on your own time...and apparently you can be fired for it...
Yes. If you have a public position where you are a representative for a mainstream brand, and you do something that can damage their brand, and cause mainstream outrage... you can be fired.

This is not a new phenomenon. Behold: other chefs fired by the Food Network!

I love how now its free speech and her right to say what she wants without consequense, but when it was, say, the Dixie Chicks masive amounts of people were not cutting them a bit of "free speech" slack. If they had to face backlash so does Ms. Deen. Such is the life of a public figure.

909 posts, read 1,062,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I mean damn, not all white people are bad, some stood up for african americans during the civil rights movement, but nope they seem to have forgotten that. That and the fact that abraham lincoln(a white guy) signed them out of slavery. Needless to say, im not there anymore, but african americans lost me as a sympathizer to their plight

Somebody might also drop a reminder that the NAACP was actually co-founded by a rabbi. (since rap has a history of ridiculous antisemitic lyrics)

Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
. Many blacks have become upper and middle class and that word and its associations in no way apply to them. .
But it does apply to the lower class and uneducated?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
The FN uses less than tactful practices to cut all their former chefs. Emeril was pretty much their first guy making it entertaining to watch his shows they axed him for young chefs. Mario Batali the same thing happened to him plus others. FN makes their money off them then cuts them lose seems to be their business practice. On the other hand they flood the market with their chefs where they are all over the place making appearances, hawking stuff that turns me off quick. Seems FN has 2 speeds full steam ahead & dumping.

I love Diners, Drive-ins & Dives but last night I tried watching some Guy makes me sick anymore same as Paula.
I agree; yes, I used to think Guy was the Guy, but I am up to my ears with him. I like the Sandwich King and Melissa's $10 meals. Even those are getting to be more repeats than anything. I will tell you one thing: I have bought a couple products from the FN and for the most part, they have been above average quality.

Emeraldmaiden: I think you are about right on: they simply didn't renew her contract, but I still think too much is being made out of what she said or did 2 or more decades ago. Believe me, I am not glad to see her go, maybe the timing could have been a little better. That is really my point I guess.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-22-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities