Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. Having come of age in the late 1970s, I can assure you that comments such as those would not have been well received in normal, middle class circles. Not a chance.
oh come on, if you came of age, as you put it, in the late 70s, you are probably early 50s now, like my kids. And if so, you would understand the word was used so much in the south (I don't know how much you know about the south) that is was so ingrained in the people, it would have been a natural thing. Nice, of course not, appropriate? of course not, but depending on where you live or lived, even in the 90s the word was still used and yes, it normal, middle class circles. don't misunderstand me, I am not condoning what she did or said, I am just trying to explain how hard it was, for many to break the habit. My husband still uses it, not often and of course not in public, I come totally unglued, but he was raised hearing the word. I was not, of course it was used, even in So Ca but my father and mother just didn't use it. well not often. I imagine partly because my father was a top executive for a very large city Dept and as we all know, many civil servants are minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
I dont understand why the obsession about Paula Dean from people who evidently hate her, its as easy as switching a channel and she`s out of your life.
As for Guy Fieri? whats not to like. colorful character going coast to coast exposing the viewing public to small Mom and pop hole in the wall eateries .
Did i miss the memo where it says everything and every one has to be hated?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I admit I haven't read through this entire, long thread.

But I thought Ms. Deen should have been canned when she continued promoting her seriously unhealthy cooking style, sugary products, etc. and didn't disclose that she had developed diabetes, at least partially due to her lifestyle and diet choices.

To me, that was the equivalent of adultery in a seller/customer relationship.
Actually she did take a new approach to cooking. What most of us were seeing on TV were re-runs. I have gotten to the place, whenever I watch GSN, FN, HGTV, or any similar network, I check the original showing date. I am amazed at how old many of these shows are.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:04 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,541,852 times
I agree with this article - in terms of what Paula should have done.

Don McNay: Why Did Paula Deen's Legal Team Let Her Testify?

I have never been a fan, so I generally don't care either way what happens to her. I do think the linked article's author seems to have a good perspective on how the people advising Paula should have handled this situation.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Had something to do with her using racial slurs.
I have never seen her on television and I don't know anything about her, but because of the "controversy" I read the deposition transcripts (they are available online), where she purportedly made racist comments. I did not see anything "racist" in her testimony. These people really need to get over themselves.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-22-2013, 12:45 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont understand why the obsession about Paula Dean from people who evidently hate her, its as easy as switching a channel and she`s out of your life.
As for Guy Fieri? whats not to like. colorful character going coast to coast exposing the viewing public to small Mom and pop hole in the wall eateries .
Did i miss the memo where it says everything and every one has to be hated?
No you missed the memo where it says we can each speak our o-p-i-n-i-o-n-s in a public forum on a subject that was made into a public thread. Ignorance like this is what causes sue happy problems in our society.

Nobody is saying they hated her/him/them so keep on assuming what you want when you read but clearly you are looking for conflict. Seems a lot of these types of posts in the last year on CD is taking over the adult conversations on subjects.

Watch back to back DD&D Guy says the same thing about every food no matter what part of the country he is in. He has gotten lazy in his "food critic" parts by just listing what ingredients he witnessed going into the dish. His grunt is old when he takes a bite, he needs an updated look, how does he get away with wearing flip flops in a food kitchen when that is against the health violation laws and that is my public opinion of Guy Fieri dig?

Paula has made more than enough money to support her and all her family for the rest of her life so she'll be OK no matter what the outcome of this is.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,334 times
just out of curiosity, for those of you who live in the South, when did it become improper for white folk to use "nig__" as a general term for blacks? (I don't mean as a cuss word or epithet)

Personally, having been raised in Los Angeles, I've never encountered anyone--even from my grandparent's generation--who's used the N-word colloquially, like how we say Black or African American today. The closest I can think of would be my grandparents who used to refer to their housekeeper Patti as that cleaning "girl", or even "Negro" or "colored" girl. otoh, they never called their long-time black mail carrier or black mechanic "boy", so looking back i'm not sure if the term "girl" was pejorative out of racism or sexism, or maybe both.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Lol....the "quietly dignified negro waiters who savored their jobs" were slaves. They had no choice but to "savor" their jobs.
Nice try. I experienced them in Washington DC and environs back in 1958-59. That's 19__, not 18. Pullman porters were employed following the Civil War and Emancipation Proclamation right up until the 1960s.

There! Now don't you feel foolish?

If Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh were still alive there are some who would likely try to sue them for Gone With the Wind.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The person filing the lawsuit doesn't have to be black, do they? The person filing the lawsuit is after MONEY, plain and simple.
I was replying to someone who said this was a racial issue about Deen calling a black employee the N word. I was asking for clarification b/c my understanding is this has nothing to do with Deen calling a black employee the N word . . . it stems from a lawsuit filed by a white employee, not a black employee. I don't think anyone is alleging that Deen called one of her managers the N word.

Of course they are after money.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:31 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I grew up calling them that too, because that's what I heard my grampa call them.
When my grandma said the N word, I called her on it and said she was wrong to do so. I was 10; she didn't listen to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities