Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Lol....the "quietly dignified negro waiters who savored their jobs" were slaves. They had no choice but to "savor" their jobs.

Yeah, what the heck did Martin Luther King, Jr. know, anyway.

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, 'Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.”

― Martin Luther King Jr.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
Not sure if anyone has already posted Deen describing her father killing himself from loosing the "workers" and life as they knew it on the plantation changing. She goes on to say that she has a friend that is black as the board. TMZ has it. Paula Deen -- Meet My Black Friend ... If You Can See Him! | TMZ.com

Not sure if I believe Deen to be racist to the extent of condoning the KKK. Ignorant and old South yes, full blown racisit not so sure. Can't believe she confessed and why she allowed there to even be a deposition, she should have settled the case like most celebs do out of court.

No one should be surprised that people think the way Paula does and or worse. This forum and comments by many posters prove the insensitivity that still exist. No one is saying that whites should be feel guilty for oppressions from the past but at least live in the current and be respectful. If people like Paula wouldn't say and do such stupid things then there would be no need for an apology.

At least I know where her recipes came from, the "help" of course.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,797 times
She is TOAST. No deeeelishus budder, no jayum, just toast. Finally.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:56 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,627 times
Finally, good riddance. Stopped watching years ago. So sick of that obnoxious laugh, feeding the dog while cooking, licking fingers and going back in, mixing food with her hands while still wearing her rings, exaggerated southern accent, all that clip on gray hair, bleh. She was exposed for what she is. Bye, bye, Paula.

Gotta feeling real chefs like Anthony Bourdain are quietly loving the implosion of Paula Deen.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:56 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,872 times
I am from the South, obviously, and I don't say the n word, have never said it, and don't hear it. It is a word that is not appropriate. Having said that, I don't believe Deen should be fired for admitting she made a mistake. Who hasn't made a mistake?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post

Not sure if I believe Deen to be racist to the extent of condoning the KKK. Ignorant and old South yes, full blown racisit not so sure. Can't believe she confessed and why she allowed there to even be a deposition, she should have settled the case like most celebs do out of court.

She didn't settle it out of court because the allegations were false. People sue just HOPING it will be settled before court; that way they get paid and don't have to actually go through with the trial. It should have been thrown out IMO. Obviously a money grubber who knew Paula Deen was worth a lot of money is hoping to get her hands on some of it.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I admired Ms. Deen's honesty during her testimony about using 'the word' in the past. I would not have believed her if she had denied ever using the word.

As for the Food Network: I feel like they finally felt that they could not renew her contract due to the accumulating baggage: many people are still upset that she was promoting food that is utterly unhealthy for a diabetic until she announced that she had developed Type II diabetes (3 years previously) and, behold! the same day of said announcement Ms. Deen also announced that she had been retained to represent a small diabetic drug company.

I do not blame the Food Network for striving to protect their brand. I am sure Ms. Deen will do alright for herself (probably go to Oprah's network or such).
What makes you think Oprah would hire her, especially considering the N word brouhaha?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
This is one of the most disgusting, ridiculous things I've ever seen!! Where's this friggin' thing called "free speech"!? I just read the story on the MSN home page and that's kind of enough for me. I've only watched her show a few times, but I know a few folks who are her true followers. They love that she seems so down to earth and "real". Hmmm...she's a REAL person? So?...they've decided to fire her, for being a "real" person?

Most of us, whom are her age, grew up hearing the "N" word. That's what our parents grew up calling "black" people. Ninety-nine percent of the time, there were NO feelings attached to the word. If you had REALLY black skin and you weren't and "Indian", well, you were a *N*. It didn't mean you were bad...or there was anything wrong with them. Truth be told, the *N* word stuck around for as long as it did, because it rolled/rolls off the tongue a lot easier than negro.

**I know some of you are saying those words** Hahaha..... See? Isn't the *N* word more fun to say than, "negro"? Now you know why so many of us have had such a hard time getting rid of that word....or sayings that used to accompany it. We grew up calling Brazil nuts what? If we were really worried about something or fearfully apprehensive about something, we heard, "I was sweatin' like a *N* at election time."! Frankly, I had NO idea what that even meant...it was just more fun to say than, "I was so nervous, I was sweatin'". LOL

It blows my mind to think that our society is so friggin' PC, that people would make such an issue over this. What it's really about is the almighty dollar and politics of the entertainment industry.
Why is the N word so much fun to say?

My parents are around Paula Deen's age.

The N word was not used in our home growing up. And my mom was born in Georgia. The first time I heard the N word was in school from other kids. I guess my parents didn't think it was fun.

Also, maybe the Food Network was going to non-renew her contract ANYWAY because of the diabetes issue and the type of food she cooks, plus lowered ratings. Did they actually come out and say it was because of her admitted language?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
....and if she was? So? Good grief, there are television shows and plays, in which people "play" slaves. Some of them get paid to do so. If she were to choose to pay her waitstaff to act like "slaves", in order to pull off an "old fashioned" plantation wedding theme....big frickin' deal. She'd be paying them to ACT and serve food!

How about folks focus on the fact that the woman EMPLOYS those people, with a blind eye to skin color. How about folks focus on the fact that she's not so racist or mean, that she will ONLY hire white folks (cuz they're the only ones you can trust)! The backlash of this just shows how ignorant some people are.
Was she going to hire WHITES also to dress up as slaves to serve food at the wedding? If that were the case, then it would not be racist and would be truly colorblind, but I don't think so.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Had something to do with her using racial slurs.
I doubt there is anyone in the USA older than 14 who has not used racial slurs at one time or another.

Her discovery came out due to a deposition, not as if she were another Marge Schott(sp?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities